+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

International

Re: Cardiff's staggered work hours plan to cut city centre congestion

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    I respect everything that you have written on this topic and Castle Street, BUT, these sentences may sound great in your head, BUT read them back.

They make no sense at all
    The poster said if they restore the canal in Churchill way it will mess up the traffic at the end. I point out that if they only uncover what was originally uncovered it will not in fact disrupt the traffic. It always went underground before that point and re-emerged just north of Hurbert St as already mentioned. Any further explanation required, please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    How far from the original spot have they moved it?

From what is supposed to be the Central Bus Station, (still waiting, what is it now 20 years ?), to Greyfriers.

It's not to bad for me, as I treat walking as an exercise, but for people older (i'm 69), infirm, mothers with kids, I can see it's a right pain in the backside

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The poster said if they restore the canal in Churchill way it will mess up the traffic at the end. I point out that if they only uncover what was originally uncovered it will not in fact disrupt the traffic. It always went underground before that point and re-emerged just north of Hurbert St as already mentioned. Any further explanation required, please ask.

It wasn't underground, it was an actual canal with barges on it.

It pointless trying to explain it, as it doesn't make any sense, even when you've tried to explain it.

From what is supposed to be the Central Bus Station, (still waiting, what is it now 20 years ?), to Greyfriers.

It's not to bad for me, as I treat walking as an exercise, but for people older (i'm 69), infirm, mothers with kids, I can see it's a right pain in the backside
    I suppose it depends where people want to be. Same thing was said when st marys street was pedestrianised. Greyfriars rd is central for the shops etc. Do you mean connecting bus routes, to the west of the city etc? Don't buses stop in Westgate st? Does the city circle bus still run? Incidentally, we do need a central bus station.

International

I suppose it depends where people want to be. Same thing was said when st marys street was pedestrianised. Greyfriars rd is central for the shops etc. Do you mean connecting bus routes, to the west of the city etc? Don't buses stop in Westgate st? Does the city circle bus still run? Incidentally, we do need a central bus station.
    What is the point of a bus station where planned if the buses can't get to it without driving all the way round the outside of the city to get to it?
    with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?) at the time that occurred it was against the wishes of the traders, and the night before it was due to be passed the councilor responsible for planning it and pushing it through resigned just before a vote of no confidence in him was taken. That having happened they still proceeded. Totally stupid.
    St Mary St now is dead compared to the people who used to visit the shops there 15 years ago. Another bit of the city ruined. And that demise feeds into the demise of Caste/Duke St and the Castle Arcade.

International

It wasn't underground, it was an actual canal with barges on it.

It pointless trying to explain it, as it doesn't make any sense, even when you've tried to explain it.
    It wasn't a canal, it is a feeder for the Alexandra dock, built specifically from the Taff at blackweir to the dock to keep the water level up at low tides.

Lovely isn't it, sending visitors to our wonderful city, to Sophia Gardens.

Just right to get mugged, walking into city centre in the dark.

What is the point of a bus station where planned if the buses can't get to it without driving all the way round the outside of the city to get to it?
    with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?) at the time that occurred it was against the wishes of the traders, and the night before it was due to be passed the councilor responsible for planning it and pushing it through resigned just before a vote of no confidence in him was taken. That having happened they still proceeded. Totally stupid.
    St Mary St now is dead compared to the people who used to visit the shops there 15 years ago. Another bit of the city ruined. And that demise feeds into the demise of Caste/Duke St and the Castle Arcade.
    Right, so i'm presuming that the bus station was planned to go back in it's original position? If so, then why would buses have to drive all the way round the city to get to it? There are access roads, and quite frankly, cardiff aint Mexico City. As for St Mary's St, do you have evidence of a drop off in trade due to the pedestrianisation? Not just anecdotal.

Heisenberg

with regard to the pedestrianising of St Mary St (see what I did there?)
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    There was the Glamorganshire canal which, as you say, stops now north of the city. The other Cardiff canal is the feeder canal which was used to convey water from the River Taff to the docks. Not built for boats, it none the less qualifies as a 'canal'..

Perhaps the Churchill Way “Canal” will be the new Chippy Lane in terms of naming controversy

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Not to mention the 20,30/000 houses they are already starting to build in the western suburbs, wanting to add another 100k to the existing population. From Radyr out to st fagans and creigiau it’s madness. No thought to infrastructure to get commuters in an already grid lock llantrisant rd or through fairwater.
    Agreed, although I'm happy enough living in the Rhondda, I'd still prefer to live in Cardiff if I could afford it, but I wasn't unhappy moving from Fairwater because it was easy to see what was coming and, as you say, it was bad enough before the building began.

Lovely isn't it, sending visitors to our wonderful city, to Sophia Gardens.

Just right to get mugged, walking into city centre in the dark.
    You're stretching it a bit now. How many tourists have been mugged or harassed due to the change? If you recall, the central bus station was frequented by some lovely characters, There was a problem there with male prostitution, alcoholics etc, i'd take my chances at Sophia gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Nope.
    Neither did i.

Nope.
    Neither did i.

I'm still waiting on a translation as well (from a different post, may I add)

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Agreed, although I'm happy enough living in the Rhondda, I'd still prefer to live in Cardiff if I could afford it, but I wasn't unhappy moving from Fairwater because it was easy to see what was coming and, as you say, it was bad enough before the building began.
    Come on Bob, we all know that you're going to make a fortune from your book I'm going to order it this evening

It's because he's so well travelled, overlapping of language and culture-LOM can speak 22 languages.

Herbert St, please, my mother used to live there

Greyfriars rd is central for the shops etc.
    Greyfriars Road is also small, with one lane in each direction. It’s simply not big enough to be a hub for more than a handful of buses. They have nowhere to stop and wait. Therefore, the timetable has become a work of fiction. Also, drivers have nowhere to take their breaks, so when they are due one or they are knocking off from a shift they have to park the bus in the limited space on Greyfriars and take a ten minute trek across the city centre to their depot.

I’ve been using the buses from North Cardiff to get in and out of town on a very regular basis for all of my adult life. The services have never been so erratic and the system has never been less customer-friendly than it is at present. That’s not anecdotal. That’s my own experience.

International

Nope.
    It is St Mary St, not St Marys St.

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Herbert St, please, my mother used to live there
    Sorry pardon!!!

International

I gave you a translation, but whether you read it or not is different. And it still wasn't a canal, look at the google map. It is too small for barges and it goes nowhere.

Unless you want something else explained of course.

International

Right, so i'm presuming that the bus station was planned to go back in it's original position? If so, then why would buses have to drive all the way round the city to get to it? There are access roads, and quite frankly, cardiff aint Mexico City. As for St Mary's St, do you have evidence of a drop off in trade due to the pedestrianisation? Not just anecdotal.
    Typical keyboarder, 'have you ant proof'. The proof is in your own eyes, go and look at the street. But to understand you have to know what it used to be like. Or you could ask the traders there, or perhaps better still the people who used to trade there an don't any more.
    As close as makes no difference the bus station is in the same place. And buses coming from the north, which includes from the east and using Eastern Avenue, used to go through Kingsway, down Castle St along St Mary St, (but could go down Westgate St). They clearly cannot do that now so have to go down western Avenue Cardiff Road which is already almost permanently gridlocked, and down Cathedral Road. That's around the houses enough for me. for buses coming from the east of the city it is even worse.

If they only restore what was it won't be. It never went that far above ground

Can anyone understand this ?

"what was it won't be" ???????????

International

The poster said, "On the down side the southern end of Churchill Way is a main route for traffic, so yet an other pain in the backside for drivers trying to get across the city."
    If they only uncover the part they covered it won't be a pain in the backside because the bit the poster was referring to was never uncovered in the first place.

The poster said, "On the down side the southern end of Churchill Way is a main route for traffic, so yet an other pain in the backside for drivers trying to get across the city."
    If they only uncover the part they covered it won't be a pain in the backside because the bit the poster was referring to was never uncovered in the first place.
    Still, "what was it won't be" ?????