+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It was 20 years ago today

It was 20 years ago today

I woke up in a London detox and have not had a drink or a drug since 20 years sober today.

Re: It was 20 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    I woke up in a London detox and have not had a drink or a drug since 20 years sober today.
    Congratulations, what a great effort

Well played butt.

That I bet has taken strength and determination.

Well done

Well done mate. Just over 4 years for me and people like you still inspire me daily.

Well done to any one that escapes the clutches of addiction.

It’s difficult for me to relate to as I’ve always enjoyed alcohol as one of life’s pleasures but it obviously can have the opposite effect.

I’d like to understand more about the evolution of the disease and expect that it differs totally from person to person.

Does it start with a few beers with friends and escalate to harder wine and spirits... over what period of time etc etc.

No need to answer if it’s too personal or raw... it’s only curiosity on my part to try and understand better

Sounds a stupid question but what are the benefits you have experienced?

I'm looking for the more rare benefits of it really.

I've thought of giving up drinking a few times. Not a problem with it I wouldn't say but obviously the health benefits and hangovers get worse and longer as you get older.
    Drinking socially seems to be everywhere though, especially when looking to stop.

Oh and well done by the way.

Great effort.

I is a fantastic thing to hear,a mate of mine used to have two ciders before going to work.He had a major health scare he has not drunk for ten years.Well done

Well done mate

We all have our demons

One day at a time

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Well done mate. Just over 4 years for me and people like you still inspire me daily.
    and well done to you too

Serenity

Well done. I had an alcoholic father who also happened to be a chain smoker. One or the other eventually killed him. Probably the fact I don't drink or smoke has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Well done to any one that escapes the clutches of addiction.

It’s difficult for me to relate to as I’ve always enjoyed alcohol as one of life’s pleasures but it obviously can have the opposite effect.

I’d like to understand more about the evolution of the disease and expect that it differs totally from person to person.

Does it start with a few beers with friends and escalate to harder wine and spirits... over what period of time etc etc.

No need to answer if it’s too personal or raw... it’s only curiosity on my part to try and understand better
    I cannot speak about alcohol as I cant stand the taste of the stuff

My substance abuse problems started with a few joints as a youngster then developed into regular use , it gave me confidence in social situations , I thought I was interesting conversation but much like today it was complete nonsense

Well done, mate. Tremendous news.

StT.
    <><

well done sir!

Its a beautiful world out there and much of it more enjoyable in sobriety.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing

apart from escaping from reality I see nothing attractive at all in consuming ten pints of coloured water that tastes rancid , costs 3 quid a time , leads to fights , arguments, accidents and banging headaches the next day

Alcoholism is a serious illness though that needs expert help and the support of health services and friends

Just as drug addiction does

Sadly with both there is a point where no more can be done

Well done to anyone who has got clean and sober

Working in a psychiatric unit I see first hand what drugs and alcohol can do to people and it ain’t pretty

Well done to you sir for kicking your habit, 20 years clean is a great effort

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Working in a psychiatric unit I see first hand what drugs and alcohol can do to people and it ain’t pretty

Well done to you sir for kicking your habit, 20 years clean is a great effort
    absolutely, what a top man

Wow guy's thanks for all the good wishes and support. To answer some of the questions, firstly my drug of choice was what ever you got and whatever you got was usually my favourite. Embassy number 6 was the first thing I was hooked on just after starting Afon taf high school aged 11, then flagons of cider in the parks and bus shelters weren't to long after.

I started popping pills like black bombers and blueys and started to go to northern soul clubs at about 14 and that went on for 10 years I was having a great time was young and could handle the downers.

Over the years i swapped one drug for another I realise now that it was just like swapping seats on the titanic I was going down, I just didn't realise that alcohol was the problem because everyone drank in Merthyr when I grew up and I didn't view it as a drug.

In 1997 I had a detox in NYC and was introduced to AA, there a seed was planted in my head that there was another way to live life. I drank and used for another 3 years and finally got back into a detox in Marylebone and detoxed of everything. Started going to meetings sober day's turned into months and now I have two decades.

I have things in my life today which I could have never dreamed of, things like peace of mind, emotional balance and a sense of direction in life which are all promises of AA, I have travelled far and wide bought nice cars from showrooms and have never not had a pound in my pocket since cleaning up. Last night I took my wife and my son to the Ritz in London for a nice bit of fine dining to celebrate this remarkable anniversary, because I too have worked in psychiatric wards and drug and alcohol services and know that most people die from active addiction sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly.

Well done. You are obviously very proud of your achievement, and you should be. I haven't had a problem myself but know lots of people who have had issues with drink and drugs. I also know of youngsters you have died after being sold tablets and taking just one. It would frighten me to take anything like that.

I think a lot of people are in denial about their alcohol consumption but that is as dangerous, and more common, than drug abuse.

The only thing I did was smoke, 20+ B&H a day until I started getting pains in legs. I went to the doctor and he told me to give up or else I would have trouble later in life. That was 28 February 1983 and now cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

I am however addicted to a football team that has caused me problems for 50 years! Lots of highs and lots of lows too.

They do say the best counsellors are the ones who have had the problem themselves.

All the best.

What an absolute achievement! Well done mate!

The same day that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play!

Well done
    You should be very proud

That's fantastic. Well done.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Inspirational message. Good on you mate for sticking to your pledge.

I was told by a GP that a fair number of GPs have drink related problems. How true it is I don’t know but it’s very concerning if true.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Inspirational message. Good on you mate for sticking to your pledge.

I was told by a GP that a fair number of GPs have drink related problems. How true it is I don’t know but it’s very concerning if true.
    Someone once said that the definition of a alcoholic is someone who drinks more than their doctor.