Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heisenberg

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Tell me what you know.
    I only know what you've told me. The council have built an outdoor seating area for restaurants to utilise should they choose to... and that involved them signing up to an app. Many have chosen not to and that's the council's fault, of course

You didn't reply to my earlier post.

Is it correct that if you order from an outlet that’s not on Castle St/Duke St that it’s £4.50 extra to cover delivery?

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it correct that if you order from an outlet that’s not on Castle St/Duke St that it’s £4.50 extra to cover delivery?
    I have no idea, but I do know that the original rules were that you had to order from the places taking part, that you had to order at least £10 worth of food and you could only have alcoholic drinks if you were eating.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I only know what you've told me. The council have built an outdoor seating area for restaurants to utilise should they choose to... and that involved them signing up to an app. Many have chosen not to and that's the council's fault, of course

You didn't reply to my earlier post.
    So I wasn't taking the piss, having the seating area in the Hayes would be no added benefit to the panini shop. Perhaps the traders didn't sign up to the app because the area was miles away from their places of business and the adverse comments on the food sent so far may have outweighed any benefits. Just a thought.

And gladly, I do not have any stricures on when or if I answer you posts, again tf.

As an added point it has now been decide that the area is being taken down on Sunday, but the council haven't decided what to do with the street.

As an added point it has now been decide that the area is being taken down on Sunday, but the council haven't decided what to do with the street.
    So they put an outdoor eating area up whilst the weather was good enough for it to be used then took it down when the weather turned bad?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So they put an outdoor eating area up whilst the weather was good enough for it to be used then took it down when the weather turned bad?
    Paninigate.

Any feedback on the financial success (or failure) as yet?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Any feedback on the financial success (or failure) as yet?
    I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times. It would have cost the Council money, i can't see how it wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times.
    Was it bollocks. It was about closing Castle Street - something the council have wanted to do for a long time. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Was it bollocks. It was about closing Castle Street - something the council have wanted to do for a long time. Simple as that.
    you're probably right.

Was in town on Monday. Saw them working in Castle Street and thought they were removing all the lane markings etc., then realized they were installing lane posts etc. All probably rather irrelevant though - Town was empty at midday. Walked through Howells and not a single person other than staff on the ground floor - John Lewis just two. The city centre isn't dying, it's already dead.

International

You do put it so eloquently.

I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times. It would have cost the Council money, i can't see how it wouldn't have.
    I meant from the food outlets point of view, they’re obviously in business to make money. I wonder if any of them achieved what they hoped for over the period that the area’s been open? It would be good to hear from them either, “ Yes, it was a success and we’re looking forward to it opening again” or “No, it wasn’t financially viable and we won’t be taking part if the scheme is revived”. The former would justify the council’s decision to create the food area, the latter, if the council are adamant on continuing the road closure, may, perhaps result in the authorities coming out and saying that they just want the road closed full stop without any cloak and dagger reason.

I reckon to use it as a road would be a good idea, there isn’t much traffic these days anyway. It’s down about 80% on what it was a year ago I heard, so may aswell leave it as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I reckon to use it as a road would be a good idea, there isn’t much traffic these days anyway. It’s down about 80% on what it was a year ago I heard, so may aswell leave it as it was.
    The council really don't want to re open the road, over the next ten years expect plenty more exercises like this. I'm all for getting people out of their vehicles, it wont work though until public transport is revolutionised in Cardiff and the surrounding areas. There has to be a point in time where people with cars start thinking about others when they decide to take a little joy ride across the city for no real reason.

The council really don't want to re open the road, over the next ten years expect plenty more exercises like this. I'm all for getting people out of their vehicles, it wont work though until public transport is revolutionised in Cardiff and the surrounding areas. There has to be a point in time where people with cars start thinking about others when they decide to take a little joy ride across the city for no real reason.
    I know, a mate of mine is quite high up in the council, says they’ve been dying to find an excuse for years.....

International

nothing wrong with that is there?

nothing wrong with that is there?
    No, exactly. But from some of the complaining on here about it over the past few months you'd think that they were planning on keeping it up all winter but only selling ice creams and sunglasses there

[QUOTE=delmbox;5126108]No, exactly. But from some of the complaining on here about it over the past few months you'd think that they were planning on keeping it up all winter but only selling ice creams, sunglasses and PANINIS there

No, exactly. But from some of the complaining on here about it over the past few months you'd think that they were planning on keeping it up all winter but only selling ice creams and sunglasses there
    Cold Panini sandwiches, more like.

With the reputation the place has got the ice cream would be freezing by the time it got to you!!!

International

got you! But frankly they only built the eatig area as an excuse to close the road, so now its closed they don't need the thing. They've had time to think of excuses not to open it again.
    I know people think I'm just banging on but you only have to go and spend some time in the city centre to see what their plans are doing to the place. It's almost criminal. But people should judge for themselves before they start attacking me. (I didn't mean you in that btw)