+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Leandro Bacuna + selected midfield stats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Leandro Bacuna + selected midfield stats

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Does that mean you'd say no to a Barry Bannan type?
    Bannan can run forward with the ball and pass and receive it back quickly from what ive seen of him.

I cant help thinking we made him look far better than he is on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bannan can run forward with the ball and pass and receive it back quickly from what ive seen of him.

I cant help thinking we made him look far better than he is on Saturday.
    Bannan sometimes played a as winger when he was young as I remember, so that suggests that he could run at players, but I've not seen him doing that much lately and at 31 in December, I wouldn't expect him to. Bannan makes others play by good, accurate passing which enables them to receive the ball in space - McPhail used to do that for us. I can't say I've seen many, if any, Championship central midfielders these days who would run at opponents with the ball in the middle of the park, as opposed to the wings, and go past them in the manner of, to use Rock Flock of Five's term, a ball carrier - the game isn't like that now, central midfield players, especially in deeper areas, are told to pass the ball rather than retain it and look to go past opponents, they may have to beat a pressing opponent, but then it's move the ball on.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bannan sometimes played a as winger when he was young as I remember, so that suggests that he could run at players, but I've not seen him doing that much lately and at 31 in December, I wouldn't expect him to. Bannan makes others play by good, accurate passing which enables them to receive the ball in space - McPhail used to do that for us. I can't say I've seen many, if any, Championship central midfielders these days who would run at opponents with the ball in the middle of the park, as opposed to the wings, and go past them in the manner of, to use Rock Flock of Five's term, a ball carrier - the game isn't like that now, central midfield players, especially in deeper areas, are told to pass the ball rather than retain it and look to go past opponents, they may have to beat a pressing opponent, but then it's move the ball on.
    people with that kind of skillset in central midfield are termed as being "press resistant" these days, and their close control and ability to beat a man is used to beat the press and set up an attack against reduced numbers. moussa dembele was very good at doing that for spurs.
    I think even those players, once they've beaten their man would probably be looking to pass the ball forward rather than drive it up field in the majority of cases, as you keep the team shape better.

Jordon Mutch was good at carrying the ball forward for us from cm positions

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    people with that kind of skillset in central midfield are termed as being "press resistant" these days, and their close control and ability to beat a man is used to beat the press and set up an attack against reduced numbers. moussa dembele was very good at doing that for spurs.
    I think even those players, once they've beaten their man would probably be looking to pass the ball forward rather than drive it up field in the majority of cases, as you keep the team shape better.

Jordon Mutch was good at carrying the ball forward for us from cm positions
    Mutch is the last one I can remember who was able to do it - I always thought Dembele was an excellent player, not sure why he kind of faded out of the picture at Spurs.