+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

Re: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

Did prefer him in the side than Murphy, at least you get more than 10minutes effort out of him...😄😄😄

With NML contract being terminated we are left a bit short in midfield. Patterson doesn't automatically have a best position and while his energy, enthusiasm, knack for winning headers and scoring goals can definitely be used I would say they're traits best suited to targeting opposition not at the correct level rather than being part of how we want to use the ball. If he is deemed a saleable asset that gives us more traditional player to cover a gap then I can see the logic, but he, like Tomlin, gives us something a bit different that if used correctly can boost final league position.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't know if Paterson would make a good right back, but, by the same token, I don't get why some City fans are convinced he couldn't play there because none of us have seen him play there for us. It's been accepted that he's not able to play right back for City because Neil Warnock said so three years ago.

All of his managers before Warnock were, seemingly, happy to use him in that position and at least one Scotland manager has played him there since he was deemed not good enough as a right back for us.
    Scotland are shit.

What attributes does Paterson have that would make him a decent option at right back for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    What are you basing that on?
    I've watched him play right wing in multiple away games in 17/18 and he got turned inside out by full backs, not even wingers. The Huddersfield away game was brutal, it was that bad vs Kongolo in the Prem, that they had to shift someone else over there and bring him inside after about 20 minutes. He doesn't know the basics, where to be, where the ball is going to go and when to tackle. I love the bloke but he ain't a right back.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Scotland are shit.

What attributes does Paterson have that would make him a decent option at right back for us?
    I don't know, I've not seen him play there often enough, but you don't know either because City fans have not seen him play right back (not right wing) often enough. I don't get what just stating "Scotland are shit" proves mind - they're better than us.

I don't know, I've not seen him play there often enough, but you don't know either because City fans have not seen him play right back (not right wing) often enough. I don't get what just stating "Scotland are shit" proves mind - they're better than us.
    So you've watched Paterson play for us for 3 years and you don't know what attributes he has that would make him a good option at right back? I think that says it all.

The reason for stating "Scotland are shit" is because they are shit and Paterson playing at right back for them doesn't mean that he's capable of doing it in the Championship.

I can't recall him playing right back for us, if he did, then i can't recall the posts on here slating him for his lack of defensive ability either. It's a strange one is this. A player that some fans on here seem certain of the fact that Paterson can't defend, that may well be the case, although a bit of evidence would be nice. In my opinion it'd Warnock gobbing off and fans perception of Paterson. I'm not his biggest fan, but we don't have much of an idea what type of player he is with the game going on in front of him. He could be a victim of being a big arsed nuisance.

So you've watched Paterson play for us for 3 years and you don't know what attributes he has that would make him a good option at right back? I think that says it all.

The reason for stating "Scotland are shit" is because they are shit and Paterson playing at right back for them doesn't mean that he's capable of doing it in the Championship.
    How do you know how he plays in a withdrawn role? There's a massive difference in having the game and pitch in front of you as opposed to having your back to the opposition goal, it's much more difficult.

Masterfully argued

I think Scotland would comfortably beat us

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think Scotland would comfortably beat us
    On paper, perhaps. In practice, I think we'd beat them.

He's only 25?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Dale's Mole View Post
    He's only 25?!?!
    Still qualifies for our young player of the year award.

Shame I liked him

After our start to the season I bet Pats is over the moon.

At the moment Patto walks into this team. Ah well

Shame I liked him too, he was excellent in our promotion season and reasonably effective in the Premier league too. Much better player than the likes of Ojo, Murphy, Pack etc that we are keeping

Callum Paterson is a far better player than Ojo, Pack, Vaulks, Bacuna, Glatzel and Tutu

Whoever is deciding this is an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    Callum Paterson is a far better player than Ojo, Pack, Vaulks, Bacuna, Glatzel and Tutu

Whoever is deciding this is an idiot
    He really isn't.

He really isn't.
    What did you see in any of those players that sets them out better than Paterson?

Ojo is bloody awful - we wee told that before he came and its true
    Pack is an utter liability - hitting the ball crossfield 80 yards and slowing the game down every bloody time
    Vaulks is in and out
    Bacuna created absolutely nothing
    Glatzel - weak
    Tutu - unproven

He will do well at Wednesday - utterly stupid letting him go and keeping Ojo Pack and Murphy who are dogshite

Does Patterson fit into our starting 11? I'm not sure where he fits into what we seem to want to do at the moment. Do we have a starting 11 good enough to challenge for top 4? No.

If he is one that can bring in a fee and we're able to spend it on either more consistent winger, a creative player to share role with Tomlin or proper defensive midfielder then we'll be a better side for it. Shame to lose him but it's a player you add to give you something different and we've not sorted out what we're meant to be normally yet.

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    What did you see in any of those players that sets them out better than Paterson?

Ojo is bloody awful - we wee told that before he came and its true
    Pack is an utter liability - hitting the ball crossfield 80 yards and slowing the game down every bloody time
    Vaulks is in and out
    Bacuna created absolutely nothing
    Glatzel - weak
    Tutu - unproven

He will do well at Wednesday - utterly stupid letting him go and keeping Ojo Pack and Murphy who are dogshite
    Hang on. You wrote that Paterson is a "far better" player than Ojo, Pack, Vaulks, Bacuna, Glatzel and Tutu. They don't have to be better than him for your statement to be incorrect.

I think that Pack, Vaulks, Bacuna, and Glatzel offer at least as much as Paterson does now. Ojo and Osei-Tutu haven't been here long enough to pass judgement.

"I've been told today that a deal is close to being agreed between Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff," Harris said of Paterson's move after the Reading loss.

"If he is (leaving) then we wish Pato all the best. If not then I look forward to seeing him on Monday."

He added: "I left Callum out of the squad today because I was informed that there might be an agreement between he clubs likely to happen.

"I am the manger of the football club and support the club in the decisions they make.

"It's not about me as an individual it's about me having options within the squad. Callum is one of our attacking players and we need to have strength in depth during the course of the season.

"I've talked about adding in that area of the pitch already and if Callum is moving on then we need to add to it."