+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Cardiff council said its public transport infrastructure was "not fit for purpose" because it was built for 200,000 people but needs to cope with the city's 335,000 population, as well as more than 100,000 daily commuters.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54124354

Perhaps they should have done something about this when the population exceeded 200,000?

International

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

They should have ensured the city's infrastructure kept pace with the growth.
    they are supposed to serve not obstruct!"

What’s commonly known as “Passing the Buck”. Talking to employers is a joke. Cardiff City Centre is probably the worst in the UK. No central bus station, so many bus lanes, and Park & Ride! That is a complete joke. The council is abysmal and that’s taking it as a positive. A friggin’ mess.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    They should have ensured the city's infrastructure kept pace with the growth.
    they are supposed to serve not obstruct!"
    I doubt many councils do this.

Never ceases to amaze me that people employed as city planners never plan for f*ck all. Their role is in the job title for God’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Perhaps they should have done something about this when the population exceeded 200,000?
    In the councils defence the population hit 200k around about 1905.

Most office workers in town will probably work from home in the future so will all this work be pointless?

Quote Originally Posted by ken smith View Post
    In the councils defence the population hit 200k around about 1905.

Most office workers in town will probably work from home in the future so will all this work be pointless?
    if government workers in Cardiff do stay home ,traffic will reduce! As will jobs in the supply industry

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post

Cardiff's population was over 243,00 in 1955 the year it was made a city
    It must have been over 200,000 for many years prior to that which means that its transport infrastructure probably hasn't been fit for purpose in getting on for a hundred years!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    It must have been over 200,000 for many years prior to that which means that its transport infrastructure probably hasn't been fit for purpose in getting on for a hundred years!
    Or to put it another way, they haven’t done f all for 70 years bar mess it up

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I doubt many councils do this.
    Does that make it acceptable?
    Go to the Manchester area and look at their tram system, it stretches miles and is a cheap and efficient way of getting around the city.
    This council is still talking about things like this and the Metro (Which Newcastle had 30 years ago). We don't even have a bus station and I doubt we ever will if they keep closing the roads to get to it.
    The City council is like the Welsh government on these things, M4 Relief Road, Metro system, joined up public Transport that delivers service to the whole community, fast link to the airport.
    They talk about them but they have no intention of doing anything about them. They just go around painting yellow lives everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Being a bit picky 1955 made Capital, 1905 made a City. To top it off council after council have failed miserably to get the City into 20 th century never mind 21st.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Being a bit picky 1955 made Capital, 1905 made a City. To top it off council after council have failed miserably to get the City into 20 th century never mind 21st.
    Yes sorry I meant Capital.

Greater Manchester and Tyneside have integrated metro travel systems because they are far bigger urban areas than Cardiff

Cardiff is a very small , congested city centre

But a lot of commuters

The train station , unlike those of Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester , Leeds , etc is very small and cannot take the capacity of trains needed

Cardiff grew very rapidly as a city , it still is and until central station is ripped up , some sort of underground is built its always going to be gridlocked

As for Central Square I will quite happily dismantle the BBC Wales building and stick it up at Coryton

What a stupid idea relocating a TV studio to the city centre was

International

The metro system is not about the centre of the city, it is about giving people in the Valleys and the outlying towns and districts around the city access quickly cleanly and efficiently to the city centre. That is the way you reduce the congestion and improve the air quality.
    But this council will attack car users all day long but give people no viable alternative. People living in llandrumney and the east of the city have no chance.
    The station can take more trains than it does now. you can go in there at many times of the day and see the empty platforms. a lot of The system that needs upgrading is already bringing trains into it, there just needs to be more. If they made some of the upper valley lines 2 line so trains could pass it might help, but to start doing that now will take years.
    The city was about 250,000 when I was a boy and has been growing ever since, so they have had 60 years to get this somewhere near right and they have done nothing.
    All they do is attack car users as I said. As in another thread, I believe this council is destroying my home city.
    What really rankles is that they know what they are doing and are doing it deliberately.
    They'd rather waste money putting tree pots in Wellfield road and obstructing the buses than do something about getting people to work efficiently

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    What’s commonly known as “Passing the Buck”. Talking to employers is a joke. Cardiff City Centre is probably the worst in the UK. No central bus station, so many bus lanes, and Park & Ride! That is a complete joke. The council is abysmal and that’s taking it as a positive. A friggin’ mess.
    Yeah there are definitely improvements to be made, but in my experience it is a long way from being the worst in the UK.

Every single time I've driven through Bristol or Bath the congestion has been unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Greater Manchester and Tyneside have integrated metro travel systems because they are far bigger urban areas than Cardiff

Cardiff is a very small , congested city centre

But a lot of commuters

The train station , unlike those of Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester , Leeds , etc is very small and cannot take the capacity of trains needed

Cardiff grew very rapidly as a city , it still is and until central station is ripped up , some sort of underground is built its always going to be gridlocked

As for Central Square I will quite happily dismantle the BBC Wales building and stick it up at Coryton

What a stupid idea relocating a TV studio to the city centre was
    thre isn't going to be any sort of underground built, you can forget about that

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    thre isn't going to be any sort of underground built, you can forget about that
    It's not needed, there are enough unused railway lines to accommodate passenger movement.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah there are definitely improvements to be made, but in my experience it is a long way from being the worst in the UK.

Every single time I've driven through Bristol or Bath the congestion has been unbelievable.
    lol Bath was built round a lump of congestion by the Romans I think

I used to like varying my hours at work.
    Go in late, then leave early to compensate.

All they do is attack car users as I said. As in another thread, I believe this council is destroying my home city.
    What really rankles is that they know what they are doing and are doing it deliberately.
    They'd rather waste money putting tree pots in Wellfield road and obstructing the buses than do something about getting people to work efficiently
    Don’t get us started on the Castle Street load of Balerics.
    Every time I pass, there is 2 people max using it.

Hopefully they get a move on with the Metro plans.

Cardiff Parkway and Crwys road stations will both be welcome additions. Still large areas though that won't have any decent public transport

Does that make it acceptable?
    Go to the Manchester area and look at their tram system, it stretches miles and is a cheap and efficient way of getting around the city.
    This council is still talking about things like this and the Metro (Which Newcastle had 30 years ago). We don't even have a bus station and I doubt we ever will if they keep closing the roads to get to it.
    The City council is like the Welsh government on these things, M4 Relief Road, Metro system, joined up public Transport that delivers service to the whole community, fast link to the airport.
    They talk about them but they have no intention of doing anything about them. They just go around painting yellow lives everywhere.
    Ah yes but yellow lives matter

It does seem that the strategy is to build houses first, plan the infrastructure second.

Planners, money for old rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Penybont Blue View Post
    Don’t get us started on the Castle Street load of Balerics.
    Every time I pass, there is 2 people max using it.
    I've seen it quite busy during the day when the weather is good. While it must be hugely infuriating for commuting, there's something quite pleasant about it without all the traffic that runs along there.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Ah yes but yellow lives matter

It does seem that the strategy is to build houses first, plan the infrastructure second.

Planners, money for old rope.
    It's the chicken and the egg scenario. Take businesses coming in to the city. They'll hardly be concerned about infrastructure and the council will hardly stop businesses coming in because of it, either.

There are also cities that have spent fortunes on infrastructure, been way too ambitious and found they'd wasted money on projects that either never started or were barely used and cancelled. Like many things, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Having said that, I do agree that Cardiff Council has dragged its feet on this for way too long. They won't be the first, they won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I've seen it quite busy during the day when the weather is good. While it must be hugely infuriating for commuting, there's something quite pleasant about it without all the traffic that runs along there.
    I don’t know what days you’ve seen it busy on !!!

I pass it every weekend, at about 12 noon and 6pm ish, never more than 2 tables being used and staff standing around like lemons.

2 weeks ago I videoed the whole length of it at 7pm on a Sunday, NOT ONE TABLE WAS BEING USED

Total waste of tax payers money !!!

Bring on the elections !