+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

Re: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    We hear that he can't defend, although i've never seen him play as a defender for us, so how do people know that he can't defend? Because Warnock said so? Although Harris hasn't tried him there, so maybe there is truth to it.
    He played there when Warnock initially signed him, lasted for a handful of games before he pushed him into midfield.

This is a direct quote from him on playing RB for Scotland

"It’s not my favourite position. I like to attack and I was a bit exposed. It’s not the best for me but I’d do whatever is asked for me for the country"

Scotland probably play him there because they have no other option. When we had the same issue last season during Sanderson's drop in form Harris rather play Bacuna there. Says all you need to know

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing Patterson playing in the position we originally signed him apart from internationally for Scotland. I do recall Warnock saying he signed a defender that didn't know how to defend. Since then he has without recognisable complaint played wherever he has been asked to with enthusiasm and a few bursts of skill.

Seems to me we made him into a jack of all trades filling in whenever there were mediocre performances from the players he replaced in dedicated roles. I can't think of any position where he would be considered the best player in that role. I can think of several where he could cover. If he has more ambition than that he should move on with our gratitude!
    He did play right back for a few games at the start of the promotion year but Warnock clearly didn't fancy him there and obviously Harris doesn't either. In fairness he gets in the Scotland side as a right back, but Scotland aren't very good and have no depth in that position, so it's not that impressive. From what I've seen from Paterson over the years, the higher up the pitch he is the better.

As JR Hartley pointed out he can't pass either, imagine trying to keep possession with Paterson at the base of a midfield, would be carnage.

It's amazing that Paterson made it this far. He can't pass. He can't play his position. But he scored against Liverpool at Anfield in the Premier League. Some story.

In the promotion year he was great, his efforts were well appreciated, he was dangerous, aggressive,physical, scared the life out of defences , created chances, considered then as a first team pick , wasn't he our top scorer that year ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I have no idea if there is serious interest from Sheffield Wednesday (how are they signing anyone when they are on the naughty step?) but I can see why Pato would want to move on if he was offered regular football. He is at best our third choice striker and can't hope for much more than a bench slot. I like him, but have no idea what he is as a footballer. He covers about five positions, but looks slightly wrong in all of them. As a wrecking ball, a force of nature, someone to get stuck in and score some goals he is great, but he defies definition. If he does move on it would be no surprise, but I would miss him and wish him well.
    I like that Jon1959 summed up and bang on.

Scotland also no longer play him at right back. They use him as a striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Scotland also no longer play him at right back. They use him as a striker.
    His last 2 games for the Scotch were cameos up front, but the 2 before that he played 90 minutes in both at right back (and they won both)

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    His last 2 games for the Scotch were cameos up front, but the 2 before that he played 90 minutes in both at right back (and they won both)
    Are people are having false memories, i swear he never started at right back for us?

For sure he never had a 'run of games' at RB either and was then moved. I think he started further up the field and possibly covered RB once or twice in the season and that was that.

Anyway, i like the guy and he is useful to cover a few positions but as mentioned previously, as he doesn't seem to have a designated position might be best to cash in and focus on what we need rather than keep a poor mans James Milner on the books.

This makes perfect sense. As we evolve away from hoofball, we need players who can pass.
    This would free up some wages and with Etheridge and NML gone, we might be able to afford someone decent, like Knockaert perhaps?

Don't understand some of the disrespect towards Patto. Always gave 100% for our club.

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Don't understand some of the disrespect towards Patto. Always gave 100% for our club.
    That doesn't earn him the right to avoid being criticised for not being very good.

I should expect him to give 100%, he's paid too.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    That doesn't earn him the right to avoid being criticised for not being very good.

I should expect him to give 100%, he's paid too.
    He's been extremely effective for us, without his goals and tireless work up front our recent Premier League stint would have ended much sooner.

I think he would make a great right back, and could still go up for set pieces to provide an additional threat

Disappointed if he goes. Think he has suffered from being versatile. I felt his best spell with us when he played in MF, coming into the box late to grab vital goals.

I think he would make a great right back, and could still go up for set pieces to provide an additional threat
    Even by modern full back standards, his defending is atrocious

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Even by modern full back standards, his defending is atrocious
    What are you basing that on?

What are you basing that on?
    Because Warnock said it once, no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    He's been extremely effective for us, without his goals and tireless work up front our recent Premier League stint would have ended much sooner.
    But we’re not going to be playing that style of football in the future, so we need players who can cut it at that level.

I hope he stays for sure

A "great right-back"... really? I mean, suggesting he might make a 'good right-back' is one thing - but a"great right-back", oh c'mon? Surely any great right-back is going to have to be a good passer of the ball, that rules out Paterson immediately.

I could picture Paterson committing unnecessary fouls, against players who are with their backs to goal, tight against the touchline and going nowhere, he gives them a blatant nudge ensuring a freekick - it's just how he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    A "great right-back"... really? I mean, suggesting he might make a 'good right-back' is one thing - but a"great right-back", oh c'mon? Surely any great right-back is going to have to be a good passer of the ball, that rules out Paterson immediately.

I could picture Paterson committing unnecessary fouls, against players who are with their backs to goal, tight against the touchline and going nowhere, he gives them a blatant nudge ensuring a freekick - it's just how he is.
    I don't know if Paterson would make a good right back, but, by the same token, I don't get why some City fans are convinced he couldn't play there because none of us have seen him play there for us. It's been accepted that he's not able to play right back for City because Neil Warnock said so three years ago.

All of his managers before Warnock were, seemingly, happy to use him in that position and at least one Scotland manager has played him there since he was deemed not good enough as a right back for us.

I like Patto, but he is a 100%'er and every team needs a few of them

BUT he skill set isnt massive in todays " modern game " a shame really that the old school grafter just doesnt have a part in todays game

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I don't know if Paterson would make a good right back, but, by the same token, I don't get why some City fans are convinced he couldn't play there because none of us have seen him play there for us. It's been accepted that he's not able to play right back for City because Neil Warnock said so three years ago.

All of his managers before Warnock were, seemingly, happy to use him in that position and at least one Scotland manager has played him there since he was deemed not good enough as a right back for us.
    I would imagine Warnock didn't just speculate that Paterson wasn't cut out to be a good defender. I've a hunch that he saw for himself in daily training sessions.

I don't think his skill set is as limited as some are making out

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

He has played three times for us at right back in the 2017/18 season. His first two starts were at right back, and one a few months later. Warnock made his decision on him, after signing him as a full back. So just because Warnock doesn't rate him as a full back it could mean someone else may give him a try there. We've not seen enough of him there really, and yet Scotland are happy for him to play at right back. He's not a striker and yet he was our top scorer there year we went up, and scored a few in the PL. I have also seen him play well in the 'number 10' position, and out wide on the right (not really a winger) and he did well there too. So let's not write him off as a footballer. If he does go we obviously will need a player to replace him.