+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreadful , Talentless , Useless Bands

Re: Dreadful , Talentless , Useless Bands

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Every member of Duran Duran is musically talented. John Taylor is a fantastic bass player. Nick Rhodes is a very creative musician. They wrote and performed their own songs. Some of them were pretty good too. Nothing wrong with Planet Earth.
    Japan yes

Duran Duran , no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Sorry Sludge, I usually agree with you but I'm going to ask that you take Haircut 100 off the list; I loved Fantastic Day (ok I'm sad lol).

I nearly asked you to take Racey off the list but that was as a result of brain fade. For some reason I had mixed them up with the Knack which had the one hit wonder My Sharona in the late seventies, but then realized my mistake and totally concur.

I'm surprised though that you didn't include the Flying Pickets, Showaddywaddy, and Wet Wet Wet on your list. However in time I could probably think of hundreds more. That Ed Sheeran tonk could also be included as far as concerned.
    The Knack were a manufactured band but my Sharona is a very riff heavy song

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The Sex Pistols
    Great bass line at the start of bodies

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    ABBA
    amazing harmony vocals on take a chance on me , incredible singing

It was the blonde one for me , the woman , not the bloke playing the guitar or piano

Yazoo

That silly keyboard sound on only you and that big lass who sang like a bloke

Howard Jones

Wtf is all this about ?

Stupid haircut , silly keyboards , laughing his head off through the song?

And the little bloke in S and M gear ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Howard Jones

Wtf is all this about ?

https://youtu.be/FagjnIgUk6Q

The blokes name was Jes I think - he was a mime artist that was used to plug that song - the chains were supposed to represent the chains of mans mentality in the dog eat dog world of 80s consumerism - very deep was Howard Jones as was Nik Kershaw whose hit Wouldn't it be Nice was a metaphor for humanity's rationality being actual and actuality being rational.

On second thoughts - Nah - it was sh1t

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    The blokes name was Jes I think - he was a mime artist that was used to plug that song - the chains were supposed to represent the chains of mans mentality in the dog eat dog world of 80s consumerism - very deep was Howard Jones as was Nik Kershaw whose hit Wouldn't it be Nice was a metaphor for humanity's rationality being actual and actuality being rational.

On second thoughts - Nah - it was sh1t
    Far too deep.
    Thrashing out 3 chords over 4 minutes shouting about death, blood and the devil is much more satisfying to ones ears (apparently).

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Far too deep.
    Thrashing out 3 chords over 4 minutes shouting about death, blood and the devil is much more satisfying to ones ears (apparently).
    I don't listen to any of that nonsense , thats death and speed metal

Japan yes

Duran Duran , no thanks
    Maybe you should have titled this thread "Popular Bands I From the 80s That I don't Like". It's been established that Duran Duran are talented musicians. 100 million records sold renders them not useless. They made a lot of money for a lot of people. Is the fact that you think they're dreadful relevant to any of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    His talent is there for all to see in the frog song.
    And don't forget his huge hit "Mulligan's Tyres"

Maybe you should have titled this thread "Popular Bands I From the 80s That I don't Like". It's been established that Duran Duran are talented musicians. 100 million records sold renders them not useless. They made a lot of money for a lot of people. Is the fact that you think they're dreadful relevant to any of this?
    Well selling a lot of records does not mean they are any good

Millions spent on videos when it was king didnt hurt

It was a bit of fun but its being taken far too seriously

They were a teeny bopper band who were popular with teenage girls who fancied them and saw them in smash hits

Do you think duran duran will go down in history as a band of talented musicians ?

They were famous but that doesn't mean anything

Guns And Roses were famous and sold lots of records , most rock fans I know think they were a well marketed Aerosmith rip off

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    And don't forget his huge hit "Mulligan's Tyres"
    I thought it was about a motorist with a puncture - My Leaking Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    It's a business. Most of the names you mention were bands put together by record companies to sell records and make money. Think this is a new thing? - it's been going on for decades. Haircut and Duran had a bit more talent than most, but they opted to sell pop to a mass market. Hence the lack of street cred.

Can I add Weezer to the list? My daughter introduced me to this lot on a long car journey. I nearly crashed deliberately.
    Yes you may, utter rubbish with some very dodgy lyrics and themes, especially on their god awful second album. They're a btech Neutral Milk Hotel, who are even feckin worse

Black Eyed Peas.

Japan yes

Duran Duran , no thanks
    Think this is a great track mind;-

Howard Jones

Wtf is all this about ?

He was terrible.

Well selling a lot of records does not mean they are any good

Millions spent on videos when it was king didnt hurt

It was a bit of fun but its being taken far too seriously

They were a teeny bopper band who were popular with teenage girls who fancied them and saw them in smash hits

Do you think duran duran will go down in history as a band of talented musicians ?

They were famous but that doesn't mean anything

Guns And Roses were famous and sold lots of records , most rock fans I know think they were a well marketed Aerosmith rip off
    I'm not saying that they're the greatest band of all time, just that they're not useless and they're not talentless. They're still playing and making records with most of their original members. After 40 years. Not too shabby.

Simply feckin Red!!!!!

Seriously shit. Id rather put Agadoo on repeat than listen to that crap.

I'm not saying that they're the greatest band of all time, just that they're not useless and they're not talentless. They're still playing and making records with most of their original members. After 40 years. Not too shabby.
    Black Sabbath the most influential band in heavy metal were until two years ago still making records with the almost complete full line up minus the drummer

I love sabbath but there last good album was over 30 years ago , its embarrassing

Duran Duran were big in the uk , they could play musical instruments but their singer was tone deaf . They were a marketed band with massive amounts spent on promotion and videos

Naff smash hits kind of band

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Simply feckin Red!!!!!

Seriously shit. Id rather put Agadoo on repeat than listen to that crap.
    shoot him

The Knack were a manufactured band but my Sharona is a very riff heavy song
    Well I know who DOESN'T fit the bill ..... Rammstein! I'm listening to them now, LOUD ... breathtaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Well I know who DOESN'T fit the bill ..... Rammstein! I'm listening to them now, LOUD ... breathtaking!
    Absolutely staggering live band

If you like that industrial sound check out , if you ain't already , Godflesh , Ministry , Nine Inch Nails , Fear Factory

Although live Rammstien , along with Tool and Sabbath are unbeatable

following on from another thread what bands can you remember from the past that were utter shite and a bunch of clowns ?

Someone mentioned Mud

Racy

Climey Fisher

Kajagoogoo .......but a great bassist

Haircut 100

Bay City Rollers

Duran Duran , sorry but utter shite
    Virtually every thrash metal I have ever had the misfortune to hear. Vocalists that can't sing, but grunt, shriek and howl. Guitarists that yes, are talented, but widdley widdley wank wank up and down the fretboard....zzzzzzz....