+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you Insure yourself to drive a car you don't own ?

Re: Can you Insure yourself to drive a car you don't own ?

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Due to your mams health issues the insurance company would probably nor renew so i would go for
    2 ring up the insurance company and tell them you want to take out a policy in your name on your mams car.
    Many many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    It's the car that's insured not the driver.
    If you own and drive 3 cars they all need insurance. 3 policies.
    You need to be added as a driver on the relevant cars insurance policy.
    Any decent insurance provider should help if you have a valid licence.
    My 4 pennyworth.
    her policy is not going to be renewed after late October, shes got old age mental illness

So I think I need to insure car for me as only driver on her vehicle

In terms of taxing the car I probably need to ask her to transfer ownership over to me for the long term

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    her policy is not going to be renewed after late October, shes got old age mental illness

So I think I need to insure car for me as only driver on her vehicle

In terms of taxing the car I probably need to ask her to transfer ownership over to me for the long term
    The transfer of the car over to you would be the best

The transfer of the car over to you would be the best
    I think so too

Thanks

Does this mean you'll be getting out a bit more ??

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Does this mean you'll be getting out a bit more ??
    I need to as old age mental illness is taxing

Social services are getting more nursing cover in to enable me to get out fishing and go on loads of dates

As she will not be using the car again, may be easier in the long run to just transfer ownership into your name.
    This is easily done by completing new owner section of logbook and posting it to DVLA.

Would be a good idea to get verbal permission from your sister as she is power of attorney.

Do you need/ use the car? if yes, even more reason to transfer ownership to yourself.

If not, just sell it? would save maintenance costs ect.

I need to as old age mental illness is taxing

Social services are getting more nursing cover in to enable me to get out fishing and go on loads of dates
    Not at the same time surely. Though, then again....

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    As she will not be using the car again, may be easier in the long run to just transfer ownership into your name.
    This is easily done by completing new owner section of logbook and posting it to DVLA.

Would be a good idea to get verbal permission from your sister as she is power of attorney.

Do you need/ use the car? if yes, even more reason to transfer ownership to yourself.

If not, just sell it? would save maintenance costs ect.
    Thanks mate , I have spoken to my sister and we can't stand each other but she has no problem with me taking ownership

If you have fully comprehensive insurance yourself then you are covered to drive another car but only on third party cover. As for your original question
    Yes you can insure your moms car you do not have to be the owner or registered keeper, I have done that many times. What you can do is one of two things
    1 ring the insurance company and add your name to your mams policy
    2 ring up the insurance company and tell them you want to take out a policy in your name on your mams car.
    Double check on this one. Not all companies give third party insurance for other cars with a comprehensive policy anymore. It was an additional, albeit small, charge on mine.

If this is not on your policy
    "The policy holder may also drive a vehicle with the permission of the owner of a motor car not owned by the policy holder and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreement." Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence, and is driving on the policyholders order or with his permission’

Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence, and is driving on the policyholders order or with his permission’

If your Certificate does not contain this phrase, you are not insured to drive other cars.
    you are not covered to drive any other cars unless the car you are going to drive has an any driver policy or you are a named driver on the policy"

250 quid

10000 miles

Fully comp

Breakdown cover

Aviva

Good price that breakdown cover alone would cost ar least £59 depending on cover

Quote Originally Posted by GL1Blue View Post
    Double check on this one. Not all companies give third party insurance for other cars with a comprehensive policy anymore. It was an additional, albeit small, charge on mine.
    Mine doesn't.

Good price that breakdown cover alone would cost ar least £59 depending on cover
    I looked for aviva on comparison websites couldn't find them

what would increase it

Mileage

Other drivers

What does fully comp actually mean and why do some people only ensure themselves for 3rd party , fire and theft ?

what would increase it

Mileage

Other drivers

What does fully comp actually mean and why do some people only ensure themselves for 3rd party , fire and theft ?
    Essentially fully comp means you are covering your own car for damage in case of a bump that's your fault.
    If you have a 3rd party policy it means you would not be covered for damage to your car. Some people take that cover, because it is cheaper(not a lot mind) than fully comp because of the value of their car. For instance if I drive a car that is probably worth £500, by the time the excess off it would not be worth claiming/repairing the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Essentially fully comp means you are covering your own car for damage in case of a bump that's your fault.
    If you have a 3rd party policy it means you would not be covered for damage to your car. Some people take that cover, because it is cheaper(not a lot mind) than fully comp because of the value of their car. For instance if I drive a car that is probably worth £500, by the time the excess off it would not be worth claiming/repairing the car.
    my car is a Ford 1.6 c max

Ten years old

Nice car , quite low mileage

Don't know what its worth , 1500 ?

Should I stick with fully comp

Are there any sites that can tell me what the car is worth ?

my car is a Ford 1.6 c max

Ten years old

Nice car , quite low mileage

Don't know what its worth , 1500 ?

Should I stick with fully comp

Are there any sites that can tell me what the car is worth ?
    Like I said earlier 3rd party not much cheaper than comp. Not sure it's worth you checking the cars value. I know from personal experience that insurers play hard ball and you will only get a fraction what you think its worth at the time, in the event of a write off.
    Having said that, my gut feeling there is enough value in your car to make fully comp worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Like I said earlier 3rd party not much cheaper than comp. Not sure it's worth you checking the cars value. I know from personal experience that insurers play hard ball and you will only get a fraction what you think its worth at the time, in the event of a write off.
    Having said that, my gut feeling there is enough value in your car to make fully comp worthwhile.
    thank you