+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bale to Spurs?

Bale to Spurs?

I guess if RM pay half his wages it’s possible, surely he would rather play football on 400k ish a week than nothing on 600? Life’s too short and all that......

Re: Bale to Spurs?

and there are some nice golf courses round there

Bale is still a very good player. But not the player he was at his best.

But this looks like a move of desparation by Mourinho.

Hes not worth that sort of money.

Bale needs to play football, I can see why he has stayed put why should he be the one to sacrifice himself because of the club.

He's already achieved more in his career than most and also he seems a humble person probably understands he isn't the player he was.

I'd be interested to hear Bale story on the CL game and not wanting to play

Obviously Jose wants some lessons

We've not seen Bale playing regular football week in, week out for getting on for two years, so it's hard to know how good or bad he'd be if given that chance. While I tend to edge towards the view that his best days are well behind him and he'd struggle to keep a place in the Spurs side on merit, I'm basing that on what he has been doing for Wales and it's asking a lot for anyone to be at full throttle and form if they are only getting two matches every two or three months - Bale is still only 31 and maybe his lack of playing time recently could extent his career a bit, so it's certainly not beyond the bounds of capability that he could prove someone like me hopelessly wrong.

In his pomp he was an explosive player, his pace and strength embarrassed many a quality defender, unfortunately it’s the pace that goes first, has he still got it over a run of games, who knows? He’s got to move for us and him to find out. Ian Rush was superb working the line, exploiting defenders when put through by burning them off, sad to see him labouring at Leeds and Newcastle in his latter years. Let’s hope Bale still has it in him for a couple more seasons.

If it’s a one year loan then it’s a gamble worth paying for Spurs. Once he’s fit he could be the difference that gets them into the top 4 and then the Champions League money will recoup the outlay for him.

If they still don’t make top 4 then they send him back and will probably end up selling Kane for over £100m and will balance the books that way

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We've not seen Bale playing regular football week in, week out for getting on for two years, so it's hard to know how good or bad he'd be if given that chance. While I tend to edge towards the view that his best days are well behind him and he'd struggle to keep a place in the Spurs side on merit, I'm basing that on what he has been doing for Wales and it's asking a lot for anyone to be at full throttle and form if they are only getting two matches every two or three months - Bale is still only 31 and maybe his lack of playing time recently could extent his career a bit, so it's certainly not beyond the bounds of capability that he could prove someone like me hopelessly wrong.

I think it's a good point.

He's hardly played so we just don't know how good he is now.

From a Welsh perspective we want him playing regularly .. but not too much. Enough to keep him fit and sharp for Wales but also reducing the risk of injury. A major injury now could end his career.

As a guess, based on his history of injuries and his style of play, if he can move to a team where he is playing around 50% of games, either starting or off the bench, that would be ideal... For Wales, I'm just not sure a new club would accept that. They are going to want their pound of flesh.

Although slightly younger than Bale at 29, James Rodriguez just had a great debut for Everton on the weekend and he played even less football than Bale last season. At this point in their careers, a break would probably do them good to come back fresh. These days on or around the age of 30 shouldn't hamper a players career. The modern footballer has the best scientific support and physios around them at their clubs, the nutrition and dietry knowledge is second to none so i see no reason Bale can't compete at his best again for another 2/3 seasons at least having hardly played last season. When the pace does eventually slow just alter your game like Giggs did.
    In the last Wales matches Bale did look unfit, of course he would but the class and skills were still there. When he's fully fit he would still terrorise the premier league so hopefully it can work and he gets the hell out of Madrid and back over to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Grangenders View Post
    If it’s a one year loan then it’s a gamble worth paying for Spurs. Once he’s fit he could be the difference that gets them into the top 4 and then the Champions League money will recoup the outlay for him.

If they still don’t make top 4 then they send him back and will probably end up selling Kane for over £100m and will balance the books that way
    I think Bale will be chomping at the bit to play again, it will hopefully reap rewards for Wales aswell as Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Although slightly younger than Bale at 29, James Rodriguez just had a great debut for Everton on the weekend and he played even less football than Bale last season. At this point in their careers, a break would probably do them good to come back fresh. These days on or around the age of 30 shouldn't hamper a players career. The modern footballer has the best scientific support and physios around them at their clubs, the nutrition and dietry knowledge is second to none so i see no reason Bale can't compete at his best again for another 2/3 seasons at least having hardly played last season. When the pace does eventually slow just alter your game like Giggs did.
    In the last Wales matches Bale did look unfit, of course he would but the class and skills were still there. When he's fully fit he would still terrorise the premier league so hopefully it can work and he gets the hell out of Madrid and back over to the UK.
    for some players being (just) over 30 doesn't seem to be much of an impediment. For others it's a brick wall and performance level plummets.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    To think, if rumours to be believed and Spurs are paying around 150 and real 300 a week, a year for Spurs would be about 6 million, or a Gary Madine.....go and get him vinnie think of all those viewers in the Far East for starters

Bale's calf injury is the same problem that I have. The problem is he built his game around blistering pace and explosive power off the mark. This type of calf injury does not lend itself well to this kind of explosive power/change of direction. I've a sad sad feeling that this will be one of the last seasons that we see Bale at the top level. I can't see how he can recover from this injury and the massive amount of time without regular football.

I think people are writing him off too quickly. He's not had a run in the team for a couple of years now - he was usually not match fit for Wales as a result so wasn't at his sharpest there. Also let's not forget that confidence effects all of us trying to do things. Being booed by the fans and constantly slated by the press will have undoubtedly effected him adversely. I think with a run of games for a team that's happy to have him you'll see what a quality player he still is.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    I think people are writing him off too quickly. He's not had a run in the team for a couple of years now - he was usually not match fit for Wales as a result so wasn't at his sharpest there. Also let's not forget that confidence effects all of us trying to do things. Being booed by the fans and constantly slated by the press will have undoubtedly effected him adversely. I think with a run of games for a team that's happy to have him you'll see what a quality player he still is.
    I hope you're right mate and only time will tell.

This latest rumour smacks of Mourinho needing someone to bail him out after an indifferent season last year just scraping into the Europa league and Spurs' poor start to the season.

We don't know if these injuries he has allegedly been picking up are serious or not as there has been some funny goings on between him and the hierarchy at RM for quite a while but if Spurs could get the contract right Bale could be JM's saviour.
    Personally I wouldn't give Jose the money required, but then again I wouldn't have hired him in the first place!

Agree with all the negative comments about pace and age.
    However, Bale has a good few years ahead of him provided he alters his game.
    He is still good enough.

Guess it all depends on what they are paying for it. Clearly you wouldn't pay the wages Madrid do for him at the moment but this seems to be the one that could work best for all parties if Madrid are willing to find a solution.
    With this ,and his recent backing of Ben Davies , I'm warming a bit more to Mourinho

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by caerkid View Post
    Guess it all depends on what they are paying for it. Clearly you wouldn't pay the wages Madrid do for him at the moment but this seems to be the one that could work best for all parties if Madrid are willing to find a solution.
    With this ,and his recent backing of Ben Davies , I'm warming a bit more to Mourinho
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.XgnDOJ3gyxc

Is our sell-on clause still active?

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Bale's calf injury is the same problem that I have. The problem is he built his game around blistering pace and explosive power off the mark. This type of calf injury does not lend itself well to this kind of explosive power/change of direction. I've a sad sad feeling that this will be one of the last seasons that we see Bale at the top level. I can't see how he can recover from this injury and the massive amount of time without regular football.
    Bang on mate. That injury has done him, it's a nasty one as they take an age to recover from, and when you do the muscle doesn't feel the same when you extend yourself. Bale is certainly aware of this, he's much more conservative than he was before and he wont go at it like a 200m runner as his muscle will tear. There are similarities with Michael Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Bang on mate. That injury has done him, it's a nasty one as they take an age to recover from, and when you do the muscle doesn't feel the same when you extend yourself. Bale is certainly aware of this, he's much more conservative than he was before and he wont go at it like a 200m runner as his muscle will tear. There are similarities with Michael Owen.
    As long as he can still do a bicycle kick that sees us promoted and relegates Swansea in two years I’m fine with it

Gone right off him again

I wonder if Vincent Tan has even thought about how he could bring Bale to Cardiff? do you think it's even entered his head how great that would be? I'm probably doing him (Tan) a dis-service, but do you think he's aware of the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Is our sell-on clause still active?
    You beat me to it you swine!