+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Distraught at the lot of the suffering students

Re: Distraught at the lot of the suffering students

Uni students. especially Freshers who had to also suffer from the A level fiasco, have had it tough. But so have many others especially the hundreds of thousands who will lose their jobs and possibly their houses as a result of the pandemic. Students are making the headlines at present and it's not difficult to feel sorry for them.

There's a good article here indicating the settings where the outbreaks have occurred. The chart at the end of the page is particularly interesting:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eaks-week.html

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's traditional for the older generation to criticise the young and students in general. It's easy to have paid off one's mortgage, to have worked continuously to retirement age and to pick up both an occupational pension and a state pension whilst bemoaning young people who now need a degree to do a job that used to require just O levels, having to compete ferociously for jobs thereafter and after incurring large debts on order to complete those degrees whilst having a far slimmer chance of taking up a mortgage in their early twenties like many of us did. Add on top of that the problems of global warming and dwindling resources, the need to change their skills numerous times in their lifetimes and the constant threat of unemployment, the threat of AI possibly making them superfluous in the work force, constant pressure to promote themselves with personal statements and the like and having to have a longer working life, belonging to a generation who will shoulder the economic financial problems caused by Brexit and Covid-19.
    I think we should try and see life through their prism and not ours in these troubled times.
    Good post. I am the older generation and to be honest glad I am not their age now.

It's traditional for the older generation to criticise the young and students in general. It's easy to have paid off one's mortgage, to have worked continuously to retirement age and to pick up both an occupational pension and a state pension whilst bemoaning young people who now need a degree to do a job that used to require just O levels, having to compete ferociously for jobs thereafter and after incurring large debts on order to complete those degrees whilst having a far slimmer chance of taking up a mortgage in their early twenties like many of us did. Add on top of that the problems of global warming and dwindling resources, the need to change their skills numerous times in their lifetimes and the constant threat of unemployment, the threat of AI possibly making them superfluous in the work force, constant pressure to promote themselves with personal statements and the like and having to have a longer working life, belonging to a generation who will shoulder the economic financial problems caused by Brexit and Covid-19.
    I think we should try and see life through their prism and not ours in these troubled times.
    Bang on, great post

International

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Heartless people on here seem to have dropped Gladys like a shithouse seat, who’s this Agnes all of a sudden??
    Gladys's twin sister!!!

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Bang on, great post
    Just can’t understand the amount of posters fawning over this post. I can’t decide if i’d file it under drama, or comedy.
    The world has been affected by a pandemic, which we still don’t have under control.
    The fall out was never gonna be pretty. The world has faced devastations since time began, but it has survived, and will continue to survive.
    How it faces up to the after math is the important bit.
    All this talk of the youth of today having to pick up the tab, work longer, struggle to get a mortgage, struggle with debt etc etc, is all man made.
    What we need from the youth of today, is for some strong, principled politicians and world leaders to emerge, with integrity, and fresh ideas.
    The politicians we’ve been lumbered with over the last 50 yrs the world over, have been lacking in all departments.
    There is enough wealth and food around, for the whole planet to thrive and flourish. Greed has taken over though. It’s up to the youth of today to grab the world by the scruff of the neck, and shake it up a bit.
    We have always been the masters of our own destimy.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Just can’t understand the amount of posters fawning over this post. I can’t decide if i’d file it under drama, or comedy.
    The world has been affected by a pandemic, which we still don’t have under control.
    The fall out was never gonna be pretty. The world has faced devastations since time began, but it has survived, and will continue to survive.
    How it faces up to the after math is the important bit.
    All this talk of the youth of today having to pick up the tab, work longer, struggle to get a mortgage, struggle with debt etc etc, is all man made.
    What we need from the youth of today, is for some strong, principled politicians and world leaders to emerge, with integrity, and fresh ideas.
    The politicians we’ve been lumbered with over the last 50 yrs the world over, have been lacking in all departments.
    There is enough wealth and food around, for the whole planet to thrive and flourish. Greed has taken over though. It’s up to the youth of today to grab the world by the scruff of the neck, and shake it up a bit.
    We have always been the masters of our own destimy.
    Disagree with me by all means but by describing my view as drama or comedy is unnecessary.

Disagree with me by all means but by describing my view as drama or comedy is unnecessary.
    I just thought the picture you painted was as though the youngsters of today may as well just throw the towel in.
    It really is up to them to stand up and change the game.

I just thought the picture you painted was as though the youngsters of today may as well just throw the towel in. It really is up to them to stand up and change the game.
    Bear in mind most of them weren't even old enough to vote when the current shower of shit was elected. It will be a long time before this year's new students will have the scope to 'change the game'. Who knows what state this mob will have left things in come that time?

Well put easy to be critical of the younger generation

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Bear in mind most of them weren't even old enough to vote when the current shower of shit was elected. It will be a long time before this year's new students will have the scope to 'change the game'. Who knows what state this mob will have left things in come that time?
    I agree with you, but major change can never be made overnight. My main point is though, that the present lot of youngsters, and the following generations can either sit back and take the brunt and fallout of our ****wit governments of the last couple of decades, or steer the ship to clearer, fairer waters. The likes of you and i can only sit in our rocking chairs and observe.

I just thought the picture you painted was as though the youngsters of today may as well just throw the towel in.
    It really is up to them to stand up and change the game.
    I merely described the current situation that they find themselves in and certain developments that they will have no control over. I hardly suggested that they 'just throw the towel in'.

I agree with you, but major change can never be made overnight. My main point is though, that the present lot of youngsters, and the following generations can either sit back and take the brunt and fallout of our ****wit governments of the last couple of decades, or steer the ship to clearer, fairer waters. The likes of you and i can only sit in our rocking chairs and observe.
    So do I assume you are fully supportive of Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion then?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126572...asked-apology/

£10K fine! For enjoying themselves!
    They're students, living the life!
    You're only one once!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/126572...asked-apology/

£10K fine! For enjoying themselves!
    They're students, living the life!
    You're only one once!
    Quite correct, my granddaughter is two today

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So do I assume you are fully supportive of Greta Thunberg and Extinction Rebellion then?
    I am supportive of anything that preserves the Earths lifetime, and steers it away from being the greed ridden cess pit It’s become.

I merely described the current situation that they find themselves in and certain developments that they will have no control over. I hardly suggested that they 'just throw the towel in'.
    C’mon TBG, you had plenty of accolades for that post. Sorry for denting your ego, but the only thing you left out of it was a plague of Locusts. 😁

C’mon TBG, you had plenty of accolades for that post. Sorry for denting your ego, but the only thing you left out of it was a plague of Locusts. ��
    Jealous, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Jealous, eh?
    No. Just not a doom and gloom merchant. Now get back to your coco pops and breakfast TV. There's a good lad.

No. Just not a doom and gloom merchant. Now get back to your coco pops and breakfast TV. There's a good lad.
    Oh oh oh oh well you, you get back to your pipe and slippers grandad, yeah.

Imagine getting so jealous of people agreeing with someone else that you have to try and burst their bubble.

in the bible belt of the United States they need evolution

What we need is a revolution

There is a war , This is a weapon
    Legal channels have been exhausted
    Direct action is the last recourse
    Ultramilitants
    Ultramilitant

EARTH CRISIS BREED THE KILLERS , ROADRUNNER RECORDS 1998

Oh oh oh oh well you, you get back to your pipe and slippers grandad, yeah.

Imagine getting so jealous of people agreeing with someone else that you have to try and burst their bubble.
    It’s called having a different opinion. TBG is old enough and ugly enough to look after himself on here. Don’t think he needs little arse lickers like you to defend him.

It’s called having a different opinion. TBG is old enough and ugly enough to look after himself on here. Don’t think he needs little arse lickers like you to defend him.
    I haven't said anything in defence of TBG

C’mon TBG, you had plenty of accolades for that post. Sorry for denting your ego, but the only thing you left out of it was a plague of Locusts. 😁
    No ego involved, old fruit, and I wouldn't recommend that anyone tries my posterior for a morning snack 😊

No ego involved, old fruit 😊
    Good to hear you old buzzard you.

I haven't said anything in defence of TBG
    Then why not just not add your opinion to the topic, instead of acting the smart arse?