+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The council have already acknowledged that as the weather has changed the area is now redundant.
    But they have already hada meeting to try to find a reasonable excuse to keep the roads closed, including, as previously mentioned, one councilor stating they need the space for somewhere to put the Christmas market. All that will do is ensure that less people visit the market than they do now. But as the councils had effectively stopped people from coming to the city centre to shop anyway, that won't really matter.
    I read somewhere that the the effect of the councils actions all over the country was destroying town centre businesses and that now they are having to justify their stupidity to angry citizens, and apparently Cardiff centre is one of the worst affected in the country.
    It's time people let their opinions be known about that and about the deplorable state of public transport in the city and the surrounding areas.
    What a wonderful place to have the christmas market, right in front of the castle. The only criticism that i can offer is why wasn't this done years ago? Makes complete sense. Maybe the food area can relocate to the original Christmas market area, There's a Panini shop at the front of the queens arcade, so no waiting around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    What a wonderful place to have the christmas market, right in front of the castle. The only criticism that i can offer is why wasn't this done years ago? Makes complete sense. Maybe the food area can relocate to the original Christmas market area, There's a Panini shop at the front of the queens arcade, so no waiting around.
    A wonderful place to have it would be actually in the grounds of the castle, the ‘portcullis’ & ‘drawbridge’ part could be decorated to make an enticing entry. If it was good enough for the military tattoo, It’s a Knockout, Queen & 10cc it’d be marvellous for a Christmas market.

International

That is exactly where the food place should have been on day 1, I agree with you, it's perfect.
    hey wouldn't have had to close Castle Street.

As an edit to this, the panini shop wouldn't be able to use it for their customers if they haven't signed up for the ordering app. You may recall only about 11 businesses did, and if it wasn't one it would be barred, like the vast majority of other food places in the centre.
    Nothing like a council that considers everyone is there?

Heisenberg

The council have already acknowledged that as the weather has changed the area is now redundant.
    But they have already hada meeting to try to find a reasonable excuse to keep the roads closed, including, as previously mentioned, one councilor stating they need the space for somewhere to put the Christmas market. All that will do is ensure that less people visit the market than they do now. But as the councils had effectively stopped people from coming to the city centre to shop anyway, that won't really matter.
    I read somewhere that the the effect of the councils actions all over the country was destroying town centre businesses and that now they are having to justify their stupidity to angry citizens, and apparently Cardiff centre is one of the worst affected in the country.
    It's time people let their opinions be known about that and about the deplorable state of public transport in the city and the surrounding areas.
    You've been having a moan (rightfully so about public transport - debatable for the other stuff) for months. Why is now the time and not previously? What have you done other than share your gripes about the council on here (where local Govt. legislature and policy very rarely get altered)?

Heisenberg

That is exactly where the food place should have been on day 1, I agree with you, it's perfect.
    hey wouldn't have had to close Castle Street.

As an edit to this, the panini shop wouldn't be able to use it for their customers if they haven't signed up for the ordering app. You may recall only about 11 businesses did, and if it wasn't one it would be barred, like the vast majority of other food places in the centre.
    Nothing like a council that considers everyone is there?
    You're taking the piss, right?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You're taking the piss, right?
    Why do you think that?
    Tell me what you know.

Heisenberg

Why do you think that?
    Tell me what you know.
    I only know what you've told me. The council have built an outdoor seating area for restaurants to utilise should they choose to... and that involved them signing up to an app. Many have chosen not to and that's the council's fault, of course

You didn't reply to my earlier post.

Is it correct that if you order from an outlet that’s not on Castle St/Duke St that it’s £4.50 extra to cover delivery?

International

I only know what you've told me. The council have built an outdoor seating area for restaurants to utilise should they choose to... and that involved them signing up to an app. Many have chosen not to and that's the council's fault, of course

You didn't reply to my earlier post.
    So I wasn't taking the piss, having the seating area in the Hayes would be no added benefit to the panini shop. Perhaps the traders didn't sign up to the app because the area was miles away from their places of business and the adverse comments on the food sent so far may have outweighed any benefits. Just a thought.

And gladly, I do not have any stricures on when or if I answer you posts, again tf.

As an added point it has now been decide that the area is being taken down on Sunday, but the council haven't decided what to do with the street.

Heisenberg

So I wasn't taking the piss, having the seating area in the Hayes would be no added benefit to the panini shop. Perhaps the traders didn't sign up to the app because the area was miles away from their places of business and the adverse comments on the food sent so far may have outweighed any benefits. Just a thought.

And gladly, I do not have any stricures on when or if I answer you posts, again tf.

As an added point it has now been decide that the area is being taken down on Sunday, but the council haven't decided what to do with the street.
    "Perhaps the traders didn't sign up to the app because the area was miles away from their places of business".

You're seriously taking the piss now. "They should all be able to use the seating area. The council doesn't look after everyone", "the seating area is probably miles away". Make your mind up, Snags. You're just arguing with yourself at this point.

You don't have to answer anything... But you've been quick enough to moan about the public transport in Cardiff and the issues with Castle St.. now you're and telling everyone that they now need to be vocal about the issues you've raised.

Because of that, I thought you'd jump at the chance to answer a question about what you've done personally to vocalise your unhappiness with how the council is working (other than moan on here) so we may be able to follow suit.

Guess not.

So they put an outdoor eating area up whilst the weather was good enough for it to be used then took it down when the weather turned bad?

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    So they put an outdoor eating area up whilst the weather was good enough for it to be used then took it down when the weather turned bad?
    Paninigate.

Any feedback on the financial success (or failure) as yet?

I reckon to use it as a road would be a good idea, there isn’t much traffic these days anyway. It’s down about 80% on what it was a year ago I heard, so may aswell leave it as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I reckon to use it as a road would be a good idea, there isn’t much traffic these days anyway. It’s down about 80% on what it was a year ago I heard, so may aswell leave it as it was.
    The council really don't want to re open the road, over the next ten years expect plenty more exercises like this. I'm all for getting people out of their vehicles, it wont work though until public transport is revolutionised in Cardiff and the surrounding areas. There has to be a point in time where people with cars start thinking about others when they decide to take a little joy ride across the city for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Any feedback on the financial success (or failure) as yet?
    I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times. It would have cost the Council money, i can't see how it wouldn't have.

I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times.
    Was it bollocks. It was about closing Castle Street - something the council have wanted to do for a long time. Simple as that.

I don't think that was the whole point of the scheme, it was more about giving businesses another option in these difficult times. It would have cost the Council money, i can't see how it wouldn't have.
    I meant from the food outlets point of view, they’re obviously in business to make money. I wonder if any of them achieved what they hoped for over the period that the area’s been open? It would be good to hear from them either, “ Yes, it was a success and we’re looking forward to it opening again” or “No, it wasn’t financially viable and we won’t be taking part if the scheme is revived”. The former would justify the council’s decision to create the food area, the latter, if the council are adamant on continuing the road closure, may, perhaps result in the authorities coming out and saying that they just want the road closed full stop without any cloak and dagger reason.

The council really don't want to re open the road, over the next ten years expect plenty more exercises like this. I'm all for getting people out of their vehicles, it wont work though until public transport is revolutionised in Cardiff and the surrounding areas. There has to be a point in time where people with cars start thinking about others when they decide to take a little joy ride across the city for no real reason.
    I know, a mate of mine is quite high up in the council, says they’ve been dying to find an excuse for years.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Was it bollocks. It was about closing Castle Street - something the council have wanted to do for a long time. Simple as that.
    you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Was in town on Monday. Saw them working in Castle Street and thought they were removing all the lane markings etc., then realized they were installing lane posts etc. All probably rather irrelevant though - Town was empty at midday. Walked through Howells and not a single person other than staff on the ground floor - John Lewis just two. The city centre isn't dying, it's already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Was in town on Monday. Saw them working in Castle Street and thought they were removing all the lane markings etc., then realized they were installing lane posts etc. All probably rather irrelevant though - Town was empty at midday. Walked through Howells and not a single person other than staff on the ground floor - John Lewis just two. The city centre isn't dying, it's already dead.
    It is, god only knows what will be left after “they” decide to lift local lockdowns.....

International

"Perhaps the traders didn't sign up to the app because the area was miles away from their places of business".

You're seriously taking the piss now. "They should all be able to use the seating area. The council doesn't look after everyone", "the seating area is probably miles away". Make your mind up, Snags. You're just arguing with yourself at this point.

You don't have to answer anything... But you've been quick enough to moan about the public transport in Cardiff and the issues with Castle St.. now you're and telling everyone that they now need to be vocal about the issues you've raised.

Because of that, I thought you'd jump at the chance to answer a question about what you've done personally to vocalise your unhappiness with how the council is working (other than moan on here) so we may be able to follow suit.

Guess not.
    I don't recall saying that in this discussion.
    I've raised the public transport issue with my local councilor and he said they're more interested in stopping cars than in actually providing a reasonable alternative. It will take years to sort out public transport but they don't want to wait that long to get rid of cars.

International

nothing wrong with that is there?

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it correct that if you order from an outlet that’s not on Castle St/Duke St that it’s £4.50 extra to cover delivery?
    I have no idea, but I do know that the original rules were that you had to order from the places taking part, that you had to order at least £10 worth of food and you could only have alcoholic drinks if you were eating.