+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    There are also cities that have spent fortunes on infrastructure, been way too ambitious and found they'd wasted money on projects that either never started or were barely used and cancelled.
    try telling that to Brockway, Ogdenville or North Haverbrook

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Greater Manchester and Tyneside have integrated metro travel systems because they are far bigger urban areas than Cardiff

Cardiff is a very small , congested city centre

But a lot of commuters

The train station , unlike those of Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester , Leeds , etc is very small and cannot take the capacity of trains needed

Cardiff grew very rapidly as a city , it still is and until central station is ripped up , some sort of underground is built its always going to be gridlocked

As for Central Square I will quite happily dismantle the BBC Wales building and stick it up at Coryton

What a stupid idea relocating a TV studio to the city centre was
    Not to mention the 20,30/000 houses they are already starting to build in the western suburbs, wanting to add another 100k to the existing population. From Radyr out to st fagans and creigiau it’s madness. No thought to infrastructure to get commuters in an already grid lock llantrisant rd or through fairwater.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I don’t know what days you’ve seen it busy on !!!

I pass it every weekend, at about 12 noon and 6pm ish, never more than 2 tables being used and staff standing around like lemons.

2 weeks ago I videoed the whole length of it at 7pm on a Sunday, NOT ONE TABLE WAS BEING USED

Total waste of tax payers money !!!

Bring on the elections !
    Can we see the video? not one table? I agree it is a load of guff....we dont need it there. You have the whole of st Mary Street, the Hayes, church street, mill lane already just to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not to mention the 20,30/000 houses they are already starting to build in the western suburbs, wanting to add another 100k to the existing population. From Radyr out to st fagans and creigiau it’s madness. No thought to infrastructure to get commuters in an already grid lock llantrisant rd or through fairwater.
    Let's just have working from home as a default option if possible in wales, then problem solved

International

I don’t know what days you’ve seen it busy on !!!

I pass it every weekend, at about 12 noon and 6pm ish, never more than 2 tables being used and staff standing around like lemons.

2 weeks ago I videoed the whole length of it at 7pm on a Sunday, NOT ONE TABLE WAS BEING USED

Total waste of tax payers money !!!

Bring on the elections !
    You forget that the real purpose was to get people used to Castle st being impassible so they can close it permanently . People actually using the place is incidental. It was closed a month before they did anything. But again they want to close that but do nothing about the disruption to bus routes and people going to and from work and using the shops. They don't care about tgat

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Let's just have working from home as a default option if possible in wales, then problem solved
    How do we have the conversation on redundancies for lower paid workers such as bus drivers , coffee houses , eateries etc ,all who make money provide jobs from city center workers , we could see less public transport as a result and create a ghost town with just cheap kebabs eat outs , and pound shops , suppose we could blame the UK government for that one .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    How do we have the conversation on redundancies for lower paid workers such as bus drivers , coffee houses , eateries etc ,all who make money provide jobs from city center workers , we could see less public transport as a result and create a ghost town with just cheap kebabs eat outs , and pound shops , suppose we could blame the UK government for that one .
    I;ve eaten out at lunchtime about as much as I do working from home as I would in the office, just more likely to spend my money in a local cafe or restaurant than in a greggs or subway.
    Also I've done more shopping now I'm able to structure my day more flexibly (not that I do much)

Make working from home the norm at least half the week and you have other benefits, like people can commute further if they aren't doing it every day, so more money could make it way into the valleys towns from Cardiff - and then into valleys cafes and restaurants for lunches.
    I don't think the uptake of working from home would ever be enough to make cardiff centre a ghost town

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The metro system is not about the centre of the city, it is about giving people in the Valleys and the outlying towns and districts around the city access quickly cleanly and efficiently to the city centre. That is the way you reduce the congestion and improve the air quality.
    But this council will attack car users all day long but give people no viable alternative. People living in llandrumney and the east of the city have no chance.
    The station can take more trains than it does now. you can go in there at many times of the day and see the empty platforms. a lot of The system that needs upgrading is already bringing trains into it, there just needs to be more. If they made some of the upper valley lines 2 line so trains could pass it might help, but to start doing that now will take years.
    The city was about 250,000 when I was a boy and has been growing ever since, so they have had 60 years to get this somewhere near right and they have done nothing.
    All they do is attack car users as I said. As in another thread, I believe this council is destroying my home city.
    What really rankles is that they know what they are doing and are doing it deliberately.
    They'd rather waste money putting tree pots in Wellfield road and obstructing the buses than do something about getting people to work efficiently
    Just because there are empty platforms doesn't necessarily mean there is room in the lines, unless you want them to start hopping over one another as they travel up and down the valley lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I;ve eaten out at lunchtime about as much as I do working from home as I would in the office, just more likely to spend my money in a local cafe or restaurant than in a greggs or subway.
    Also I've done more shopping now I'm able to structure my day more flexibly (not that I do much)

Make working from home the norm at least half the week and you have other benefits, like people can commute further if they aren't doing it every day, so more money could make it way into the valleys towns from Cardiff - and then into valleys cafes and restaurants for lunches.
    I don't think the uptake of working from home would ever be enough to make cardiff centre a ghost town
    Hope your right, and the WAG and Council have a plan to manage it in a good way that considers everyone not just office workers best interests .

International

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Just because there are empty platforms doesn't necessarily mean there is room in the lines, unless you want them to start hopping over one another as they travel up and down the valley lines.
    As I said, if some of the valley lines were made 2 track instead of single track they wouldn't need to hop over each other.
    Also everything that stop at Queen St doesn't stop or need to stop at Central..
    There is room and time, it just takes planning, which this council appears to be incapable of.

A light railway line could be built up the Rhymney River valley, that would serve Llanedeyrn, Pentwyn, Llanrumney, and Pontprennau, and even further. There's nothing in the way, so it could be done fairly easily. Will it happen? Will it f**k.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    A light railway line could be built up the Rhymney River valley, that would serve Llanedeyrn, Pentwyn, Llanrumney, and Pontprennau, and even further. There's nothing in the way, so it could be done fairly easily. Will it happen? Will it f**k.
    aren't there a shit load of houses in the way?

I mean I'd love to see it but I'm sure they've considered this

The city planners just don’t plan!!! Cardiff’s suburbs are relatively new compared to a lot of other UK cities, Ely is perhaps coming up a hundred years old perhaps ( not old really) but Caerau, Fairwater (especially Pentrebane), Danescourt etc to the west, Llanrumney, Rumney, Trowbridge, St Mellon’s etc to the east, not to mention Pentwyn, Llanedeyrn, Pontprennau etc and now there the newer estates under construction. When these estates were being developed massive groundworks were taking place, huge excavations yet the city planners didn’t think to plan ahead!!!!! Perhaps an underground system could have been incorporated, certainly some kind of transport system other than the pitiful road systems we have. OK there would have been disruption and a bit of chaos when these new systems reached the older inner city suburbs but places like Manchester, Sheffield etc overcame the problems and they now reap the benefits. One glaring example of shite planning is Llanrumney, a huge estate, God knows how many people live there, two cars or more per household perhaps, Eastern Avenue can be seen across the fields from the bottom of the estate yet there are only two ways in and out, Mount Pleasant Avenue & Llanrumney Avenue... madness!! Our city planners couldn’t plan a trip to Barry Island!!!

Great pity that they ripped up the tracks the coal trains from the valleys, that used to run through Llanishen, ROATH and Splott.

Great pity that they ripped up the tracks the coal trains from the valleys, that used to run through Llanishen, ROATH and Splott.
    Exactly, as I keep banging on about, what are our city planners planning? Before a brick is laid on a house the plans are in place to get the shit out of it long before a flush is pulled, yet the bricks have been laid on thousands of Cardiff houses with no clue how to allow the residents to easily travel away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Exactly, as I keep banging on about, what are our city planners planning? Before a brick is laid on a house the plans are in place to get the shit out of it long before a flush is pulled, yet the bricks have been laid on thousands of Cardiff houses with no clue how to allow the residents to easily travel away from them.
    Exactly Steve

They even built houses, where the tracks used to be over the Sandies (fields behind Newport Road, for our younger viewers)

Cars are the main problem, as is the regimented 8 to 5, pointless job, work regime. Also the shortsightedness that blights every city council. What we need is the.. Monorail!

International

Quote Originally Posted by clearly offside ¯\_(?) View Post
    Cars are the main problem, as is the regimented 8 to 5, pointless job, work regime. Also the shortsightedness that blights every city council. What we need is the.. Monorail!
    Cars are the answer. Complete lack of a viable public transport infrastructure is the problem.
    Solve that problem and a lot of the cars will stay in their driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by clearly offside ¯\_(?) View Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54219886

More than 20% of jobs could be axed from Cardiff's council-owned bus operator due to a drop in passengers because of the coronavirus crisis.

International

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54219886

More than 20% of jobs could be axed from Cardiff's council-owned bus operator due to a drop in passengers because of the coronavirus crisis.
    However if they attempted to revert the public transport to pre-virus levels they may get more people using it and less using their cars.
    Axing bus jobs and reducing the service is just about typical of this council sending signals out to encourage people to leave their cars at home and use public transport.
    It beggars belief!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54474753

Cardiff has seen the weakest post-lockdown return of shoppers of any city apart from London, research suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54474753

Cardiff has seen the weakest post-lockdown return of shoppers of any city apart from London, research suggests.
    Popped in today. It’s like a ghost town, full of miserable looking people. The complete opposite of a year ago. God knows what it will be like in another few months when most restaurants and bars have gone bust. Even normally busy shops like Next are deserted. Really missing the large numbers of office workers like London is....

All the people are rushing to Castle Street to have a cold panini

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The city planners just don’t plan!!! Cardiff’s suburbs are relatively new compared to a lot of other UK cities, Ely is perhaps coming up a hundred years old perhaps ( not old really) but Caerau, Fairwater (especially Pentrebane), Danescourt etc to the west, Llanrumney, Rumney, Trowbridge, St Mellon’s etc to the east, not to mention Pentwyn, Llanedeyrn, Pontprennau etc and now there the newer estates under construction. When these estates were being developed massive groundworks were taking place, huge excavations yet the city planners didn’t think to plan ahead!!!!! Perhaps an underground system could have been incorporated, certainly some kind of transport system other than the pitiful road systems we have. OK there would have been disruption and a bit of chaos when these new systems reached the older inner city suburbs but places like Manchester, Sheffield etc overcame the problems and they now reap the benefits. One glaring example of shite planning is Llanrumney, a huge estate, God knows how many people live there, two cars or more per household perhaps, Eastern Avenue can be seen across the fields from the bottom of the estate yet there are only two ways in and out, Mount Pleasant Avenue & Llanrumney Avenue... madness!! Our city planners couldn’t plan a trip to Barry Island!!!
    The population of Llanrumney is around 11,000.