+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I suppose it depends where people want to be. Same thing was said when st marys street was pedestrianised. Greyfriars rd is central for the shops etc. Do you mean connecting bus routes, to the west of the city etc? Don't buses stop in Westgate st? Does the city circle bus still run? Incidentally, we do need a central bus station.
    What is the point of a bus station where planned if the buses can't get to it without driving all the way round the outside of the city to get to it?
    with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?) at the time that occurred it was against the wishes of the traders, and the night before it was due to be passed the councilor responsible for planning it and pushing it through resigned just before a vote of no confidence in him was taken. That having happened they still proceeded. Totally stupid.
    St Mary St now is dead compared to the people who used to visit the shops there 15 years ago. Another bit of the city ruined. And that demise feeds into the demise of Caste/Duke St and the Castle Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What is the point of a bus station where planned if the buses can't get to it without driving all the way round the outside of the city to get to it?
    with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?) at the time that occurred it was against the wishes of the traders, and the night before it was due to be passed the councilor responsible for planning it and pushing it through resigned just before a vote of no confidence in him was taken. That having happened they still proceeded. Totally stupid.
    St Mary St now is dead compared to the people who used to visit the shops there 15 years ago. Another bit of the city ruined. And that demise feeds into the demise of Caste/Duke St and the Castle Arcade.
    Right, so i'm presuming that the bus station was planned to go back in it's original position? If so, then why would buses have to drive all the way round the city to get to it? There are access roads, and quite frankly, cardiff aint Mexico City. As for St Mary's St, do you have evidence of a drop off in trade due to the pedestrianisation? Not just anecdotal.

International

Right, so i'm presuming that the bus station was planned to go back in it's original position? If so, then why would buses have to drive all the way round the city to get to it? There are access roads, and quite frankly, cardiff aint Mexico City. As for St Mary's St, do you have evidence of a drop off in trade due to the pedestrianisation? Not just anecdotal.
    Typical keyboarder, 'have you ant proof'. The proof is in your own eyes, go and look at the street. But to understand you have to know what it used to be like. Or you could ask the traders there, or perhaps better still the people who used to trade there an don't any more.
    As close as makes no difference the bus station is in the same place. And buses coming from the north, which includes from the east and using Eastern Avenue, used to go through Kingsway, down Castle St along St Mary St, (but could go down Westgate St). They clearly cannot do that now so have to go down western Avenue Cardiff Road which is already almost permanently gridlocked, and down Cathedral Road. That's around the houses enough for me. for buses coming from the east of the city it is even worse.

Typical keyboarder, 'have you ant proof'. The proof is in your own eyes, go and look at the street. But to understand you have to know what it used to be like. Or you could ask the traders there, or perhaps better still the people who used to trade there an don't any more.
    As close as makes no difference the bus station is in the same place. And buses coming from the north, which includes from the east and using Eastern Avenue, used to go through Kingsway, down Castle St along St Mary St, (but could go down Westgate St). They clearly cannot do that now so have to go down western Avenue Cardiff Road which is already almost permanently gridlocked, and down Cathedral Road. That's around the houses enough for me. for buses coming from the east of the city it is even worse.
    I'm struggling to understand you, sorry snaggs.

He needs to type his every post, proof read it two or three times and then press reply. Would get a point over a lot more coherently then. It seems as though he’s rushing through the words thinking they make sense but, sadly, failing.

International

Which part of that are you struggling to understand?

Which part of that are you struggling to understand?
    Most of it. In fairness though, you do need some proof in order to state as fact that Trade has dropped of in an area. You can't just say 'say what you see', it's hardly credible.

Most of it. In fairness though, you do need some proof in order to state as fact that Trade has dropped of in an area. You can't just say 'say what you see', it's hardly credible.
    In fairness to him, I visit HMV on Queen Street an average of once a week. I can guarantee you their trade has dropped off dramatically this year. I have no proof except for the fact that I'm often one of only two or three customers in there, whereas as it used to be reasonably busy most of the time.

Heisenberg

with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?)
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nope.
    Neither did i.

Nope.
    Neither did i.

I'm still waiting on a translation as well (from a different post, may I add)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's because he's so well travelled, overlapping of language and culture-LOM can speak 22 languages.

International

It's because he's so well travelled, overlapping of language and culture-LOM can speak 22 languages.
    What is that comment supposed to mean?
    You know nothing about how well travelled I may or may not be, nor what languages I might speak.

What is that comment supposed to mean?
    You know nothing about how well travelled I may or may not be, nor what languages I might speak.
    It was a joke, apologies if it has offended you.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I gave you a translation, but whether you read it or not is different. And it still wasn't a canal, look at the google map. It is too small for barges and it goes nowhere.

Unless you want something else explained of course.

International

Nope.
    It is St Mary St, not St Marys St.