+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrexham

Wrexham

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/news/sg...following-vote

The actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney want to buy our friends in the north.

Re: Wrexham

Completely bizarre!!

Quote Originally Posted by Monster munch View Post
    Completely bizarre!!
    Yep! But it's 2020 - Chuck it on the pile - there'll be another random steaming pile of batshit craziness to muse upon tomorrow!

Heisenberg

'The Gang Gets Addicted To Spice'

I wonder if this is anything to do with the fascist fighting that happened a couple of months back and was all over Twitter? Maybe I'm grasping but I'm struggling to think how else Wrexham would get on their radar

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    'The Gang Gets Addicted To Spice'

"The Gang Gets Relegated"

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I wonder if this is anything to do with the fascist fighting that happened a couple of months back and was all over Twitter? Maybe I'm grasping but I'm struggling to think how else Wrexham would get on their radar
    They probably hired a consultant. They don't have the cash to make a difference to a higher placed club, so Wrexham is probably a good shout. There's some potential there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    They probably hired a consultant. They don't have the cash to make a difference to a higher placed club, so Wrexham is probably a good shout. There's some potential there.
    They've got a net worth of $200m so can make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Hang on what about the football fair play rules.
    Oh wait........

If the National League is cancelled for the season would they still go ahead with the investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Not at our level. I shouldn't imagine they're prepared to spend all of it.

Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are to be the new owners of National League club Wrexham.

Wrexham Supporters Trust (WST) members voted overwhelmingly to back the takeover with 98.6% of those who responded backing the bid.

Out of more than 2,000 trust members eligible to vote, 1,809 approved, 26 were against and nine abstained.

The trust wished the pair "the very best of luck in charge" and "look forward to what the future brings".

In a statement, the trust added: "Subject to final agreement, league and FA confirmation - the RR McReynolds Company, LLC will take 100% control of Wrexham Football Club Limited from the WST.

"Both parties will now proceed with finalising the details of the takeover, and we will update Wrexham supporters as soon as we can."

Good for Wrexham, I hope it goes well for them because their fans deserve something to get excited about given what they've been through in the last ten years or so - they've maintained their level of support really well, in fact, I can remember times in the Football League when their gates were smaller than they get now.

Why Wrexham?

- really easy purchase of such a historical club
    - success of recent documentaries such as for Sunderland, Leeds and Spurs means there is a money spinner there for two film-makers
    - background of the two involved. Fulham is nothing like Philadelphia but Wrexham is a bit(maybe pushing it?) and Ryan Reynolds grandparents would have fitted in too.

I really, really hope it's successful. Their supporters have been put through a lot and kept things going.

Inter Milan have training camp in Bangor, Wrexham being taken over by Hollywood - if us and the Jack's don't get promoted soon South Wales might start falling behind!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good for Wrexham, I hope it goes well for them because their fans deserve something to get excited about given what they've been through in the last ten years or so - they've maintained their level of support really well, in fact, I can remember times in the Football League when their gates were smaller than they get now.
    I was just looking at the bottom division league table from 2002/03 for no other reason than that was the last season we spent in the bottom 2 divisions.

17 of the 24 teams in that division that season subsequently experienced non-league football. 7 have since returned. Included in the 10 that never came back are Rushden & Diamonds, Hartlepool and Wrexham, who were the top 3 that season. Rushden lasted 1 season and Wrexham managed 2 in League One. Hartlepool made the playoffs twice, losing in one final, then were relegated.

The other team promoted with R&D, Wrexham and Hartlepool were Bournemouth, in the playoffs. It's safe to say that they enjoyed wildly different fortunes to the 3 that won automatic promotion!

It s worth a punt, big catchment area, rich vain of football talent as history has shown , no rugby demands as in the south ,access to north west clubs and talent

Article on reddit mentions Wrexham being the 3rd oldest club in the world!? Surprised I've not heard this before, is this true? I can't be arsed to research it.

I remember when Notts County were a club in the lower divisions.......

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Article on reddit mentions Wrexham being the 3rd oldest club in the world!? Surprised I've not heard this before, is this true? I can't be arsed to research it.
    Wiki says :The club was formed in October 1864 by members of the Wrexham Cricket Club, who wanted a sporting activity for the winter months, which makes them (after Sheffield, Cray, Hallam, Notts County, and Nottingham Forest) the sixth oldest football team, third oldest professional club and the oldest in Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Wiki says :The club was formed in October 1864 by members of the Wrexham Cricket Club, who wanted a sporting activity for the winter months, which makes them (after Sheffield, Cray, Hallam, Notts County, and Nottingham Forest) the sixth oldest football team, third oldest professional club and the oldest in Wales.
    Thank you my wiki slave. They have more a heritage than I had previously thought, surprised they have had such little success given how long they have been around and a decent catchment area representing pretty much the whole of North Wales - I think deadpool and his mate saying they will become 'a global force' is a bit of a piss take though!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney are to be the new owners of National League club Wrexham.

Wrexham Supporters Trust (WST) members voted overwhelmingly to back the takeover with 98.6% of those who responded backing the bid.

Out of more than 2,000 trust members eligible to vote, 1,809 approved, 26 were against and nine abstained.

The trust wished the pair "the very best of luck in charge" and "look forward to what the future brings".

In a statement, the trust added: "Subject to final agreement, league and FA confirmation - the RR McReynolds Company, LLC will take 100% control of Wrexham Football Club Limited from the WST.

"Both parties will now proceed with finalising the details of the takeover, and we will update Wrexham supporters as soon as we can."

That's brilliant haha good luck to them

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Why Wrexham?

- really easy purchase of such a historical club
    - success of recent documentaries such as for Sunderland, Leeds and Spurs means there is a money spinner there for two film-makers
    - background of the two involved. Fulham is nothing like Philadelphia but Wrexham is a bit(maybe pushing it?) and Ryan Reynolds grandparents would have fitted in too.

I really, really hope it's successful. Their supporters have been put through a lot and kept things going.

Inter Milan have training camp in Bangor, Wrexham being taken over by Hollywood - if us and the Jack's don't get promoted soon South Wales might start falling behind!
    Also, they have zero debt. Not many clubs in any league can say that.
    So all their / Netflix money will be straight into the clubs bank account and not paying off past owners fcuk ups.
    The whole thing will self fund what with the Netflix money, extra sponsorship, gate receipts will increase, merchandise sales which could go global and also it should attract good players who may now choose them instead of League 2 clubs knowing they should be on the up and have a large profile, they are a big shop window now. I used to hate them during the Gary Bennett years but I’ve got some very good Wrexham mates from Wales trips and wish them all the best...they think Christmas has come early

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    +1. A proud football club.

I too hope it works out for them, putting aside the North / South Wales rivalry.

I do wonder though whether they have had a look at the Swansea model and thought "this is like taking candy off a baby"

Good luck to them 👍