+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RELIABLE PLAYERS

RELIABLE PLAYERS

It seems that the current crop of players seem incapable of producing 7/10 performances game after game.

Not that long ago we had players like Don Cowie, Craig Conway and Chris Burke who by and large replicated their performances week in week out without being outstanding.
    Maybe that's being slightly unfair to Burkey, who could be great on his day.

Are we missing players of this ilk and if so where can they be found ? Is it worth trawling the Scottish leagues, as they do at least have a good reputation for producing fine wingers ?

Re: RELIABLE PLAYERS

id class Cowie and Conway as solid 6 players myself. A bit like Hoilett, good defensively and hit and miss upfield.

I don't remember us ever having a player that got a 7 every week.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    id class Cowie and Conway as solid 6 players myself. A bit like Hoilett, good defensively and hit and miss upfield.

I sort of agree with you regarding the Solid 6 marking but Conway at least could elevate himself into the 7 or 8 category with important goals from time to time. He was also a consistently good crosser of a ball. Moore would certainly benefit if he had that kind of service from out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I sort of agree with you regarding the Solid 6 marking but Conway at least could elevate himself into the 7 or 8 category with important goals from time to time. He was also a consistently good crosser of a ball. Moore would certainly benefit if he had that kind of service from out wide.
    Yeah we don't really have anyone who can deliver a decent cross but then Harris is playing lefties on the right ans vise versa which i dont think helps.

Yeah we don't really have anyone who can deliver a decent cross but then Harris is playing lefties on the right ans vise versa which i dont think helps.
    Kadeem Harris was a good crosser of the ball - and could get to the goal line. Whatever happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Kadeem Harris was a good crosser of the ball - and could get to the goal line. Whatever happened to him?
    he's part of the Cardiff City revolution at Sheffield Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    he's part of the Cardiff City revolution at Sheffield Wednesday
    True. Most times when I walk past the Sheffield Wednesday training ground I hear someone whistling 'Always shit on the English side of the bridge'! Gives me a warm glow, it does.

Personally I'd like to see someone like Mark Albrighton here, a tidy player who can pass and is always looking to put in a killer cross.
    Probably the type of player I was referring to in my original post. Always dependable, never lets you down. We do seem to have too many players who will put in a decent performance once in a while but can never be relied upon to produce consistently.

It seems that the current crop of players seem incapable of producing 7/10 performances game after game.

Not that long ago we had players like Don Cowie, Craig Conway and Chris Burke who by and large replicated their performances week in week out without being outstanding.
    Maybe that's being slightly unfair to Burkey, who could be great on his day.

Are we missing players of this ilk and if so where can they be found ? Is it worth trawling the Scottish leagues, as they do at least have a good reputation for producing fine wingers ?

Scoular's lot would have been scared stiff not to give 100% each game.

StT.
    <><

I always thought he was excellent at getting to the byline, but it was his delivery of the cross that often disappointed.

Personally I'd like to see someone like Mark Albrighton here, a tidy player who can pass and is always looking to put in a killer cross.
    Probably the type of player I was referring to in my original post. Always dependable, never lets you down. We do seem to have too many players who will put in a decent performance once in a while but can never be relied upon to produce consistently.
    tbh i dont disagree but then at the same time we have to many 6/10 players. A lot of hard workers, all put in a shift which is fine but we now miss quality or anyone to unlock a defence. I assume they are trying to move on Murphy as he is an obvious starter in the current squad especially without Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I always thought he was excellent at getting to the byline, but it was his delivery of the cross that often disappointed.
    My memory may be faulty, but I always liked Kadeem and I thought his crossing was good when he was with us - although he could be frustrating at times like most wingers.

Based on what I have seen if both I would much rather we had kept Kadeem than splashed £2m on Gavin Whyte. I hope Whyte becomes a great player but at the moment it looks like an expensive step backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Tea View Post

Scoular's lot would have been scared stiff not to give 100% each game.

StT.
    <><
    There’s always the 5-1 thrashing at Bramall Lane to contradict that. Scoular’s side melted in, perhaps, the most important game of his reign, win that one and we’re going up, chucked the towel in at home to Watford if I recall in the next home game as well. Loved Scoular but to say that his players always gave 100% can be proved wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There’s always the 5-1 thrashing at Bramall Lane to contradict that. Scoular’s side melted in, perhaps, the most important game of his reign, win that one and we’re going up, chucked the towel in at home to Watford if I recall in the next home game as well. Loved Scoular but to say that his players always gave 100% can be proved wrong.

I was there at both those games you mentioned. It wasn't that City didn't try at Sheffield rather the home team had 6 shots and five went in. Something similar happened at home to Watford if I'm not mistaken; Watford scored from one of very few shots on target. That aside I have heard that the players were told before the Sheff Utd game game that the Club weren't interested in promotion due to the financial cost of it. Whether that is true I don't know.

StT.
    <><

If anything we have far too many of the "solid 6/10" players and not enough genuine quality

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If anything we have far too many of the "solid 6/10" players and not enough genuine quality
    Talking about consistent players, is there any truth in the rumour that Joe Ralls is off to Bristol City ?

My memory may be faulty, but I always liked Kadeem and I thought his crossing was good when he was with us - although he could be frustrating at times like most wingers.

Based on what I have seen if both I would much rather we had kept Kadeem than splashed £2m on Gavin Whyte. I hope Whyte becomes a great player but at the moment it looks like an expensive step backwards.
    You're right, Harris could cross a ball, he had good delivery, quick feet, and he could vary it as well. Best crosser of a ball we've had over recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Talking about consistent players, is there any truth in the rumour that Joe Ralls is off to Bristol City ?
    Hmmm, that’s one that I’ve heard as well.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Hmmm, that’s one that I’ve heard as well.
    i know some dont rate ralls but i think he would be a huge loss. By far our best midfielder.