+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

The Wednesday owner’s son has just started to follow Pato on Instagram - just as he started following most of their other recent signings before the transfer happened.

Interesting one. Maybe West Brom have put a stupid price on Ken Zohore (I don’t know - maybe something mad like £8m.....) and maybe Cardiff have let it be known that Pato is available for a move if it means more chance of playing and keeping his Scotland shirt?

Probably nothing - but you never know and it does imply an interest from S6.

Re: Callum Paterson to Sheffield Wednesday?

You can guarantee if he went elsewhere it'd bite us in the arse

I'd hate this, I love Paterson!!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Wednesday owner’s son has just started to follow Pato on Instagram - just as he started following most of their other recent signings before the transfer happened.

Interesting one. Maybe West Brom have put a stupid price on Ken Zohore (I don’t know - maybe something mad like £8m.....) and maybe Cardiff have let it be known that Pato is available for a move if it means more chance of playing and keeping his Scotland shirt?

Probably nothing - but you never know and it does imply an interest from S6.
    I hope it happens. Let's be honest, he's a desperate measure up front, he doesn't really offer anything ad he is't going to all of a sudden, become a better player. He's the bloke that steps in when ideas are thin, and i would see it as progress in moving him on. The arrival of Moore will make the decision easier.

In fairness though, he's not a bad player, just a victim of not being brilliant in one position, but average in most, he could probably play in goal! If he does go then i wish him luck, he's done alright for us, he's honest and he works hard.

Have absolutely no idea why we haven’t tried to train him for the just in front of the back 4?

Hope not, we've always got to have at least one mad Scotsman in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Have absolutely no idea why we haven’t tried to train him for the just in front of the back 4?
    or a ball playing centre back
    or a goalkeeper maybe

Seriously? A player in that position needs a fair bit of awareness and anticipation, plus the ability to pass a ball well. He's 25, he isn't going to improve, he doesn't really add much in terms of quality, i'd shift him for the simple reason that i wouldn't have to watch him playing up front for us ever again.

That account also follows Joe Bennett, Bale, Alphonso Davies, Grealish, Haaland, Conor McGregor, Mike Tyson, Justin Bieber, Messi and best of all Margot Robbie.

Big window coming up for the owls

Halleujah!

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post
    That account also follows Joe Bennett, Bale, Alphonso Davies, Grealish, Haaland, Conor McGregor, Mike Tyson, Justin Bieber, Messi and best of all Margot Robbie.

What position does Margot Robbie play? I'm sure she'd get plenty of support from players slotting in behind her.

I hope not. Good squad player who can play in a number of positions. Theres others id prefer to leave before him.

Why? He's a shit right back because he can't defend and you think he can do a job as a defensive midfielder?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Why? He's a shit right back because he can't defend and you think he can do a job as a defensive midfielder?
    I can't recall ever seeing Patterson playing in the position we originally signed him apart from internationally for Scotland. I do recall Warnock saying he signed a defender that didn't know how to defend. Since then he has without recognisable complaint played wherever he has been asked to with enthusiasm and a few bursts of skill.

Seems to me we made him into a jack of all trades filling in whenever there were mediocre performances from the players he replaced in dedicated roles. I can't think of any position where he would be considered the best player in that role. I can think of several where he could cover. If he has more ambition than that he should move on with our gratitude!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing Patterson playing in the position we originally signed him apart from internationally for Scotland. I do recall Warnock saying he signed a defender that didn't know how to defend. Since then he has without recognisable complaint played wherever he has been asked to with enthusiasm and a few bursts of skill.

Seems to me we made him into a jack of all trades filling in whenever there were mediocre performances from the players he replaced in dedicated roles. I can't think of any position where he would be considered the best player in that role. I can think of several where he could cover. If he has more ambition than that he should move on with our gratitude!
    He played pretty well as an attacking midfielder, either through the middle or on the right, in the second half of the 2017/18 season.

Can’t defend, can’t pass, his ball control is non existant. That’s one position he can’t play.

He’s a wrecking ball. Good to throw on last 10 mins but shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting line up and thankfully isn’t under Harris now.

Hopefully the Paterson lone striker project is over. It was only marginally successful at best. Yes, I was a strong advocate of Paterson, simply because, while he wasn't particularly good, he was still our best option from the start of games. I'm still unconvinced by our other striking options apart from Moore, who looks like a steal at the money we paid. Now if we're going to a more measured, passing game, Paterson as a striker is about as useful as putting Pirlo in a Neil Warnock side.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Can’t defend, can’t pass, his ball control is non existant. That’s one position he can’t play.

He’s a wrecking ball. Good to throw on last 10 mins but shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting line up and thankfully isn’t under Harris now.
    Oddly, his record from the bench is atrocious but as a starter is far better. Super sub he certainly isn't.

Is he though, he only played a few times there for us and then Warnock dined out it for ever as he doing better in another position. I have a Hearts mate who said he was quality for them in that position?

The Plan A Supporters Club will be holding annual memorial meetings at a venue still to be decided. All have a preferred second choice, but none of the main venues is quite right!

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Difficult to sympathise with anyone paid xxx times over the minimum wage. The point I was trying to make in support of Patterson was that whilst, say Joe Bennett as a left back turns up for training every week and hones his skills as a left back, Patterson racks up and tries to fit in with whatever position he is asked to play in whatever formation we set up. If he makes his money being Johny Everywhere then fair enough. Otherwise go to somewhere where the orchestra leader thinks you have a talent in a certain instrument rather than than think him an able but mediocre player of brass. percussion strings and woodwind

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

We hear that he can't defend, although i've never seen him play as a defender for us, so how do people know that he can't defend? Because Warnock said so? Although Harris hasn't tried him there, so maybe there is truth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowhore View Post

I have no idea if there is serious interest from Sheffield Wednesday (how are they signing anyone when they are on the naughty step?) but I can see why Pato would want to move on if he was offered regular football. He is at best our third choice striker and can't hope for much more than a bench slot. I like him, but have no idea what he is as a footballer. He covers about five positions, but looks slightly wrong in all of them. As a wrecking ball, a force of nature, someone to get stuck in and score some goals he is great, but he defies definition. If he does move on it would be no surprise, but I would miss him and wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Is he though, he only played a few times there for us and then Warnock dined out it for ever as he doing better in another position. I have a Hearts mate who said he was quality for them in that position?
    Surely we should try him in our problem right back position where he has played most of his career for Hearts and Scotland? He is our third choice striker now so won’t get many games there! Don’t listen to Warnock, he just says things for effect as he wanted him up front in his hoof ball tactics!