+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Social Dilemma - Netflix

The Social Dilemma - Netflix

Intuitively I knew that the big social media platforms and the internet in general were potentially harmful and I’ve felt that more and more in the last 5-10 years as my kids moved through their teenage years, but it’s a complete shit show. My lot are now hopefully old enough and smart enough to make their own choices but the potential psychological damage to some people is scary... watch it if you haven’t already

Re: The Social Dilemma - Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Intuitively I knew that the big social media platforms and the internet in general were potentially harmful and I’ve felt that more and more in the last 5-10 years as my kids moved through their teenage years, but it’s a complete shit show. My lot are now hopefully old enough and smart enough to make their own choices but the potential psychological damage to some people is scary... watch it if you haven’t already
    Do agree its awful, but everyone loves and uses it from all sides of life it becomes an obsession for some

Very good watch. Deleted Facebook and Instagram because of it and have felt so much happier.

I came to this conclusion around 2000/1. Being one of the first 300,000 internet users worldwide, I saw the potential for good, and also witnessed the gradual influx of commercial interests. Being in a research environment, I had access to all the early internet tools, and I still remember the thrill of connecting a database to the WWW when all existing webpages were static. I also noticed who was hoovering up all the new CS graduates, and what kind of technologies they were interested in. The technology is good, but the people running it and the money involved not so much. I could easily go dark, and only use the internet for very specific narrowly defined tasks, and I might just do that one day.

I find it sad how the internet has become what it is - echo chambers, conspiracies etc. It's silly how people would trust something they see on Facebook as much as they would trust an expert or a high quality journalist.

Personally, social media can burn me out. Despite it's amazing how I can easily talk to my mates from all over the world, it is annoying how people use it. From the fake news I mentioned, to showing off and being vain.

And it is weird how they spy on us and target content to us and our demographics. Like TikTok knows which uni I went to, where I live, my fave genre of music, the fact that I like football. And that is pretty scary. Facebook and Insta adverts relate to my browsing history. Like I know all that isn't breaking news but I heard that if you are not paying for it, you are the product and that is scary.

adz how does face book relate to your browsing history ?

i only do twitter in terms of social media

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

For instance, I was looking at a new chair and what comes on my feed? A suggested (advert) for a gaming chair. I was getting a NOW TV sports pass and guess which advert came...

big brother is watching then

I guess this APP for covid is another example of this then ?

Because when you sign up to Facebook you give it permission to have access.

big brother is watching then

I guess this APP for covid is another example of this then ?
    It'll know less than Google or apple already know

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    It'll know less than Google or apple already know
    The app is decentralised so I think it would account for privacy. You probably know about this too so yeah is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    I find it sad how the internet has become what it is - echo chambers, conspiracies etc. It's silly how people would trust something they see on Facebook as much as they would trust an expert or a high quality journalist.

Personally, social media can burn me out. Despite it's amazing how I can easily talk to my mates from all over the world, it is annoying how people use it. From the fake news I mentioned, to showing off and being vain.

And it is weird how they spy on us and target content to us and our demographics. Like TikTok knows which uni I went to, where I live, my fave genre of music, the fact that I like football. And that is pretty scary. Facebook and Insta adverts relate to my browsing history. Like I know all that isn't breaking news but I heard that if you are not paying for it, you are the product and that is scary.
    I randomly came across this video and I remembered your post. The video itself didn't surprise me, but some of the comments did.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I randomly came across this video and I remembered your post. The video itself didn't surprise me, but some of the comments did.

I haven't got time now but that looks good having watched the first five mins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I haven't got time now but that looks good having watched the first five mins!!!
    In short, the west is playing games & sleeping and the east is quietly planning, growing & focused on their coming victory.
    Their future success and sudden rise has been expected by some for over 2 millennia.
    Our personal apathy, juvenile minded leaders and twisted values will be our downfall.

Revelation 9:16-18
    And in my vision, I saw the horses and the riders sitting on them. The riders wore armor that was fiery red and dark blue and yellow. The horses had heads like lions, and fire and smoke and burning sulfur billowed from their mouths. One-third of all the people on earth were killed by these three plagues.

NB: The colours correspond to the three prime colours of "The People's Liberation Army" - the armed forces of the People's Republic of China - SEE THEIR FLAG SHOWN BELOW.

Also we are all living witnesses to the deadly plagues that can come out of China.

TikTok is just the tip of the iceberg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember back in, perhaps, the mid-1990s, when the internet was just picking up speed, how astounding email was with its incredible ability to send and receive 'letters' to and from friends in seconds. Then Facebook showed up with an even more enhanced ability to stay in touch with family members. Upload photos, join groups, etc. Slowly, though, as the excitement of first discovery waned, I began to see the tricks that kept me engaged for too many hours, and how many creepy ads, very specific to my interests, started cropping up. Then it all descended into politics and acrimony. Two years ago I dumped Facebook and move to MeWe. Great move. No ads, never tracked, lots of groups, and a whole fresh start in which the only "friends" I accept are actually friends. Lots of baby pics. No hate.

Pretty much what I thought I was getting into when I signed up for Facebook. Live and learn.