+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Only £500k for Paterson?

Re: Only £500k for Paterson?

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    With a couple of exceptions, Zohore and Mason spring to mind, we rarely seem to get a decent fee for our players and I doubt whether anyone at the club has heard of a sell on clause.

Regarding Paterson, whilst not the most gifted of players, the guy is 100% commitment and has played anywhere he has been asked. This is a rarity these days.

It is a shame that Callum has not been able to secure a regular place in the side but if the manager has to get rid to free up some cash in order to strengthen the side then so be it. The manager has to be backed in this case.
    After Harris' comments I don't think he had too much input on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Kieffer Moore cost us £2m. Do you really think any club would pay that much for Paterson?
    Precisely. It's a bit of a buyer's market at the moment. Unless you're a club with a talented asset that can move on to a bigger club, there isn't the money to be splashing around at the moment, especially with no clues as to when fans might be allowed back into grounds. It's been difficult to move players on over the last few seasons. It's even more difficult now.

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    After Harris' comments I don't think he had too much input on the move.
    I wonder if Harris would have made those comments if we hadn't just lost 2-0 at home.

Sorry to see him go. Been on of my favourite players. Despite his short comings.

More importantly we also have to consider redecorating the outside of the stadium now. Prob cost £500k knowing us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We paid 400k for Paterson, and he asked for 15% sell on for the future fee which we agreed to.
    Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Kieffer Moore cost us £2m. Do you really think any club would pay that much for Paterson?
    I didn't realise we were in administration

On the surface it seems like a small fee but this is a player the manager didn't want and 2 years of 20k a week is over £2m for a bench warmer. I'd rather accept a small fee than the situations we've had in the past of players earning a fortune and not playing for years. Or the stream of players who were released via mutual termination.

We've not lost any money and potentially stand to save some. You also never know how an unhappy and unsettled player can effect the atmosphere in the club - not suggestion Patterson would but we'll never know the full details.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    single or return?

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    On the surface it seems like a small fee but this is a player the manager didn't want and 2 years of 20k a week is over £2m for a bench warmer. I'd rather accept a small fee than the situations we've had in the past of players earning a fortune and not playing for years. Or the stream of players who were released via mutual termination.

We've not lost any money and potentially stand to save some. You also never know how an unhappy and unsettled player can effect the atmosphere in the club - not suggestion Patterson would but we'll never know the full details.
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post

Indeed. None of us know the real reasons why but I suspect it is financial.
    If he was in the setup and getting a game then I might feel a bit differently.
    Will be sad to see him go.

you would think Boro would come in for him at that price.

meanwhile on planet earth the very existence of many clubs in the EFL are on the brink and we're moaning about a transfer fee of a squad player . lets hope we can survive the season ahead far more important !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54322650

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanBluebird View Post
    Shockingly low transfer fee.

Whether he was going to play much or whether fans rated him or not is neither here or there.

An increase of 100k value for a player that contributed to promotion and played in the premier league for us is derisory.

The only way that the club can 'make good' on this is to recruit 3 or 4 players over the next week or so... a winger, a number 10, a striker and a right back - bizarrely ALL positions that Paterson played for us!
    Maybe the price is connected to the virus, which is devaluing many players.
    In that case Harris should get on his bike and look for a bargain midfield player.

at the end of the day would we be happy signings a bit part player from another club for 500k Maybe, on a reported 20k a week, doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I didn't realise we were in administration
    We're not.

We also weren't the only club that made an offer for Moore.

Transfermarkt have him valued at £2.52m! Then again, they say we got him for free...

Wage saving I guess, looks like were carrying out some in house savings as the budget gets tighter in these uncertain times. Etheridge wages would have also been high .

I hear that Paterson can be a bit disruptive within the squad if not picked.

Is there any evidence that prices have fallen to the degree suggested by the price we're reportedly getting for Paterson? I don't see much evidence of it - to me, a realistic price for him is something between double and quadruple what we are supposed to be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Is there any evidence that prices have fallen to the degree suggested by the price we're reportedly getting for Paterson? I don't see much evidence of it - to me, a realistic price for him is something between double and quadruple what we are supposed to be getting.
    even if it was 5-10 times higher I don't think many eyebrows would be raised, based on his promotion season and season in the premier League

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    While I don't disagree, were we in a position to wait to see if anyone else wanted him? I presume £500k was the max Sheffield Wednesday were prepared to pay. Turn that down and no one else comes in for him, he's on our wage bill until January at the earliest.

I thought he could play as our number 10/second striker.

Yeah no where near as creative as tomlin but maybe worth a shot

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    I thought he could play as our number 10/second striker.

Yeah no where near as creative as tomlin but maybe worth a shot
    Bang it up the field to Paterson , he takes out two players , tomlin or one of the others bangs it in the net

Corners , throws ins, Paterson causes havoc in the penalty area a fox in the box tucks it away

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    even if it was 5-10 times higher I don't think many eyebrows would be raised, based on his promotion season and season in the premier League
    Why aren't clubs queuing up to take Paterson off our hands if we're willing to sell him for £500k and he's actually worth 5-10 times more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    While I don't disagree, were we in a position to wait to see if anyone else wanted him? I presume £500k was the max Sheffield Wednesday were prepared to pay. Turn that down and no one else comes in for him, he's on our wage bill until January at the earliest.
    If Sheffield Wednesday are the only club willing to pay a transfer fee for Paterson and £500k is the most they are willing to pay, then he's worth £500k.

Interesting how it’s taking a while to be announced. Hopefully this is because Cardiff are finalising a new arrival!