+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Fowler was useful

But in recent memory for me , box to box , with a share of goals , incisive passing and free kicks there is only one

Kav

Re: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Does Jason Koumas count?

He only appeared 18 times for us during a loan spell, however, Eddie Newton seemed to have all the requirements of what you'd want from a midfielder... good passer, could drive forward with the ball and always seemed to take the right option.

If we're talking about all round midfield players, then Kav is there in contention among the best we've had in the last twenty five years certainly, but as a "play maker" as I understand the term? I'm not so sure.

Jason Fowler deserves a mention, but he would be easily beaten by the likes of the already mentioned Jason Koumas, as well as others such as Steve McPhail, Whitts and, on last season's form, Lee Tomlin.

In his short stay with us Gary O’Neil made a real difference to how we played.

In my 60 yrs watching City one stands out by a country mile ... Ian Gibson.

StT.
    <><

In my 60 years watching City one stands out by a country mile ... Ian Gibson.

StT.
    <><

Jason Fowler was good in the league we were in.

But Koumas O Neill Whittingham Ramsey Tomlin were on a completely different level.

Id put Koumas top as Ramsey was wasted by Dave Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post
    In my 60 years watching City one stands out by a country mile ... Ian Gibson.

StT.
    <><
    I'll second that, what a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski View Post
    In his short stay with us Gary O’Neil made a real difference to how we played.
    Great player

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Does Jason Koumas count?
    too enigmatic

had many days when he couldn't be arsed

Whitts

Witts had a few on and off seasons but on his day a magician

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    I'll second that, what a genius.
    Gibson was primarily a winger wasn't he, so therefore wouldn't qualify in the playmaker category but certainly one of the best wide players we ever had. Whittingham for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Id put Koumas top as Ramsey was wasted by Dave Jones.
    Ramsey was like 16 ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ramsey was like 16 ffs

Rambo was pure class and was always going to move on but he was criminally underused by jones

If he's good enough , he's in the team etc

The great thing about mcphail, he dictated play from a deep position for many of his seasons with us, which meant we could have attacking wingers or other attacking midfielders in the same XI or 2 up front etc and retain the creativity in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Rambo was pure class and was always going to move on but he was criminally underused by jones

You can destroy a youngster by putting him in too much as a kid. The season he was 16-17 years old he played in 21 games for us - which manager since would have used him more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    You can destroy a youngster by putting him in too much as a kid. The season he was 16-17 years old he played in 21 games for us - which manager since would have used him more than that?
    The list would be endless. He was already our best central midfielder by a distance. I remember him getting in the starting line up v QPR at home. His inclusion made a huge difference we passed the ball quicker , great movement passing. Our central midfield was transformed. Left the ground thinking we would shoot up the table and couldn't wait to see him again.

I did he was back on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Gibson was primarily a winger wasn't he, so therefore wouldn't qualify in the playmaker category but certainly one of the best wide players we ever had. Whittingham for me.
    No, Gibson played through the middle most of the time when he was with us - the pitch was a mudheap in his second season here (71/72), but it didn't seem to have much of an affect on him.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

This.

Maybe not the best but Alan Campbell deserves a mention. Skillful with the ball and could pick a pass. Unlike some others mentioned had longevity with nearly 170 appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    The list would be endless. He was already our best central midfielder by a distance. I remember him getting in the starting line up v QPR at home. His inclusion made a huge difference we passed the ball quicker , great movement passing. Our central midfield was transformed. Left the ground thinking we would shoot up the table and couldn't wait to see him again.

I did he was back on the bench.
    take the rose tinted specs off guys. yes he was obviously going to be something special, and we all wanted him to succeed but to say he should have been first choice in what was a pretty strong midfield at that age is just daft.

Best while playing for us, or best midfielder who played for us but was better elsewhere?

If the former: Whittingham, then Kav.

If the latter: Ramsey, then quite a bit of white space, then maybe Trevor Sinclair.

Obviously this only covers players I've seen.