+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Frank Windsor has died

Frank Windsor has died

Age 92 - a good age.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ly-softly-dies

He was part of my childhood in Z Cars and Softly Softly!

Re: Frank Windsor has died

5 slim panatelas for 44p those were the days

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Age 92 - a good age.

He and Stratford Johns were very good actors.

International

Stafford

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Stafford
    ?

'Long, firm and satisfying'
    Those were the days, we got away with murder back then, a simpler time, no PC shit, just good honest innuendo.

The Z Cars theme was really evocative and I'm not surprised at all that some teams take the field to it even now. There was a time around the early seventies when Frank Windsor and Stratford Johns were contenders for being the biggest stars on UK television - that guy who was in Emmerdale I think it was, was the other member of the trio of coppers in Softly, Softly wasn't he.

RIP - funnily enough, I watched about five minutes of an episode of The Avengers this week where Frank Windsor was trying to murder a computer (honestly!).

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The Z Cars theme was really evocative and I'm not surprised at all that some teams take the field to it even now. There was a time around the early seventies when Frank Windsor and Stratford Johns were contenders for being the biggest stars on UK television - that guy who was in Emmerdale I think it was, was the other member of the trio of coppers in Softly, Softly wasn't he. Norman Bowler

RIP - funnily enough, I watched about five minutes of an episode of The Avengers this week where Frank Windsor was trying to murder a computer (honestly!).

The Z Cars theme was really evocative and I'm not surprised at all that some teams take the field to it even now. There was a time around the early seventies when Frank Windsor and Stratford Johns were contenders for being the biggest stars on UK television - that guy who was in Emmerdale I think it was, was the other member of the trio of coppers in Softly, Softly wasn't he.

The Avengers....Now that was an off the wall series for its day, writers’
    imaginations running wild.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Stafford
    Nice town, near Stoke; I've been there several times. What's it got to do with this thread though?

Going off on a bit of a tangent Bob, am I right in saying (pre Covid of course) Everton have ditched playing the Z Cars theme before kick offs in favour of a rip off of Rangers' theme song?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The Avengers....Now that was an off the wall series for its day, writers’
    imaginations running wild.
    Absolutely brilliant at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    Going off on a bit of a tangent Bob, am I right in saying (pre Covid of course) Everton have ditched playing the Z Cars theme before kick offs in favour of a rip off of Rangers' theme song?
    Yes I think you are, I'm sure I'd read that someone in the last few months - I suppose no one at Everton is complaining too much after the start they've made to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Age 92 - a good age.

My Dad made a TV advert with him for a local Welsh insurance company called Undeb in the early 1970s and I always remember him saying what a nice chap he was.

And the very minor continuity fault in the ad that I always used to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    My Dad made a TV advert with him for a local Welsh insurance company called Undeb in the early 1970s and I always remember him saying what a nice chap he was.

And the very minor continuity fault in the ad that I always used to look out for.
    There’s a blast from the past, Undeb. Undeb United were a very successful Cardiff Sunday League side in the 70s, they were called Castle United (their founder, Allan Parkins, who owns the vinyl record shop upstairs in the market, lived in Castle Avenue, off Rumney Hill) until obtaining sponsorship from Undeb.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There’s a blast from the past, Undeb. Undeb United were a very successful Cardiff Sunday League side in the 70s, they were called Castle United (their founder, Allan Parkins, who owns the vinyl record shop upstairs in the market, lived in Castle Avenue, off Rumney Hill) until obtaining sponsorship from Undeb.
    I was texting my Mum, who is 89, about this as my Dad knew the founders, who I vaguely remember (both quite flash - one drove an E-type) before it all went horribly wrong 😳 I remember them coming to watch Cardiff City with us, but I was only about 10 at the time.