+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ever wondered why Glamorgan CC

Ever wondered why Glamorgan CC

Don't get any Cardiff Asians playing for them.
    Is this the answer.
    https://wisden.com/stories/news-stor...n-racist-abuse

Re: Ever wondered why Glamorgan CC

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    Don't get any Cardiff Asians playing for them.
    Is this the answer.
    https://wisden.com/stories/news-stor...n-racist-abuse
    whoever wrote that article should check the history of glamorgan overseas player

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    whoever wrote that article should check the history of glamorgan overseas player
    Why would that make any difference. There is an article here of someone who grew up in the system saying they experienced racism. Im not really surprised on the nature of the comments, i don't doubt their validity.

A Glamorgan overseas star would live in a bubble, away from the 2nd team, and league cricket and wouldnt have to deal with these sorts of attitudes.

I would say the issue of Cardiff Asians playing for Glamorgan and Prem Sisodiya is currently in the Glamorgan set-up, is quite complex and not easily resolved.

Three or four years ago, I can remember Hugh Morris talking about a fifteen year old Asian leg spinner at the club who he was predicting great things for, can't remember his name, but I would have thought we would have been hearing something about him by now if he was as good as claimed and was still with us - I hope something similar to what's described in that article didn't happen to him.

Cricket is a hugely popular sport with Asians and you just have to look at the representation of the National side and other county sides.

However cricket in this country has a real problem. In the 2nd Test v Pakistan this summer 9 out of the 11 in the England team were privately educated.

Youngsters in working class areas and particularly with a large asian community are not getting the opportunities to play the game.

Its no wonder they are not coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Cricket is a hugely popular sport with Asians and you just have to look at the representation of the National side and other county sides.

However cricket in this country has a real problem. In the 2nd Test v Pakistan this summer 9 out of the 11 in the England team were privately educated.

Youngsters in working class areas and particularly with a large asian community are not getting the opportunities to play the game.

Its no wonder they are not coming through.
    Blimey, I realised that there was an elitism element to cricket, but 8/10 is crazy.
    I have always felt that Glam cricket was a bit of a closed book and unless you were of the crachach/rugby fraternity you were not welcome. Guess that extends to our ethnic community as well.
    Shame on Glamorgan.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Blimey, I realised that there was an elitism element to cricket, but 8/10 is crazy.
    I have always felt that Glam cricket was a bit of a closed book and unless you were of the crachach/rugby fraternity you were not welcome. Guess that extends to our ethnic community as well.
    Shame on Glamorgan.
    In England’s most recent January Test match against South Africa in Johannesburg, seven (64%) of the playing XI received a private education.

But of those seven, four – Dom Sibley, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran and captain Joe Root – were awarded sports scholarships which allowed them to attend their respective independent institutions in Somerset, Yorkshire, Surrey and Berkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    In England’s most recent January Test match against South Africa in Johannesburg, seven (64%) of the playing XI received a private education.

But of those seven, four – Dom Sibley, Jos Buttler, Sam Curran and captain Joe Root – were awarded sports scholarships which allowed them to attend their respective independent institutions in Somerset, Yorkshire, Surrey and Berkshire.
    i may have mentioned this before

My Youngest daughter played Cricket for the country and a local team ( in her girls team for the local team she was the only girl going to a state school ) i was chatting to a dad of one of the boys ( she also played for the boys team in softball qwik cricket on sunday morning, girls can play 2 years down in the boys game ) and he offered us a sports scholarship for he school when i mentioned she was going to our local secondary school, it turns out he was the head of the school, this school put so much into being the best at cricket in the area / england that it was a gimme that he wanted her at the school, we had a few meetings and took her to visit the school twice ( it was a lovely school, the roll of honour board was impressive ) we were a little unsure of her going, it just wasnt our type of place ( but you cannot get away from the fact that most students leave with GSCE 9's and A Level A*'s and A's )

that summer as she had just competed in a county match, she got in the van and announced she wanted to stop cricket and concentrate of football, a shame as her education would have been the best, but we hope it was for the best

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Three or four years ago, I can remember Hugh Morris talking about a fifteen year old Asian leg spinner at the club who he was predicting great things for, can't remember his name, but I would have thought we would have been hearing something about him by now if he was as good as claimed and was still with us - I hope something similar to what's described in that article didn't happen to him.
    Prem Sisodiya? Although, at that time, he would have been a little older than you have indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueToujours View Post
    Prem Sisodiya? Although, at that time, he would have been a little older than you have indicated.
    No, it was hasn't him, this kid was a leg spinner.

https://www.glamorgancricket.com/new...ales-statement

Seems a strange one as Glammy would prosper from home grown talent coming through the ranks via academy and local communities links .

Over the years many high profile out spoken Asians and Caribbean players have lived and breathed within the Glammy set up , I am sure they would have spoken out if this behavior was seen or known ?

Been to many Glammy , Test games and I cant say I've ever picked up on this behavior within the ground or meeting players and officials at events , its a lovely club ?