HSBC in particular have been at the forefront of US financial regulator investigations for some years and have pleaded/plead guilty of several counts of money laundering to date leaving several thousand of associated charges still on file. I’m not sure of how much they’ve already been fined but it hasn’t stopped HSBC from doing business.
They have a devolved business model where for example if HSBC in Thailand goes to the wall the rest of HSBC carries on.
I have an account with HSBC because I can transfer money back to the U.K. without incurring bank charges.

I also have an offshore account in US dollars which they manage very well. HSBC are a good bank to do business with and in my experience customer focussed.

I believe it’s true to say that a fair number of big banks and a bigger percentage of small or middle size banks are all guilty of laundering money gained through the proceeds of crime for which the account holders are not able to prove satisfactory provenance.

It’s not unusual for businesses and properties to be bought by limited companies that are registered in for example the Bahamas or Crete and the businesses run as shells for the purpose of washing funds. I know for example of 5 star golf course resorts where you are not able to book a round or stay overnight because they are always fully booked yet if you actually went there you wouldn’t see anybody playing or staying.

This money laundering business has got a lot of levels yet to be revealed