+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only £500k for Paterson?

Only £500k for Paterson?

Also, "the Bluebirds hierarchy were a little taken aback by Harris' comments about the transfer";-

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-19007331

Re: Only £500k for Paterson?

I know he's much maligned on here but i'll stick my neck out and say that's the worst bit of transfer business selling-wise for a decade.

Obviously we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes and Pato could have forced the move, but on purely a fan perspective, what honestly is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    I know he's much maligned on here but i'll stick my neck out and say that's the worst bit of transfer business selling-wise for a decade.

Obviously we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes and Pato could have forced the move, but on purely a fan perspective, what honestly is the point.
    I may be wrong, but I think it was £400k we had to pay Hearts in compensation for Paterson (certainly no less than £300k) and since then he's been leading scorer for a team that were promoted to the Premier League and scored match winning goals in the top flight, yet, with two years left on his contract, we think that his value has appreciated by just £100/200k in the three years he's been with us? I'm not going to get involved in a debate about how good or bad a player he is and it may be that prices have been forced downward somewhat by the virus, but it just seems to me that we're seriously undervaluing him if that really is how much Sheffield Wednesday are paying for him.

We spent the whole of Sunday debating it bob under the Paterson thread that’s probably why it’s in WOL this morning.

The reported valuation seems very low.

Maybe the saving on wages makes the move attractive to the club - and surely Paterson was worried that he wouldn't get on the pitch much under Harris (although he would be on the bench a lot) and was pushing for a move?

That leaves the striker department with: Kieffer Moore, Robert Glatzel, Isaac Vassell and Mark Harris?

I miss Pato already!

Wednesday may still be trying to get Ken Zohore on a loan deal - so with Kadeem Harris and Callum Paterson there is a feel of putting the 2017-18 band back together in S6. Depending on what went on, and any ban, maybe there are eyes on NML too?

If and its a big if his wages are 20k a week then the fee is more than understandable for a player not in the line up and judging by posts over the last few months the majority wouldnt have him in the line up either.

Id rather he stayed but if he is on those wages or similar then unless hes going to be a regular I think its the right decision.

Theres others id move on as well where wed have to take losses after shelling out big fees.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Also, "the Bluebirds hierarchy were a little taken aback by Harris' comments about the transfer";-

Shockingly low transfer fee.

Whether he was going to play much or whether fans rated him or not is neither here or there.

An increase of 100k value for a player that contributed to promotion and played in the premier league for us is derisory.

The only way that the club can 'make good' on this is to recruit 3 or 4 players over the next week or so... a winger, a number 10, a striker and a right back - bizarrely ALL positions that Paterson played for us!

With a couple of exceptions, Zohore and Mason spring to mind, we rarely seem to get a decent fee for our players and I doubt whether anyone at the club has heard of a sell on clause.

Regarding Paterson, whilst not the most gifted of players, the guy is 100% commitment and has played anywhere he has been asked. This is a rarity these days.

It is a shame that Callum has not been able to secure a regular place in the side but if the manager has to get rid to free up some cash in order to strengthen the side then so be it. The manager has to be backed in this case.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but most EFL clubs are a bit short of cash at the moment.

Paterson signed a new contract with us in the summer of 2018, so it's quite likely that he's one of the highest paid players at the club.

We have freed up quite a bit in wages this summer though with Danny Ward, Etheridge, Connolly, NML & Jazz out the door.
    Callum is a pain in the arse player to the opposition, someone who can come on, rough them up and free up ralls, tomlin and the rest to create some chances. If 500K is being mooted then I'd much prefer to keep him, he would have been ideal to come on against reading and get us back in the game.
    What do we know though.

£1.5 - £2 million would have been a fare fee for Paterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    single or return?

You only get what a club will offer for a player! He was our third choice striker on a lot of money ffs. We don’t need another striker as we only play one but an alternate for Tomlin, another winger who can cross the ball and a right back are vital if we want success this season!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    single or return?

Don't Hearts have a sell on clause?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I guess the issue is whether or not we could have got a better transfer fee for him before the close of the window. It appears that keeping him wasn't an option, it appears that Harris is happy with him leaving so we needed him off the wage bill.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else leaves before the window closes.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Don't Hearts have a sell on clause?
    They will be compensated as part of his development cost but he came on a free so no specific sell on clause.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    They will be compensated as part of his development cost but he came on a free so no specific sell on clause.
    We paid 400k for Paterson, and he asked for 15% sell on for the future fee which we agreed to.

Paterson is a workhorse

And scores goals

We should be keeping players like that not selling them

Same reaction as the Peltier transfer and I don't understand the uproar. They're both terrible football players and I'm glad we're trying to move on from this style even if it means a few teething problems...

The lack of interest from any other clubs at a purchase price of £500k would either suggest that he’s no better than that, or that his wages are too high for others to consider

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Paterson is a workhorse

And scores goals

We should be keeping players like that not selling them
    Thing is we've got too many workhorses in the team and not enough quality.

Transfer fees are now more often than not determined by wider circumstances of the selling club and the buying club rather than how much the player is worth.

If this is the correct fee being reported, we're selling a player who is currently seen as either our third best forward or, arguably, second best right footed wide-man or second or third best right-back, and if we need the money to reinvest in arears that are weaker and there are no offers for any other players or need him off pay-roll to help balance the books then this puts us in a weak position to be asking for what we may think he's worth.

We have struggled in the market recently presumably because (buying) we're so reliant on transfers having ignored/not trusted the youth system and traditionally have such a small scouting system so can't quickly move on if fee is wrong and (selling) have bought older players who we get to play to their best but don't seem to develop their skills or reveal any new information about them.

It has worked and has given us a massive boost in a premier league season/parachute payments that would make many other Championship clubs envious, especially in these uncertain times, but there is a lot still to develop. Think keeping a player currently seen as third best striking option when media writes positive report about home-grown player desperate for minutes currently sitting in fourth place seems to be the short-term thinking we're tying to move away from.

It would be hilarious if Wednesday buy him and use him exclusively as a right back, and he does really well

Kieffer Moore cost us £2m. Do you really think any club would pay that much for Paterson?