+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will Tomlin be fit ever again?

Will Tomlin be fit ever again?

Not enough to have the odd game or 20 mins here or the odd half here but actually fit. Starting games with any regularity would be nice.

If he isn't and not likely to be then we need to get somebody in as this midfield is too slow physically but also slow of thought.

We've got an abundance of players who can sit in front of the back four to varying degrees of effectiveness and who can pass the ball simply.
    There is little to no flair outside of Tomlin. Nobody in our midfield can run past a man. It's unbelievably bad and ridiculous that it has got to this stage.

I am not sure of any period where Tomlin has been what you would consider fit enough for the rigours of the Championship since he has been here. Forgetting all our other problems for a second we need somebody who can create something and beat a man. We also need one that actually plays the majority of games.

Re: Will Tomlin be fit ever again?

I'm over Tomlin. What's the point in keeping him around if he can't get get/stay fit? I'm sure he's on a decent wedge. 20 minutes a week isn't going to cut it. Also, he'll be turning 32 in January. Time to move on.

Remember that Tomlin did his hamstring at the end of July. I'm surprised that we've seen him at all in September considering his age and injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm over Tomlin. What's the point in keeping him around if he can't get get/stay fit? I'm sure he's on a decent wedge. 20 minutes a week isn't going to cut it. Also, he'll be turning 32 in January. Time to move on.
    It isn't a pop at him as such. He produces with a decent level of consistency.
    He just doesn't play.

We have him as back up and to inject creativity but our starting lineup especially in the middle of the park is woefully lacking in creativity. I honestly cannot work out the thinking in picking some of them (without slagging off individuals) . I can't work out what they add outside of an extra body in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Remember that Tomlin did his hamstring at the end of July. I'm surprised that we've seen him at all in September considering his age and injury history.
    I can't remember when he was fit before that.

He's always been like this while here.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    He's not really the answer, is he? infact, he never has been for any of his clubs. That's not knocking him, he's does some brilliant things that most players could only dream about. Let's be theoretical for a second. Imagine Tomlin could produce bits of brilliance for 70 minutes, consistently. He's a player that needs to drift into pocket of spaces and set his body shape, that means that his thought process when we're in possession isn't going to be what happens if we lose the ball. That's fair enough, he isn't going to produce those moments if he thinks that way. What we then need is players around him who are prepared to do his work for him, get the ball back as quickly as possible, that's the trade off. Problem is that the midfield sit off, in a line, they don't press or force opposition players which can make the addition of Tomlin one massive ****ing liability-that's not his fault though.

When Tomlin loses possession it usually results in thirty yards of space for the opposition to move into, again, not his fault. What Harris wont do is get other players around him when things go wrong, for some reason he doesn't fancy taking that risk where we push alittle further up the pitch in order to get the ball back quicker, which makes Tomlin a bit of a risk. We need two midfield players who can press together in order to close that horrible gap between the midfield and attack, it causes us massive problems in my opinion. Tomlin needs a bodyguard, someone who can accept that the risk is that he'll lose the ball while trying to be creative. We don't have that and i'm not sure Harris wants that anyway.

He should only have been given a new contract on a pay as you play basis, with incentives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    He's not really the answer, is he? infact, he never has been for any of his clubs. That's not knocking him, he's does some brilliant things that most players could only dream about. Let's be theoretical for a second. Imagine Tomlin could produce bits of brilliance for 70 minutes, consistently. He's a player that needs to drift into pocket of spaces and set his body shape, that means that his thought process when we're in possession isn't going to be what happens if we lose the ball. That's fair enough, he isn't going to produce those moments if he thinks that way. What we then need is players around him who are prepared to do his work for him, get the ball back as quickly as possible, that's the trade off. Problem is that the midfield sit off, in a line, they don't press or force opposition players which can make the addition of Tomlin one massive ****ing liability-that's not his fault though.

When Tomlin loses possession it usually results in thirty yards of space for the opposition to move into, again, not his fault. What Harris wont do is get other players around him when things go wrong, for some reason he doesn't fancy taking that risk where we push alittle further up the pitch in order to get the ball back quicker, which makes Tomlin a bit of a risk. We need two midfield players who can press together in order to close that horrible gap between the midfield and attack, it causes us massive problems in my opinion. Tomlin needs a bodyguard, someone who can accept that the risk is that he'll lose the ball while trying to be creative. We don't have that and i'm not sure Harris wants that anyway.
    A great observation and well-put.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    I can't remember when he was fit before that.

He's always been like this while here.
    He started 16 out of 18 league games for us between November and February last season.

It isn't a pop at him as such. He produces with a decent level of consistency.
    He just doesn't play.

We have him as back up and to inject creativity but our starting lineup especially in the middle of the park is woefully lacking in creativity. I honestly cannot work out the thinking in picking some of them (without slagging off individuals) . I can't work out what they add outside of an extra body in the middle.
    They don't add a great deal. One goes, the rest stay, even when we are playing against one striker, Harris wont push a defender into midfield when we're attacking and allow a midfielder a bit of forward licence.

Yep also started 24 times in the league last season, playing over 2000 minutes, that's not bad for someone who wasn't always in favour until Harris took over.

Imagine this team without Tomlin

He started 16 out of 18 league games for us between November and February last season.
    That number has certainly surprised me.
    It also doesn't help that he doesn't look the most mobile and free flowing when he does play.

Bottom line being that we still need more though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Yep also started 24 times in the league last season, playing over 2000 minutes, that's not bad for someone who wasn't always in favour until Harris took over.

Imagine this team without Tomlin
    We haven't got to imagine it. We were a team without Tomlin for over an hour today.
    Also without him for 77 minutes last weekend and 64 minutes the week before that.

Tomlin's best spell here was between Harris coming in and Tomlin being injured in second play-off game so I can see why Neil Harris believes in him and is giving him every chance to get back to that level of fitness, but we can't be a side which is only creative for 20 minutes when an older midfielder returning from injury is on the field. That's going back to the days of Russel Slade and Ameobi (replace creativity for attacking threat) and we're surely a better side than that now.

What players did Warnock sign in his last three windows that make us a better side today? I have it as Nelson and Smithies but struggling to think of any more, though you could make an argument for Cunningham. In hindsight, he had a really poor window three times in a row and we're really feeling it now especially as our transfer activity has become more limited in past two.

Not enough to have the odd game or 20 mins here or the odd half here but actually fit. Starting games with any regularity would be nice.

If he isn't and not likely to be then we need to get somebody in as this midfield is too slow physically but also slow of thought.

We've got an abundance of players who can sit in front of the back four to varying degrees of effectiveness and who can pass the ball simply.
    There is little to no flair outside of Tomlin. Nobody in our midfield can run past a man. It's unbelievably bad and ridiculous that it has got to this stage.

I am not sure of any period where Tomlin has been what you would consider fit enough for the rigours of the Championship since he has been here. Forgetting all our other problems for a second we need somebody who can create something and beat a man. We also need one that actually plays the majority of games.
    Nope.

And how any Championship team can indulge a player who will only ever play parts of a game is quite unbelievable (unless it was Messi or someone)

It just shows how poor we are that the club (the manager 🤦*♂️) are prepared to do so.

Out of interest, how many did he finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Nope.

And how any Championship team can indulge a player who will only ever play parts of a game is quite unbelievable (unless it was Messi or someone)

It just shows how poor we are that the club (the manager 🤦*♂️) are prepared to do so.
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Tomlin's best spell here was between Harris coming in and Tomlin being injured in second play-off game so I can see why Neil Harris believes in him and is giving him every chance to get back to that level of fitness, but we can't be a side which is only creative for 20 minutes when an older midfielder returning from injury is on the field. That's going back to the days of Russel Slade and Ameobi (replace creativity for attacking threat) and we're surely a better side than that now.

What players did Warnock sign in his last three windows that make us a better side today? I have it as Nelson and Smithies but struggling to think of any more, though you could make an argument for Cunningham. In hindsight, he had a really poor window three times in a row and we're really feeling it now especially as our transfer activity has become more limited in past two.
    Nelson isn't up to much

Nope.

The saddest thing is that he's our only creative spark.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    The saddest thing is that he's our only creative spark.
    Agreed.

I like Tomlin as a player, but I think he's got a bit of a refueling problem, and those Instagram snaps were a one off

Out of interest, how many did he finish?
    12 and he played at least 75 minutes in the games that he was substituted.

Does he also still live in Leicester?

Not ideal being 2.5 hours plus from Cardiff.

Does he also still live in Leicester?

Not ideal being 2.5 hours plus from Cardiff.
    His family live in Leicester.

Bamba used to go back to Leeds on his days off during his first couple of seasons here, but I don't remember him getting any criticism for it.