+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Macclesfield Town Wound Up

Macclesfield Town Wound Up

Sad to see that Macclesfield Town have been wound up. Another club gone. And put under by a judge for an amount equivalent to one week's of Bale's reported wage -£500k. Bury last year , now Macclesfield. It looks like a lot more will go in the lower reaches of the EFL and below.

Apparently the owner showed evidence of funds but the judge asked why he hadn't paid off the debts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582

Re: Macclesfield Town Wound Up

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Sad to see that Macclesfield Town have been wound up. Another club gone. And put under by a judge for an amount equivalent to one week's of Bale's reported wage -£500k. Bury last year , now Macclesfield. It looks like a lot more will go in the lower reaches of the EFL and below.

Apparently the owner showed evidence of funds but the judge asked why he hadn't paid off the debts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54177582
    I suspect clubs are just waiting to see how the next few months pan out with regard to crowds returning or not. League 1 & 2 clubs especially depend heavily on gate/ST receipts.

Bury FC still exists. It’s just not registered to play in a league at present.

It is a shame but we've got so many football clubs paying very average footballers a lot of money. I'd be interested to see how our league structure compares to others like Germany. Im not sure whether maybe we need to limit the number of clubs in the football league to make it more manageable.

Fans expect to much and everyone is over stretching themselves and then trying to overstretch the next team as well.

It was always going to happen then you have people who think Tan needs to sell the club.

There needs to be bigger sanctions to those gambling with their clubs futures.

Very sad to hear.
    There will be many die hard fans looking for a new club to go and watch and doubtless quite a few looking for jobs.

Football clubs are so disparate these days and more will follow. Feck knows what the answer is.

Ex manager owed £173,000. how much per year was he on then for a lower league team. If 85K per season, had he not been paid for 2 years.

The PL is supposed to be the best in the World. i would disagree, it is the league with the most money, due to TV, and that attracts the players with the stupid amount of wages etc. Hardly any make a profit, because everything that comes in goes out again.

And then we have the Owners Test when clubs are taken over, like that works. As the judge said in this case if the owner could show proof of funds why hadn't he paid the debts or come to an arrangement.

I know people at one EFL club where the average wages is about £1000pw, more for some players , less for the younger ones. They usually have to give out 1 year contracts as they can't commit to even 2 year deals. SO if anyone is really good they lose them for nothing at the end of the year. And then someone like Warnock comes along, signs them and trebles their wages. Mad.

For all the riches of the Premier League, I reckon that if more money filtered down to the lower divisions, those clubs would just spend more and wages and transfer fees would rise, causing the same problems as clubs have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    For all the riches of the Premier League, I reckon that if more money filtered down to the lower divisions, those clubs would just spend more and wages and transfer fees would rise, causing the same problems as clubs have now.
    I saw a tweet that said, "if Macclesfield had been given 500k, they'd have spent 900k of it on wages."

The answer isn't throwing money at the lower leagues, its genuine reform and the salary caps are a good step towards this

One of the lads playing for my nearby non league team, Stourbridge Town, only joined Macclesfield a few days ago. How can they be recruiting knowing their financial situation? Something not right there.

maccyblue used to post here, he is from that neck of the woods

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    maccyblue used to post here, he is from that neck of the woods
    Hey Matt. Still do post on here but lurk more than post.

Well what can I say about Macc Town. As you can probably guess from my name i live in Macclesfield but am from Cardiff originlly. Cardiff City is my main team but I have a real affinity to Macc. When I moved up here I wanted to watch football so adopted my local team to go and watch as well as catching away games with Cardiff when they played round here.

Anyway after a few years I stared getting more involved with the club. Organising social events for fundraising, helping clean the ground before the start of the season, taking the mascot to away games and then started stewarding. I have done other jobs there like gate-staff and some groundwork too. The stewarding was actually more fun than it sounds. You got to see a lot more of what goes on behind the scenes and opens a lot of doors for other ways to work with the club. So I have worked at the club in one way or another for about 26 years.

Anyway over the years I have seen a decline in how the club has been run. It all started about 20 years ago when the current Chariman had to stand down over some financial issues over issues with money when a new stand was built and Macc were hit with a £300k fine because of it. At this point a Supporters Trust was set up and I toured the country visiting various grounds doing bucket collections to raise the money needed to avoid liquidation. I know it doesn't sound a lot of money in football but for a small club like Macc there was no way they could have afforded it. They brought in a chairman that decided that any volunteer work done by fans, like the tea-rooms, etc would be replaced with a company who paid upfront. Whilst this was a good way of getting in some easy money it tore the club's 'family friendly' face right off. There was no discussion he just did it. And that's when the rot really set in. It became a dictatorship. And any money made would be spirited away. Macc have lived on a shoestring ever since. The chariman that has just stepped down continued this asset stripping from the former chariman. The issue over non-payment of wages was the tip of the iceberg. They didn't pay a lot of people for work done. For example the drainage company wouldn't come and work unless they were paid upfront in cash.

The money owed to John Askey was £200,000. This was a bonus that was promised if he got Macc promoted. Which he did on a budget of £0. The owner never thought he'd do it so his offer would be safe. John is a decent lower league manager and put together a half decent side who worked for and with each other turning them into a winning side. There has been other managers not paid like Sol but I'm not sure how much he is owed. He was a complete twat by the way. Rude and full of his own self-importance.

So here we are now - Macc have been in the Courts every month for about two years and each time get away with it but mow it has caught up with them. I don't know the full story of what's gone on as I've not managed to speak to anyone that actually knows! I believe, but am not sure, that they have 4 days to appeal. There is supposedly people waiting in the wings to buy the club, which i think is bollocks. If the current owner knew that they were going to get wound up he would have sold it - better to have a bit of money versus nothing. So it looks like unless there is a miracle then Macc Town as is no longer exists.

To the person asking about why would they sign people etc. I do believe that the club thought they would get a postponement again from the courts so it was business as usual and when the parachute payment came through they could settle up. I do level a lot of blame with the EFL - they have been out to get Macc Town, wrongly - as they should have been out for the owner, for a long time and have wanted them out of the league due to the poor running of the club. They have got their wish. I notice that the EFL have offered some other clubs loans to stop them going to the wall. Macc have never been offered this.

I am really gutted as I have a soft spot for Macc and have enjoyed the fun times working there. I can see a lot more clubs going under sdaly in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post

Well what can I say about Macc Town. As you can probably guess from my name i live in Macclesfield but am from Cardiff originlly. Cardiff City is my main team but I have a real affinity to Macc. When I moved up here I wanted to watch football so adopted my local team to go and watch as well as catching away games with Cardiff when they played round here.

Anyway after a few years I stared getting more involved with the club. Organising social events for fundraising, helping clean the ground before the start of the season, taking the mascot to away games and then started stewarding. I have done other jobs there like gate-staff and some groundwork too. The stewarding was actually more fun than it sounds. You got to see a lot more of what goes on behind the scenes and opens a lot of doors for other ways to work with the club. So I have worked at the club in one way or another for about 26 years.

Anyway over the years I have seen a decline in how the club has been run. It all started about 20 years ago when the current Chariman had to stand down over some financial issues over issues with money when a new stand was built and Macc were hit with a £300k fine because of it. At this point a Supporters Trust was set up and I toured the country visiting various grounds doing bucket collections to raise the money needed to avoid liquidation. I know it doesn't sound a lot of money in football but for a small club like Macc there was no way they could have afforded it. They brought in a chairman that decided that any volunteer work done by fans, like the tea-rooms, etc would be replaced with a company who paid upfront. Whilst this was a good way of getting in some easy money it tore the club's 'family friendly' face right off. There was no discussion he just did it. And that's when the rot really set in. It became a dictatorship. And any money made would be spirited away. Macc have lived on a shoestring ever since. The chariman that has just stepped down continued this asset stripping from the former chariman. The issue over non-payment of wages was the tip of the iceberg. They didn't pay a lot of people for work done. For example the drainage company wouldn't come and work unless they were paid upfront in cash.

The money owed to John Askey was £200,000. This was a bonus that was promised if he got Macc promoted. Which he did on a budget of £0. The owner never thought he'd do it so his offer would be safe. John is a decent lower league manager and put together a half decent side who worked for and with each other turning them into a winning side. There has been other managers not paid like Sol but I'm not sure how much he is owed. He was a complete twat by the way. Rude and full of his own self-importance.

So here we are now - Macc have been in the Courts every month for about two years and each time get away with it but mow it has caught up with them. I don't know the full story of what's gone on as I've not managed to speak to anyone that actually knows! I believe, but am not sure, that they have 4 days to appeal. There is supposedly people waiting in the wings to buy the club, which i think is bollocks. If the current owner knew that they were going to get wound up he would have sold it - better to have a bit of money versus nothing. So it looks like unless there is a miracle then Macc Town as is no longer exists.

To the person asking about why would they sign people etc. I do believe that the club thought they would get a postponement again from the courts so it was business as usual and when the parachute payment came through they could settle up. I do level a lot of blame with the EFL - they have been out to get Macc Town, wrongly - as they should have been out for the owner, for a long time and have wanted them out of the league due to the poor running of the club. They have got their wish. I notice that the EFL have offered some other clubs loans to stop them going to the wall. Macc have never been offered this.

I am really gutted as I have a soft spot for Macc and have enjoyed the fun times working there. I can see a lot more clubs going under sdaly in the next few months.
    What a terrible shame

Macc were knocking on the door of league football for years

I love fans of clubs like Macc , Chester , Rochdale , Bury , Brentford , Orient , Hereford, all to easy to go and watch the big boys an hour up the road but these people are proper football fans

And they have been shafted

Its always the fans who get it in the neck

As for sol , what a narcissistic, self obsessed plank he is . I remember him strutting around on the catwalk wearing a fur coat looking like an old woman some years back . Idiot .

Glad to hear from your mate, just a shame for Macc, i knew you they were a fair sized part of your life

the football world needs More of the EPL money to filter down to the lower leagues and grassroot clubs, both my local non-league clubs are saying they will not get to christmas without help

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Glad to hear from your mate, just a shame for Macc, i knew you they were a fair sized part of your life

the football world needs More of the EPL money to filter down to the lower leagues and grassroot clubs, both my local non-league clubs are saying they will not get to christmas without help
    money talks

the premiership will be OK though

Thats why it was set up , to cut off the distribution of wealth to the other leagues and keep it to the big boys

Gutted for you mate and the rest of the loyal Macclesfield fans.
    As usual, its the fans who get penalised usually down to mismanagement of the chairman/owner.

I am sure that the EFL did not want to see this outcome either but their incompetence is being exploited by many businessmen intent on doing as much asset stripping of a football club as they can.
    They are only too pleased to accept a handout or reprieve on offer.

Hopefully Maccy can do a Newport and re-group and you never know, you may get your club back running the way it was.