+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Merthyr Town Football club is to be "mothballed" for 2020-21

Merthyr Town Football club is to be "mothballed" for 2020-21

Merthyr Town Football club is to be "mothballed" for 2020-21 because of the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Southern League Premier club has taken the decision to suspend playing until the start of next season.

Chairman Howard King told BBC Sport Wales the move had been made to avoid possible bankruptcy.

"We had to make a decision to carry on playing or stop for the long-term future of the club. It was not a decision we took lightly," he said.

"But it was for the benefit of the club."

Merthyr follow in the footsteps of Guernsey, who have pulled out of the Isthmian League for the 2020-21 campaign due to travel restrictions.

The Merthyr players have been told they are free to find other clubs, though manager Gavin Williams is being retained.

As Merthyr County Borough goes into lockdown from 18:00 BST on Tuesday, 22 September, King said: "We were left with little choice at our board meeting.

"We had to tell the Southern League before Saturday what we were going to do.

"If we stopped playing they would allow us back into the league next season.

"If we carried on playing, which the Welsh Assembly Government had said would be behind closed doors, we would have had to pay the players and coaches.

"By the middle of November we would have eaten into our reserves and the club would have been bankrupt."

The move by the Martyrs board will not affect their off-the field business activities at their Penydarren Park base.

The first game affected will be Tuesday's scheduled FA Cup home clash with Poole Town, though that game was in doubt anyway.

Merthyr are fan-owned, having battled back to regain their Southern League status following liquidation.

As Merthyr Tydfil FC they won the Welsh Cup for the third time in 1987 before achieving one of the most famous Welsh club triumphs in European competition- their 2-1 victory over Italian club Atalanta in the European Cup Winners Cup first leg at Penydarren Park in September that year.

Re: Merthyr Town Football club is to be "mothballed" for 2020-21

Does that mean they’ll be able to play in the same league next year? Sad times.

Merthyr I was hoping was going to be by backstop football for the winter if we can't get in to watch Cardiff.

They are in the impossible situation of zero income coming into the club while no crowds are allowed, while every other club in the division are allowed to play in front of their fans.

It looks as if they will be able to retain their status for the 21/22 season based on how Guernsey and the Isle of Man have been treated, but what an awful position to be in.

Lets hope that they are in a position to continue next season.

I personally have been mothballed for 2020 and will be probably for much if 2021.....so forgive me for being somewhat uncaring and oblivious to Merthyr's problems.

So Merthyr is in lockdown? Does that mean if you live in Merthyr and work elsewhere (like Cardiff) you have to stay home?

Locking down individual towns is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I suppose that way, when it goes tits up, it's easier for the government to blame the people.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So Merthyr is in lockdown? Does that mean if you live in Merthyr and work elsewhere (like Cardiff) you have to stay home?

Locking down individual towns is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I suppose that way, when it goes tits up, it's easier for the government to blame the people.
    No. Work is a good reason to travel. Always has been

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    No. Work is a good reason to travel. Always has been
    Lockdown is for the purpose of quarantine. What's the point in locking down an area and letting people from that area into the biggest city in Wales via public transport?

In some ways, I admire the fact that the League in question is prepared to allow Merthyr 'time out', and for them to rejoin (with no loss of status) next season. So a big thumbs up there for some sensible thinking.
    But doesn't it strike you as odd that this is down to the fact that we have different rules in Wales, to the ones in England? Think about it - how mad is that?

good luck to methyr and their loyal fans

First Team

Have to feel that this is the beginning of the end for them.
    Sadly, they will be followed by a few more unless some semblance of normality is restored shortly.
    Genuinely feel for The Martyrs, not because of any connection to the area, but they have battled through some tough times and their supporters have done a remarkable job in keeping the club afloat until now.

Slightly off main thrust of the thread. Is Howard King the Merthyr Chairman the ex-referee?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Slightly off main thrust of the thread. Is Howard King the Merthyr Chairman the ex-referee?
    It is.

Howard (wan) King

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wal...me-2366187.amp

Maybe Ryan Reynolds can chuck them a few quid. Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Maybe Ryan Reynolds can chuck them a few quid. Hope so.
    Euromillions tonight, if i wn maybe I will

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Euromillions tonight, if i wn maybe I will
    You’ll need more than deep pockets to deal with their deluded supporters.

on a similar theme as covid wrecks havoc on grassroots football was disappointing this week the English FA planning to axe the England national futsal sides at all levels on a week when Spain , France and Germany investing heavily in grassroots and futsal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54289553

may seem odd to post on here regarding this but as I,m passionate on this subject would love posters on here to support the petition thats doing the rounds right now but would be nice to add to the petition even if it means nothing to you

The futsal community is tight knit and I know the current welsh internationals are supporting this .

And you wonder why the likes of Spain and Portugal produce technical players . As i keep saying on here forget academies at junior levels futsal is the way forward at this age group to produce top quality football players . The English FA are so short sighted

On a positive note the welsh FA are still carrying on with developing the sport and plan on keeping the national futsal squad going and domestic leagues with the intention of developing a national youth team

only takes a couple of seconds to complete

https://www.change.org/p/oliver-dowd...24894829-en-GB

Sadly, I don't think Merthyr have any prospects in their current league and they should do a Colwyn Bay and join the Welsh pyramid.

I assumed Merthyr were not allowed to play because of the current Welsh Assembly guidelines, but I've Only just noticed that the Welsh Premier League is actually active. So how come those sides can play but not Merthyr? I think Merthyr announced their mothballing before Merthyr County went into lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I assumed Merthyr were not allowed to play because of the current Welsh Assembly guidelines, but I've Only just noticed that the Welsh Premier League is actually active. So how come those sides can play but not Merthyr? I think Merthyr announced their mothballing before Merthyr County went into lockdown.
    I believe it’s the case that Welsh Government restrictions (as well as possibly FAW restrictions) is what has put the kibosh on Merthyr’s season. I think Merthyr can play but would have to do so behind closed doors and the lower you go down the football pyramid crowd revenue becomes far more important to a club’s viability in the short term.

I don’t know enough about the WPL but I would have to assume clubs must be being supported financially to some degree by the FAW to continue playing behind closed doors. All the levels in Wales below haven’t started their season and it doesn’t look like they will for some time.

Merthyr were at a disadvantage to their southern league counterparts, who could all play their games in front of crowds (how long that lasts in England is another thing of course). In fact, yesterday I went to the first football game I’ve been to in over half a year in the isthmian league (same level as Merthyr, but London / south east area). An entertaining 2-1 in front of around a 400ish crowd, almost felt normal.

So basically the Merthyr board saw the way the wind was blowing and took the decision to approach the league and ask for dispensation. Although not exactly the same as the Guernsey example it’s on the same spectrum, as they’re basically caught between two different governments public health approaches and restrictions.