+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful , Talentless , Useless Bands

Dreadful , Talentless , Useless Bands

following on from another thread what bands can you remember from the past that were utter shite and a bunch of clowns ?

Someone mentioned Mud

Racy

Climey Fisher

Kajagoogoo .......but a great bassist

Haircut 100

Bay City Rollers

Duran Duran , sorry but utter shite

Re: Dreadful , Talentless , Useless Bands

It's a business. Most of the names you mention were bands put together by record companies to sell records and make money. Think this is a new thing? - it's been going on for decades. Haircut and Duran had a bit more talent than most, but they opted to sell pop to a mass market. Hence the lack of street cred.

Can I add Weezer to the list? My daughter introduced me to this lot on a long car journey. I nearly crashed deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's a business. Most of the names you mention were bands put together by record companies to sell records and make money. Think this is a new thing? - it's been going on for decades. Haircut and Duran had a bit more talent than most, but they opted to sell pop to a mass market. Hence the lack of street cred.

Can I add Weezer to the list? My daughter introduced me to this lot on a long car journey. I nearly crashed deliberately.
    You may not.

For me it's bands whose peripheral nonsense outweighs their musical output.
    Bay city rollers are a great example of that.

Dreadful in your opinion
    Talentless, probably all much more talented than you
    Useless, if someone derives pleasure from something they do then I think not.

Stop harping on about other bands because you don't like them, the only measurable in music is sales anything other than that is opinion.

Nothing wrong with Duran Duran.

15 studio albums, 4 of the lineup from 1980 still in the band (a few short lived lead singers before Simon Le Bon joined). Pioneering videos.

To suggest they're talentless and useless is a bit ridiculous.

The rest of your list is fine though.

Wings.

There’s a difference between talented people who are portrayed a certain way and talentless puppets.
    Duran Duran are not in the latter category, given how long they’ve lasted (their last but one album is a massive favourite) and I would also put Haircut 100’s Nick Heyward in that category, since he did some great solo stuff.

Oasis

Every member of Duran Duran is musically talented. John Taylor is a fantastic bass player. Nick Rhodes is a very creative musician. They wrote and performed their own songs. Some of them were pretty good too. Nothing wrong with Planet Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Wings.
    So because you don't like Wings, Paul McCartney is somehow untalented?

Ladies and gentleman - I give you Milli Vanilli - girl you know it’s true

You can’t have Duran Duran in that list - not the band that gave us Wild Boys

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    following on from another thread what bands can you remember from the past that were utter shite and a bunch of clowns ?

Someone mentioned Mud

Racy

Climey Fisher

Kajagoogoo .......but a great bassist

Haircut 100

Bay City Rollers

Duran Duran , sorry but utter shite

Sorry Sludge, I usually agree with you but I'm going to ask that you take Haircut 100 off the list; I loved Fantastic Day (ok I'm sad lol).

I nearly asked you to take Racey off the list but that was as a result of brain fade. For some reason I had mixed them up with the Knack which had the one hit wonder My Sharona in the late seventies, but then realized my mistake and totally concur.

I'm surprised though that you didn't include the Flying Pickets, Showaddywaddy, and Wet Wet Wet on your list. However in time I could probably think of hundreds more. That Ed Sheeran tonk could also be included as far as concerned.

“writing about music is like dancing about architecture”
    Attributed to many people, my choice is Frank Zappa. We can apply to writing about bands as well.

Bearing in mind some of the responses to the OP, does Black Lace fit the description? They do for me,

I'd put a lot of the bands mentioned already in the dreadful and useless category, but I agree that most of them would struggle to get into the talentless one.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Every member of Duran Duran is musically talented. John Taylor is a fantastic bass player. Nick Rhodes is a very creative musician. They wrote and performed their own songs. Some of them were pretty good too. Nothing wrong with Planet Earth.
    they weren’t my cup of tea in the 80s, but looking back and comparing them with the dross we’ve had in the last 20yrs I have a new Doh do respect for them. As you say, they are musicians, whatever your taste, unlike Spice Girls and all those pretty boy bands that are essentially dance troupes with no instruments to be seen.

My fondest Duran related memory was in 1983/4 when I was on rag committee in Sheffield, we plastered the city with posters announcing an appearance by the band at HMV, then sat back and awaited the inevitable chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So because you don't like Wings, Paul McCartney is somehow untalented?
    His talent is there for all to see in the frog song.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Sorry Sludge, I usually agree with you but I'm going to ask that you take Haircut 100 off the list; I loved Fantastic Day (ok I'm sad lol).

I nearly asked you to take Racey off the list but that was as a result of brain fade. For some reason I had mixed them up with the Knack which had the one hit wonder My Sharona in the late seventies, but then realized my mistake and totally concur.

I'm surprised though that you didn't include the Flying Pickets, Showaddywaddy, and Wet Wet Wet on your list. However in time I could probably think of hundreds more. That Ed Sheeran tonk could also be included as far as concerned.
    Whoa....Flying Pickets? Seriously? You know how hard it is to sing acapella? Anyway, Brian Hibbard was a good mate of mine, and I won't have a word said against him. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bearing in mind some of the responses to the OP, does Black Lace fit the description? They do for me,

I'd put a lot of the bands mentioned already in the dreadful and useless category, but I agree that most of them would struggle to get into the talentless one.
    Agadoo is right up there with the Frog Song and Mull of Kintyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    His talent is there for all to see in the frog song.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Black lace yes - but for a moment I thought you had put Paper Lace and I thought surely not the band responsible for the timeless classics Billy Don’t be a Hero and The night Chicago died

The Sex Pistols

ABBA

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Black lace yes - but for a moment I thought you had put Paper Lace and I thought surely not the band responsible for the timeless classics Billy Don’t be a Hero and The night Chicago died
    Says the man who paid to see The Nolans live (and don't give me the Colleen Nolan was well fit in 1979 line!!)

I'll add N-Dubz to the line up

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Dreadful in your opinion
    Talentless, probably all much more talented than you
    Useless, if someone derives pleasure from something they do then I think not.

Stop harping on about other bands because you don't like them, the only measurable in music is sales anything other than that is opinion.
    Don't be so touchy

Its a fun thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Nothing wrong with Duran Duran.

15 studio albums, 4 of the lineup from 1980 still in the band (a few short lived lead singers before Simon Le Bon joined). Pioneering videos.

To suggest they're talentless and useless is a bit ridiculous.

The rest of your list is fine though.
    I think they were teeny bop rubbish

A great video means nothing

Culture Club , more rubbish