+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Re: Who is the best midfield playmaker we have ever had ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No ones mentioned Gerry Francis
    And rightly so.

Surely Mel Sutton is the most technically accomplished football ever to wear the famous blue shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Surely Mel Sutton is the most technically accomplished football ever to wear the famous blue shirt.
    I would hardly call him technically accomplished. He was a solid and reliable player adding balance to the other midfield players in the side. But Sutton was nowhere near the best midfield playmaker we have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I would hardly call him technically accomplished. He was a solid and reliable player adding balance to the other midfield players in the side. But Sutton was nowhere near the best midfield playmaker we have ever had.
    My guess is that you have been on this one

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Fowler was useful

But in recent memory for me , box to box , with a share of goals , incisive passing and free kicks there is only one

Kav
    The closest we've had isTomlin, the rest can't really be considered playmakers in the truest sense as the all covered different rolls. Koumas is up there as he'd make things tick, he'd receive the ball deep like Tomlin can and carry the ball into space. Mc Phail, Kav etc could play that deeper roll quite well, where they acted as a sort of free man infront of the defence.

That is a VERY bold statement! :-0

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    That is a VERY bold statement! :-0
    Oh come on Bobby, I thought you were more savvy than that !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Especially when you consider his lush musical arrangements and vocal harmonies.

He could have been a superstar......
    do you think he was knocking off his sister ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    No ones mentioned Gerry Francis
    Fat bastard

Not you , gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The closest we've had isTomlin, the rest can't really be considered playmakers in the truest sense as the all covered different rolls. Koumas is up there as he'd make things tick, he'd receive the ball deep like Tomlin can and carry the ball into space. Mc Phail, Kav etc could play that deeper roll quite well, where they acted as a sort of free man infront of the defence.
    Witts and Mcphail didn't have the tackling game kav had

Our very own gazza

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Witts and Mcphail didn't have the tackling game kav had

Our very own gazza
    And a really nice guy too. I was privileged to have a longish talk to him about the play-off final win against QPR when I went to sort out my season ticket renewal. He said you wouldn't believe how hot it was in the stadium that day and how much it took out of all the players. Top man and a real footballer.

And a really nice guy too. I was privileged to have a longish talk to him about the play-off final win against QPR when I went to sort out my season ticket renewal. He said you wouldn't believe how hot it was in the stadium that day and how much it took out of all the players. Top man and a real footballer.
    He loved cardiff city , he said the fans were incredible to him and his family

I loved that time

And I was so pleased for Andy Campbell that day , another really nice guy he said he was out in town with the team at 4am and they couldn't go anywhere without people trying to hug him

Hey, good old, 'Spider.' Gave his all every game.

StT.
    <><

Exactly, the epitome of subtlety and silky skills. If there was any criticism of him it was his unwillingness to contravene the rules in the tackle .

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    take the rose tinted specs off guys. yes he was obviously going to be something special, and we all wanted him to succeed but to say he should have been first choice in what was a pretty strong midfield at that age is just daft.
    For what it's worth I agree with you on this

Without the semantics and assuming 4-4-2 with 4 in midfield, then in terms of the best while playing for us I’d always go with Whitts. Honourable mentions for Dave Bennett and Kav.

If it’s the best who played for us once but did better before or after then it’s Ramsey hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Exactly, the epitome of subtlety and silky skills. If there was any criticism of him it was his unwillingness to contravene the rules in the tackle .
    Indeed Enoch. He was inconsolable when he once accidentally trod on the toes of an opponent and as a gesture of goodwill sent a bunch of flowers to the player's wife the very next day. It affected him so deeply, he needed counseling till the end of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If we're talking about all round midfield players, then Kav is there in contention among the best we've had in the last twenty five years certainly, but as a "play maker" as I understand the term? I'm not so sure.

Jason Fowler deserves a mention, but he would be easily beaten by the likes of the already mentioned Jason Koumas, as well as others such as Steve McPhail, Whitts and, on last season's form, Lee Tomlin.

Koumas was the best, and Ricky Schimica was awesome, but maybe not a playmaker?