+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: COVID - Something has to change

Re: COVID - Something has to change

Messed up my quote.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Strange that Sydney didn’t get so affected as Melbourne? I really liked living in Melbourne, it’s a great city with amazing coastline down the great ocean rd (hitching down there as a carefree kid back in 1990 was one of the best times of my life). At least you have summer to come now so hopefully things will be much better as it seems you’ve had it tough there for the last 6 months.
    Yes it is strange, especially as they had that cruise ship debacle when they let off 2000+ passengers with no checks and Covid was onboard. Melbourne balls'd up their hotel quarantine though after they found private security staff were sharing fag lighters with people in quarantine, not wearing PPE properly and best of all sleeping with people staying in quarantine! Turned out 95%+ of cases in Melbourne came from that outbreak in hotel quarantine which shows just how infectious this is as that turned into 750 cases a day in August.

It is a great city, unfortunately 80% of my time here has been under lockdown after moving from Adelaide at the start of the year so it is very much all up from here (hopefully). We've had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, a curfew from 8pm-5am and a 5km travel area, a permit to prove you are going to/from work incase you're stopped by police and only one person allowed to do the supermarket shopping etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    At the end of the day we live in a selfish horrible world/society �� that unless something effects someone directly most people don't give a shite anymore.
    I'm OK Jack mentality
    God only knows what the elderly must think of the younger generation, I see some are stock piling bog roll and flour again.....I mean...ffs....what is wrong with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    Yes it is strange, especially as they had that cruise ship debacle when they let off 2000+ passengers with no checks and Covid was onboard. Melbourne balls'd up their hotel quarantine though after they found private security staff were sharing fag lighters with people in quarantine, not wearing PPE properly and best of all sleeping with people staying in quarantine! Turned out 95%+ of cases in Melbourne came from that outbreak in hotel quarantine which shows just how infectious this is as that turned into 750 cases a day in August.

It is a great city, unfortunately 80% of my time here has been under lockdown after moving from Adelaide at the start of the year so it is very much all up from here (hopefully). We've had one of the strictest lockdowns in the world, a curfew from 8pm-5am and a 5km travel area, a permit to prove you are going to/from work incase you're stopped by police and only one person allowed to do the supermarket shopping etc.
    Crikey, that is severe. Just shows how so few can f it up for so many....students are about to do that here

Crikey, that is severe. Just shows how so few can f it up for so many....students are about to do that here
    Students shouldn't have been sent back to uni

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Students shouldn't have been sent back to uni
    The student economy is huge, course fees, student loans, the private rentals, there are some areas in South Wales totally dependent on students living there and are a ghost town outside term time.

The you have the constant construction of student accommodation. The government is not going to shut that gig down.

Lets say you were 18 now, you have just been screwed over on you’re a-levels, you have got to pay full course fees for a course that will mainly be online. You are committed to your student accommodation, where you do not know any one and you are not supposed to mingle with any one, and now they are being told they might not be able to go home for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The student economy is huge, course fees, student loans, the private rentals, there are some areas in South Wales totally dependent on students living there and are a ghost town outside term time.

The you have the constant construction of student accommodation. The government is not going to shut that gig down.

Lets say you were 18 now, you have just been screwed over on you’re a-levels, you have got to pay full course fees for a course that will mainly be online. You are committed to your student accommodation, where you do not know any one and you are not supposed to mingle with any one, and now they are being told they might not be able to go home for Christmas.
    Like Treforest for example.....cardiff also has about 40/50,000 I heard. A huge economy. Can’t shut that down.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post

I know that students contribute to the economy, but the government can't send them back for economic purposes then have a go at them when the virus spreads. Anyone could see that unis returning would lead to a spike.

Its hideously cruel on freshers, especially these frankly absurd threats to leave them in halls over Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I know that students contribute to the economy, but the government can't send them back for economic purposes then have a go at them when the virus spreads. Anyone could see that unis returning would lead to a spike.

Its hideously cruel on freshers, especially these frankly absurd threats to leave them in halls over Christmas.
    Quite a lot of students are quite conscientious anyway, look at caerphilly and rct, that’s nothing to do with students, nor Bridgend. Just stupid people.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I agree, local lockdowns are neither easy to understand not effective enough. As shown last time unfortunately it's only a national lockdown which will work properly.
    But it didn't work last time. That's why we are where we are. You cannot eliminate the virus and have any sort of normality. We have to learn to live with it and living with will be easier when we have a vaccine. But we'll still have to live with it. Another full lock down would be disastrous in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Blue View Post
    But it didn't work last time. That's why we are where we are. You cannot eliminate the virus and have any sort of normality. We have to learn to live with it and living with will be easier when we have a vaccine. But we'll still have to live with it. Another full lock down would be disastrous in so many ways.
    I agree....so almost 50 in 100,000 people have got it in Cardiff, so less than 200 people in the whole city?

The lockdown did work last time with infection rated down to reasonable levels. It is only when the government relaxed the restrictions did the infection rate rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    The lockdown did work last time with infection rated down to reasonable levels. It is only when the government relaxed the restrictions did the infection rate rise.
    Even then, only partially. The more restrictions were relaxed, the more infections increased. That was hardly rocket science. Of course we're now in a position where people are getting used to some sort of return to "normality" and I reckon that if we had a full lockdown again many would simply ignore it completely. Getting the rates down to the lows we saw a month or two ago are going to be impossible, it's now all about making sure the under stress NHS isn't swamped. We've seen that deaths from other conditions have risen as treatment for Covid has been needed.

What the answer is I truly don't know. People need jobs, the economy needs ticking over, but the NHS still needs protecting and the thought of lots of people dying from this in a huge second wave makes me shudder.

It did work last time, but the time wasn't spent properly. The lockdown wasn't to eliminate the virus, it was to allow time to live with it until a vaccine - get tracing set up, roll out mass testing, educate the public, etc. None of it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It did work last time, but the time wasn't spent properly. The lockdown wasn't to eliminate the virus, it was to allow time to live with it until a vaccine - get tracing set up, roll out mass testing, educate the public, etc. None of it happened.
    Christ lardy you are the merchant of doom. We have a tracing system, we have been mass testing and everyone is far far more aware than there were in March, you couldn’t even buy a mask or hand gel back then and social distancing didn’t exist. I haven’t been in anyone’s house since March, that’s not normal.

Christ lardy you are the merchant of doom. We have a tracing system, we have been mass testing and everyone is far far more aware than there were in March, you couldn’t even buy a mask or hand gel back then and social distancing didn’t exist. I haven’t been in anyone’s house since March, that’s not normal.
    Happy clapping is it?

We have a tracing system - which doesn't work.

we have been mass testing - too late and not to the levels we should have been

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Tracing system has been set up, mass testing is occurring, the public has been educated. The fact is that large sections of the population are choosing to ignore the advice, trying to get tested when they don't have any symptoms and refusing to give correct contact details.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Tracing system has been set up, mass testing is occurring, the public has been educated. The fact is that large sections of the population are choosing to ignore the advice, trying to get tested when they don't have any symptoms and refusing to give correct contact details.
    Ok, I stand corrected. Things are going really well, and anything that isn't is the fault of ordinary people.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Of those contacted to isolate by test and trace only 11% comply meaning 89% don't.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post

Oh well in that case we may as well scrap them both and just do without, as they clearly not up to your high standards! Doh!

200,000 tests on kids under 10 in the last 2 weeks, less than 1% positive. You have to wonder if parents know how to spot if their kids have what’s known as the common cold. What a waste of 198,000 tests, not that any testing is going on eh

200,000 tests on kids under 10 in the last 2 weeks, less than 1% positive. You have to wonder if parents know how to spot if their kids have what’s known as the common cold. What a waste of 198,000 tests, not that any testing is going on eh
    Why is a negative result a waste of a test?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

Oh well in that case we may as well scrap them both and just do without, as they clearly not up to your high standards! Doh!
    Note to self:
    This is the point when you decided that's enough internet for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Of those contacted to isolate by test and trace only 11% comply meaning 89% don't.
    I read that I have no idea where they get that figure from and find it difficult to believe.

If it is true then again it shows the bufoons trust in the British people is again a disaster.

Probably what needs to happen is a change of PM and a hopeless bunch of his government and a coalition of the best politicians to get us through this total disaster.