+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elephant In The Room

Re: The Elephant In The Room

Taking the knee or rather NOT taking the knee will inevitably become being seen as a statement in its own right. It has become politicised just like wearing a poppy on/near Armistice Day. Notice how everyone who appears on TV news programmes from early November on will be wearing one, as not wearing one may be interpreted as being uncaring or unpatriotic.

The best way to stamp out racism is not to become a racist.

International

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Everywhere really, the entire movement is about drawing attention to systematic racism so that changes can happen, none of which has happened yet.

Of course, another way of looking at it is that yes yes we've done our little flurry of pretending to care now let's go back to normal, up you get lads, point's been made, time to move on
    But it turns bad when people get slagged off if they don't do it. It should be a personal thing, not something that someone 'has to do' to avoid getting pilloried in the press or social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    The best way to stamp out racism is not to become a racist.
    Nope that’s wrong if you’re just not racist yourself it isn’t enough. You need to be anti racist or other racists will just be able to get away with it. You need to call out casual racism, you need to be pro taking a knee. This message needs to get across.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    ^^^^ This

Are we seriously going to take a knee before every match / sporting event ? ? ?
    Thick ****

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    But it turns bad when people get slagged off if they don't do it. It should be a personal thing, not something that someone 'has to do' to avoid getting pilloried in the press or social media.
    Funny that people that think this are the ones who would slag anyone who doesn’t wear a poppy off isn’t it.

Why does taking a knee bother so many middle aged white blokes? I'm presuming most people on here are middle aged and white. I can't see any harm in supporting a cause or supporting your team mates in their cause. It baffles me why so many people get upset by it. Genuinely.

Reading had eight black players in their starting line up today. Most clubs have a number of black lads in their squads these days. So it’s hardly surprising if teams want to spend a few seconds before a game taking the knee because racism is still rife in this country.
    I’m fine with it and am baffled why some seem to get so worked up about it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Funny that people that think this are the ones who would slag anyone who doesn’t wear a poppy off isn’t it.
    How do you know that they are?

How do you know that they are?
    Can only speak personally

I am not friends with these people but where I live there are lots of people out selling poppies , all there for remembrance day and you read their Facebook feeds and its vote brexit , let's look after our soldiers before immigrants , white lives matter , all lives matter , one bloke locally dresses up with his mace and has done for years to honor the fallen then a few days later hes saying share this if you think all lives matter , bollocks about Enoch Powell and rivers of blood and he gets loads of thumbs up from people posting exactly the same rule Brittania bullshit . Black people and this protest are no threat to him . Where I live there are a few black and mixed race people and some black and mixed race kids and school kids . But for this bloke his most likely encounter with anyone black apart from the small number of black people who live in this town would be to go 14 miles in cardiff and walk round the docks , grange , canton Riverside or just go shopping walk along Queen Street a few times and he would plenty of black people . But this bloke lives in a town probably 99 percent white , And he rarely leaves . He just rants on Facebook and he's a racist . And there are loads of people like him and they are racists too . No pissing about , these people sometimes let slip with the odd comment but when anything crops up that stirs their prehistoric views , out comes the racism . Which of course they deny . But those of us locally who don't think like that know the score .

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    ^^^^ This

Are we seriously going to take a knee before every match / sporting event ? ? ?
    A good cause but every game? I didn’t know that....Truly bizarre now

For me there are two issues, firstly I think football is better off being non political so don't endorse or oppose any causes, that's not to say we don't tackle racism within the game we just don't support political groups like BLM.
    Secondly taking the knee is an american protest let them get on with it. If our society had anything about them we should have been out on the streets over the Windrush scandal or when Smiley culture was stabbed to death allegedly his own doing.

You said the point's been made and it's time to move on from the taking the knee, I asked you what's changed to make you think it's time to move on
    Time for both of us to be adult on this and agree to disagree, from this thread and those that have contributed it would seem that I'm in the minority in thinking it should stop, but that of course isn't necessarily a true reflection of generic opinion.

What is disappointing is those that want to slate others, including me for having a different opinion. I think we are all in unison on wanting racism to stop, but my opinion is that taking a knee has shown the support, care and empathy that every one has for anti racism and BLM but what I don't believe is taking a knee on an on going basis will fix, or have any influence on racism continuing.

I also understand that others have the opposite opinion. Maybe others contributing to this thread (if any) could give their opinion on why it should or shouldn't continue without turning this in to a 'mud slinging' and therefore respecting differing opinions. I was guilty and naive of not outlining my thoughts behind my comments in my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Time for both of us to be adult on this and agree to disagree, from this thread and those that have contributed it would seem that I'm in the minority in thinking it should stop, but that of course isn't necessarily a true reflection of generic opinion.

What is disappointing is those that want to slate others, including me for having a different opinion. I think we are all in unison on wanting racism to stop, but my opinion is that taking a knee has shown the support, care and empathy that every one has for anti racism and BLM but what I don't believe is taking a knee on an on going basis will fix, or have any influence on racism continuing.

I also understand that others have the opposite opinion. Maybe others contributing to this thread (if any) could give their opinion on why it should or shouldn't continue without turning this in to a 'mud slinging' and therefore respecting differing opinions. I was guilty and naive of not outlining my thoughts behind my comments in my original post.
    don't be daft mate , you are obviously not a racist , just have a different view on tackling things , post away

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    For me there are two issues, firstly I think football is better off being non political so don't endorse or oppose any causes, that's not to say we don't tackle racism within the game we just don't support political groups like BLM.
    Secondly taking the knee is an american protest let them get on with it. If our society had anything about them we should have been out on the streets over the Windrush scandal or when Smiley culture was stabbed to death allegedly his own doing.
    again I can respect this view even if I don't agree with it

Clearly not a racist

Sadly a lot of the all lives matter gang are

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    again I can respect this view even if I don't agree with it

Clearly not a racist

Sadly a lot of the all lives matter gang are
    Care to explain a bit more Sludge ?

International

Can only speak personally

I am not friends with these people but where I live there are lots of people out selling poppies , all there for remembrance day and you read their Facebook feeds and its vote brexit , let's look after our soldiers before immigrants , white lives matter , all lives matter , one bloke locally dresses up with his mace and has done for years to honor the fallen then a few days later hes saying share this if you think all lives matter , bollocks about Enoch Powell and rivers of blood and he gets loads of thumbs up from people posting exactly the same rule Brittania bullshit . Black people and this protest are no threat to him . Where I live there are a few black and mixed race people and some black and mixed race kids and school kids . But for this bloke his most likely encounter with anyone black apart from the small number of black people who live in this town would be to go 14 miles in cardiff and walk round the docks , grange , canton Riverside or just go shopping walk along Queen Street a few times and he would plenty of black people . But this bloke lives in a town probably 99 percent white , And he rarely leaves . He just rants on Facebook and he's a racist . And there are loads of people like him and they are racists too . No pissing about , these people sometimes let slip with the odd comment but when anything crops up that stirs their prehistoric views , out comes the racism . Which of course they deny . But those of us locally who don't think like that know the score .
    If you don't know these people how come you're on their face book pages?

It should be up to the players. If they want to take the knee so be it. However, they shouldn't feel under pressure to do it.

Care to explain a bit more Sludge ?
    yes , I dont agree with all of your post but you make fair points

I could chat with you about all this and we would probably agree on some things

I would never shout racist at someone who has differing views about this issue as they clearly not racist but a lot of these people who say ......all lives matter .....are missing the point on purpose , they are racists

But saying let's keep sport away from politics , the protest has gone on long enough , its an American problem are opinions and they are not coming from racists

If you don't know these people how come you're on their face book pages?
    I read them , they are open , a lot of peoples Facebook pages are open , I know these people from school , from the pub , from walking around town , this builder does a lot of work locally and I know lots of people locally whose political opinions are well known even more so in the age on the Internet, I dont associate with them , I dont talk to them they are not in my phone book but I know who they are and their views . Which is why they are not my friends .

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    I agree its like the nhs clap.

Time to stop it as it will loose its meaning and end up a chore

...loose you say...

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    ...loose you say...
    Was it the barking and Romford toad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    'The Knee'

Point made and of course BLM but time to move on, how much longer?

Please dont reply with any racism, or accusations of. It's a genuine question.
    Good luck with that request, your right as well.

Well done QPR and Matt Le Tissier

yes , I dont agree with all of your post but you make fair points

I could chat with you about all this and we would probably agree on some things

I would never shout racist at someone who has differing views about this issue as they clearly not racist but a lot of these people who say ......all lives matter .....are missing the point on purpose , they are racists

But saying let's keep sport away from politics , the protest has gone on long enough , its an American problem are opinions and they are not coming from racists
    I hear you Sludge, what I would say is that the issues that are going on in the US of A are so so different to what goes on here, not to long ago in their history there was ugly scenes with lynch mobs, whereby there were strange fruit hanging in the trees, we have not experienced that sort of thing in our life time here in the UK. On the politics and football side of things can you imagine if the Irish were taking the knee for solidarity for the IRA, IMHO it's best to keep it all out of Football.

I hear you Sludge, what I would say is that the issues that are going on in the US of A are so so different to what goes on here, not to long ago in their history there was ugly scenes with lynch mobs, whereby there were strange fruit hanging in the trees, we have not experienced that sort of thing in our life time here in the UK. On the politics and football side of things can you imagine if the Irish were taking the knee for solidarity for the IRA, IMHO it's best to keep it all out of Football.
    I think its going to slowly drift , whether thats right or wrong I dont know , has it brought out opinions yes , will the protests stop a police officer treating a person badly because they are black , impossible as whilst racism in the police and in wider society is more of an issue and people are more aware , racism will always exist

is racism fixed then?
    no and it never will be completely , what a stupid reply