+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: My 18 versus Blackburn if no one signs for us in the meantime and are all fit to play....

My 18 versus Blackburn if no one signs for us in the meantime and are all fit to play....

Smithies
    Osei-Tutu Morrison Bamba Cunningham
    Murphy Tomlin Ralls Vaulks Pack
    Moore

Subs: Day Ojo Bennett Nelson Glatzel Hoilett Bacuna

Out of squad: Whyte Harris Flint

Let’s hope we sign at least 3 others before Saturday to include a right back, a #10 and a winger who can cross the ball!
    Have gone for Bamba as the defence is leaking too many avoidable goals although believe that Nelson is generally a sound centre half. Also in my opinion Bennett is a defensive weak link and Cunningham is a far better defender.

Re: My 18 versus Blackburn if no one signs for us in the meantime and are all fit to play....

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    Smithies
    Moore

Let’s hope we sign at least 3 others before Saturday to include a right back, a #10 and a winger who can cross the ball!
    Have gone for Bamba as the defence is leaking too many avoidable goals although believe that Nelson is generally a sound centre half. Also in my opinion Bennett is a defensive weak link and Cunningham is a far better defender.
    I'm a big fan of Sol Bamba but he's past it now. Anyone who has seen Bamba play this year since his return from that dreadful injury will know he's nowhere near up to starting a game. The only times he's started are as part of a back 3, he'd be roasted if there are only 2 centre backs.

Last season he managed only 2 league appearances of any note, a second half subsitution at Sheffield Wednesday and he was hauled off at half time at QPR with us 3-0 down. He played every minute of our mini run in the FA cup, conceding 9 goals in 4 games, 5 to Carlisle. He was brought off again at Northampton with us being 3-0 down. We've conceded 2.5 goals per 90 minutes when he's played since his return from injury with over half of the goals being scored against us by lower division clubs.

Flint should be next in line and useful as a target man if we're chasing a game late on.

Re: My 18 versus Blackburn if no one signs for us in the meantime and are all fit to play....

Let's be fair we haven't got many options. There's too little quality in the squad

It’s gonna be a tough game, that! Blackburn are scoring for fun at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It’s gonna be a tough game, that! Blackburn are scoring for fun at the moment.
    They were also just about the best side I saw us play down here last season.

I agree with Eric about Sol Bamba, but it seems Flint is fourth choice centreback now (could he leave before the window closes?).

I've not seen the game, but it seems Morrison and Nelson struggled somewhat on Saturday - I hope we're not going to see the latter's standards drop now he's signed a new contract.

Cunningham is really a centre half. I would play him instead of Nelson alongside Morrison. Won't Bennet be fit soon?

Smithies
    Moore

Bamba and Tomlin can't start games.

SMithies

Osei-Tutu Morrison Nelson Bennett (if fit)

bacuna Ralls

Whyte Tomlin Hoilet

Moore

Subs
    Day
    Murphy
    Glatzel
    Ojo
    Harris
    Bagan
    D'almeida

Smithies

Osei-Tutu Morrison Nelson Cunningham

Murphy Ralls Vaulks Pack Hoilett

Moore

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Cunningham is really a centre half. I would play him instead of Nelson alongside Morrison. Won't Bennet be fit soon?
    Are you sure? He's filled in there during his career but he's never had any sort of run in that position otherwise. Paterson has played more games at right back than Cunningham has at centre back. Cunningham has played nearly as much at left midfield as centre back.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Are you sure? He's filled in there during his career but he's never had any sort of run in that position otherwise. Paterson has played more games at right back than Cunningham has at centre back. Cunningham has played nearly as much at left midfield as centre back.
    No I'm not sure. I know he has played centre half and he even looks like one to me judging by the way he moves. When I have seen him play full back he looks uncomfortable but that's only my opinion. He's certainly not a wing back.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bamba and Tomlin can't start games.
    Bamba should not be in contention to start before Flint and if Tomlin is unable to start a game then we must go into the transfer market immediately.
    Not for a free transfer but a key midfield player who is one of the first on the team sheet every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Cunningham is a left back, and a decent one at this level. He’s weak though, for a centre back at least. Now is not the time to panic with Morrison and Nelson. They’re our best centre backs and we should stick with them. Those two, Moore and Smithies are undroppable. Everyone else...

Smithies

Osei-Tutu Morrison Nelson Bennett

Ralls Pack Bacuna

(winger based on who has done best in training) Moore (winger based on who has done best in training)

Difficult to say who should start offensively out wide as all so inconsistent with how they play. We saw last year Adomah play for 70 minutes that NML come on to maximise damage he could do/ minimise self-harm of an iffy performance so we might have to go back to utilising our bench like that.

Smithies
    Moore

Sorry I liked Bamba in the Warnock era , sadly I feel he should retire now and join our management team .

Cunningham is worth a punt and Bennett is good at this level , our creativity and supply up front is the issue , why Tomlin is not fit is confusing, but we need another option in that slot . Pity Murphy can't be deployed there?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Sorry I liked Bamba in the Warnock era , sadly I feel he should retire now and join our management team .

Cunningham is worth a punt and Bennett is good at this level , our creativity and supply up front is the issue , why Tomlin is not fit is confusing, but we need another option in that slot . Pity Murphy can't be deployed there?
    If we are going to discover another No 10 to cover for Tomlin from our existing squad then my bet would be on Junior rather than Murphy (or Ralls or Bacuna or Mark Harris or Paterson - sorry, forget the last one).

Hoilett is tricky, can pass, can create a goal, and seems to be slowing down - so is even less likely than before (and not very likely back then) to beat a player out wide and create a pass or scoring opportunity. He has a football brain when he is on his game. Sit him behind Moore and he might be a revelation!

I'm surprised that Hoilett hasn't been used at 10. I think he has played for short spells and has done ok.
    Now he has lost that yard of pace he is not do effective on the left. Murphy or Odi, who are both natural left footers can the have a decent run in their favoured position.

I'm surprised that Glatzel hasn't been deployed in the 10 role. Yes I know it leaves us with a lack of options but quite often last season hed droo back to support the middle and get the play moving.
    Worth a go?

Ralls is clearly the manager preferred option at no10. I thought he did quite well against Forest, got into a number of good positions ahea6of the main striker. Unfortunately he failed to score despite decent opportunities. That can be put down to a lack of sharpness, so if Tomlin is still not 100%, I guess he will start as no 10 against Blackburn.
    I do like the idea of Hoilett there, however, and am surprised Harris hadn't give him the spot. Having lost a bit of pace, he is still tricky and can spot a pass.

As long as Ojo is not in the starting lineup I don't care - but he will not break up the usual back 4 with Bennett fit.

He will not drop Bacuna and play Ralls if he is fit