+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the club doesn't bring in a decent replacement...

If the club doesn't bring in a decent replacement...

For Paterson I will be very very annoyed.
    We have lost Ward, NML,Etheridge and now Paterson, replaced by 2 on loan players who have yet to prove themselves and of course 1 good quality striker.
    I havent seen our squad looking so thin for years.
    I may be an optimist but I am hoping that 2 forward players have been lined up. If not I will be a very unhappy bunny.
    🐰

Re: If the club doesn't bring in a decent replacement...

2 attacking players and a defender will be brought in and 2 players will be leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    2 attacking players and a defender will be brought in and 2 players will be leaving
    SoURce?

We needed to trim the squad desperately.
    At the end of this season we will have no more parachute payments, so basically we've got this season to bring our wage budget back to Championship levels.

All the players who have left were with us in the premier league, so were probably on large wages due to promotion clauses.

I'd say our squad is probably better balanced now, with more room to bring youngsters through.
    There is still work to be done, as quite a few players contracts are up at the end of the season too.

I can't see us troubling the promotion race this season, but if we rebalance the squad and bring one or two players through then it should give us a foundation to build on in future seasons.

As WOL reported earlier, the club have taken 7 senior players out of the squad (although one or two were always injured): Connolly, Jazz, Bogle, Etheridge, Ward, Paterson and Mendez-Laing; and the 2019-20 loan players have also left. They have brought in 3 senior players - 2 of them season long loans.

Maybe some of the 'youth' players are closer to the squad than in previous years: Tom Sang (out on loan to January) and Mark Harris are the ones most mentioned by the manager, but George Ratcliffe, Joel Bagan, and up to half a dozen others are training with the first team - but very unlikely to be in a match day squad yet for a league game.

That leaves the squad thinner and weaker than before. I want to see youth players given a chance, but we also need more quality and depth on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    As WOL reported earlier, the club have taken 7 senior players out of the squad (although one or two were always injured): Connolly, Jazz, Bogle, Etheridge, Ward, Paterson and Mendez-Laing; and the 2019-20 loan players have also left. They have brought in 3 senior players - 2 of them season long loans.

Maybe some of the 'youth' players are closer to the squad than in previous years: Tom Sang (out on loan to January) and Mark Harris are the ones most mentioned by the manager, but George Ratcliffe, Joel Bagan, and up to half a dozen others are training with the first team - but very unlikely to be in a match day squad yet for a league game.

That leaves the squad thinner and weaker than before. I want to see youth players given a chance, but we also need more quality and depth on top of that.
    Quality perhaps, but it would be very difficult to have more depth and bring through youngsters.
    When we've got senior players not getting in the team they're obviously going to get in ahead of a youngster if others are injured or lose form, so how would the youngsters ever get a game?

A young striker last season would have had Glatzel, Ward, Paterson and Vassell in front of them. A left winger Hoilett and Murphy. A left Back Bennett and Cunningham. A young goalkeeper Smithies and Etheridge. Similar stories all over the pitch.

Unless we make room for the younger players they are never going to play.
    And if they never play they are never going to become good enough.

I think it'll be a difficult season in the short term, but hopefully we can lay some good foundations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Quality perhaps, but it would be very difficult to have more depth and bring through youngsters.
    When we've got senior players not getting in the team they're obviously going to get in ahead of a youngster if others are injured or lose form, so how would the youngsters ever get a game?

A young striker last season would have had Glatzel, Ward, Paterson and Vassell in front of them. A left winger Hoilett and Murphy. A left Back Bennett and Cunningham. A young goalkeeper Smithies and Etheridge. Similar stories all over the pitch.

I think it'll be a difficult season in the short term, but hopefully we can lay some good foundations.
    Exactly. People have gone on about giving youth a chance. This is what it looks like

As long as we stay in the Championship, I don't really care about the depth of the squad this season. We're obviously not pushing for promotion, I'll be happy to see us regroup and progress from there.

I generally agree with what you say - but we have a lack of depth at RB that will not be covered by a youth player. If Osei-Tutu is injured it will be Bacuna that covers - and that is a square peg in a round hole. There may be more chance of youth players covering the forward positions, but again there is no obvious back up for Tomlin. The club website currently shows 23 players in the First Team Squad - including Tom Sang (who is away on loan until January), Mark Harris and Isaac Vassell. If Sang and Harris are used this season it will be progress. In past years a clutch of youth players have been given squad numbers but got nowhere near the pitch.

22 current 1st teamers which includes the 2 loans, mark harris and vassell. It is starting to feel very thin but the windows not over so there may be hopefully some more to come in - however the youngsters must now be in the forefront of the clubs hierarchy to step up.
    Interesting transition but by no means panic stations. We've still got a good team so not worrying about relegation, just not expecting a promotion charge either.

Agreed with ewe all. Mid table is probably all we can expect. Hopefully we’ll see the team play a more progressive game!

Tan has to take responsibility for allowing Warnock and his pals to squander over £50m without any proper oversight. Cost-cutting is the price we have to pay. For a club which benefitted from Premier League income and parachute payments not once but twice in the last 7 years its a sorry state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbert View Post
    Tan has to take responsibility for allowing Warnock and his pals to squander over £50m without any proper oversight. Cost-cutting is the price we have to pay. For a club which benefitted from Premier League income and parachute payments not once but twice in the last 7 years its a sorry state of affairs.
    He backed a manager who got us to promotion. What was he supposed to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Think long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    He did allow Warnock to do splash out or overpay on some duffers, though.

It’s not like Madine had any more success than Cornelius, but which one do they always seem to go on about?

Think you’re all going a bit overboard, Pato was pretty shit tbh and if you expect an owner who’s business interests are almost solely in the hospitality sector to be splashing the cash with all that’s going on you’re deluded!

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.17 View Post
    Think you’re all going a bit overboard, Pato was pretty shit tbh and if you expect an owner who’s business interests are almost solely in the hospitality sector to be splashing the cash with all that’s going on you’re deluded!
    People have definitely been sucked in by the cult figure status he possessed and not his ability. He may do okay for Weds but we won't miss him.

Would not surprise me to see old Albert back from Forest on a permanent 2 year deal

Quote Originally Posted by Poolerblue View Post
    Assuming you're right my best guess would be Whyte and Flint to leave.

Adomah, Knockhaert (loan), Sanderson in.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Assuming you're right my best guess would be Whyte and Flint to leave.

Adomah, Knockhaert (loan), Sanderson in.
    adomah is 32 now, do we really want to be signing a 32 year old winger?

adomah is 32 now, do we really want to be signing a 32 year old winger?
    https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/it...d-the-verdict/

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Would not surprise me to see old Albert back from Forest on a permanent 2 year deal
    a 2 yeaar deal? christ I hope not.
    How many 34 year old wingers are there out there?
    He'll just be another player eating up wages and not contributing in 12 months time.

Its midfielders we need, until we get players (other than tomlin) who can pass a ball forward instead of sideways we'll continue to be awful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    People have definitely been sucked in by the cult figure status he possessed and not his ability. He may do okay for Weds but we won't miss him.
    17-18 he was our top scorer in the league
    18-19 he was joint third top scorer in the league (only two players had more goals than him)
    19-20 he chipped in with five goals and covered more than one position on the pitch from the bench

We will miss him but won't miss paying his wages and have too many gaps in squad to continue to do so.

Cardiff for sure are in need of a RB, CAM, LW and ST.

I don't see the youth offering adequate cover at this stage. Especially for RB and CAM. And Cardiff are one crocked striker away from being in crisis up top.