Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
Can I suggest that you Google Cardiff feeder and see what comes up. I just did and Cardiff parks came up first.....They call it the Feeder Canal...Yes I know people call it 'the feeder' but it is a canal.

Canals don't have to have boats on them. It was built by Bute to move water from the Taff to the docks to manage the water levels in the basins. It used to move about 50million gallons a day.
I don’t doubt your dictionary definition, you are undoubtedly correct. However, I maintain that what the Council is now calling a canal under Churchill Way has always been known to all ans sundry as the feeder including, up until this proposed scheme, the Council. When I started work for the Council, more years ago than i care to remember, what remained of the Glamorgan Canal within the boundaries of Cardiff was owned by the Council. Expenditure and income for it was accounted for it separately as a “Committee” like Housing, Highways, Education etc, were. It was always referred to as the “Canal” to differentiate it from the feeder. It may seem strange to account separately for a defunct canal that was mostly filled in but there was a significant land holding. In a later existence in the Council I worked in the Parks HQ in Heath Park where the watercourse that comes off the Taff at Blackweir was always called the feeder. There is no doubt that the word canal is more alluring than “Docks Feeder” so it is understandable why the Council would now want to call it something that it wasn’t called before.