+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dogs

Re: Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Some years ago, my mate in St Mekllonms got a dog from Penarth - put a cloor with adress and phone on it, couple of days later got an irate phone call from the previous owner - turned out the dog used to live a couple of streets away, and it found its way back.
    Well he would on the Greek island of Mekllonms, it’s only small.

I see my Staffy is rated stupid and something of a mid table mediocrity - I'd say the first bit is right, but i wouldn't swap for any of the other "hot dog" breeds!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I bought once. Then I went to the pound.

I don't necessarily feel better about myself going to the pound as the problem with pounds aren't those of us that choose not to adopt, it's those of us who abandon animals.

However, if you are a dog lover and pay a visit to a place like that , you'll find it impossible not to walk away with one of them. It's a crap life compared to what they could be having with you.
    Absolutely right. I've had three rescue dogs. My first was a stray that was hanging around my area for a few days which I took in years ago.

A special bond develops when a dog has previously had a shit life because they become fiercely loyal and thankful.

There's loads to consider first though. The OP's reason for getting a dog (because he's home working) isn't a good reason though. What happens when he goes back to work, etc?

Also, how much patience is there in the household? Rescue dogs can be quite destructive in the first few days/weeks whilst they get used to their new surroundings.

I live in a fairly quiet area and the first week after bringing our two home from Llys Nini in Swansea, they struggled to cope with the quietness of nighttime, with no dogs constantly barking etc. It didn't take them long to settle though.

Unfortunately, mine had a terrible life before going into the re-homing centre. They were particularly bad cruelty cases but now they've got a life of luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    They make a hell of a racket just breathing!
    Defiantly not low maintenance either, you'll be in the vets before long then you'll have to have its nose drilled open so it can breath.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Defiantly not low maintenance either, you'll be in the vets before long then you'll have to have its nose drilled open so it can breath.
    The costly trips won't matter to the new owners though as they've already paid thousands for the privilege of owning one.
    Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well he would on the Greek island of Mekllonms, it’s only small.
    Bloody fat fingers!

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-54167984

I used to work in an animal sanctuary and can confirm that 95% of the dogs in there would make brilliant pets.

Also, if you are interested in one you can arrange 3/4 visits so you can get “a feel” if it’s the right dog for you

You just need to take care because a few of them are messed up mainly because they have been treated badly and have behavioural problems. The guys in the sanctuary will make you aware of these problems but in my experience unfortunately it’s best to walk away from these as they can be really hard work

The adoption fees are about £200 but for that you do usually get a neutered, fully wormed and a dog given the all clear by a vet

A woman I know is about to pay 1500 for a pedigree French bulldog

She has always had pedigree inbred French bulldogs

Gets heartbroken when they die at 6 through genetic problems

Then a week later shes got another one

With fecking stupid names like belladonna

Told her to stop wasting her money and go get a stray

I think people like her are not animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I think people like her are not animal lovers
    I agree. It's all about status. What that status is, I don't know.

Maybe Kimberley Kardashian did it once.

So because people choose a particular breed instead of taking a stray off the street they aren't animal lovers?

Why is everything so black and ****ing white on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    So because people choose a particular breed instead of taking a stray off the street they aren't animal lovers?

Why is everything so black and ****ing white on this board.
    I think specifically French Bulldogs because of the known health problems and suffering they go through. Darwin they aint.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I think specifically French Bulldogs because of the known health problems and suffering they go through. Darwin they aint.
    I understand the issues they go through, friends have them and my daughter also has one, but for someone to say people don't love their pets because they have their head up their arse about being unique edgy and cool on a football messageboard...