+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If the club doesn't bring in a decent replacement...

Re: If the club doesn't bring in a decent replacement...

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    17-18 he was our top scorer in the league
    18-19 he was joint third top scorer in the league (only two players had more goals than him)
    19-20 he chipped in with five goals and covered more than one position on the pitch from the bench

We will miss him but won't miss paying his wages and have too many gaps in squad to continue to do so.
    "joint third top scorer in the league" = 4 goals

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Cardiff for sure are in need of a RB, CAM, LW and ST.

I don't see the youth offering adequate cover at this stage. Especially for RB and CAM. And Cardiff are one crocked striker away from being in crisis up top.
    We have enough left wingers and strikers

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We have enough left wingers and strikers
    Right wing is what I intended to say. Had Whyte's position confused, as I have the feeling that he's not favoured by Harris and from what I've seen from him since signing he does not offer much especially considering he replaced Kadeem.

As for strikers it only takes Glatzel or Moore to get injured to be caught short up top. Vassell appears to be made out of glass, so can hardly depend on him to be a week in week out 90 minute player when he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Exactly. People have gone on about giving youth a chance. This is what it looks like
    People go on about giving youth a chance until we have a couple of bad results and they want to throw money at the problem.

God help should we bring some youngsters through and they lose a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    People go on about giving youth a chance until we have a couple of bad results and they want to throw money at the problem.

Not a bad season to try youth, considering we have no crowd to get on their back.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Assuming you're right my best guess would be Whyte and Flint to leave.

Adomah, Knockhaert (loan), Sanderson in.
    No-one’s going to spend good money on those two despite Warnock managing to spend £6m on them. Given the excessive wages ‘our Neil’ and the transfer committee would have handed out then I think we’re stuffed in terms of moving them on.

I can see Whyte, Murphy, Flint and Cunningham going yet with one cheap winger coming in as a replacement and maybe a No10

People also complain about us playing hoofball, but get upset when we sell a player who can't play any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    People also complain about us playing hoofball, but get upset when we sell a player who can't play any other way.
    Exactly

18-19 he was joint third top scorer in the league (only two players had more goals than him)
    19-20 he chipped in with five goals and covered more than one position on the pitch from the bench

We will miss him but won't miss paying his wages and have too many gaps in squad to continue to do so.
    Wouldn't dispute any of that or try and twist the stats. What I would say to reinforce my original point is that he isn't a particularly gifted player, who relies on being a bit of a battering ram at the best of times. Harris it would appear, doesn't want to utilise such a player, even big Kieffer has technical ability. Paterson certainly served a purpose, but if he'd been out of the picture for most of the season which it would appear was going to happen under Harris, then the point stands, we won't miss him.

Someone else on the thread has pointed it out, we're all crying for us to move away from Warnock ball, well these are the players you have to ship on the make that happen. Good servant for the club, good memory provider, but his worth to the club would've been half of what they got if they'd just sat him on the bench all season.

We won't miss him.

“Joint third top scorer in the league” for a team that scored hardly any goals

Let’s cut the rose tinted nonsense, he had a good 2nd half of the season 2-2.5 years ago and has dined out on it ever since.

The fact we played him upfront as our main striker in the Premier League was utterly embarrassing.

He was given plenty opportunity last year by both Warnock and Harris and he wasn’t good enough. His inability As a professional footballer to control the football was frustrating to say the least, especially as we tried to move away from Warnocks anti football.

It become evident he’s third choice striker behind Moore and Glatzel which surely no one could argue with and what is the point of paying someone 20k a week to sit on the bench and be a negative influence.

I see some moaning we are getting rid of a number 10 when we need a back up 10 for Tomlin. A number 10, in a Tomlin sense and in a side trying to play more football he is most certainly not.

Thank you for the effort and the memories but it’s a deal that suits all parties.

Let’s cut the rose tinted nonsense, he had a good 2nd half of the season 2-2.5 years ago and has dined out on it ever since.

The fact we played him upfront as our main striker in the Premier League was utterly embarrassing.

He was given plenty opportunity last year by both Warnock and Harris and he wasn’t good enough. His inability As a professional footballer to control the football was frustrating to say the least, especially as we tried to move away from Warnocks anti football.

It become evident he’s third choice striker behind Moore and Glatzel which surely no one could argue with and what is the point of paying someone 20k a week to sit on the bench and be a negative influence.

I see some moaning we are getting rid of a number 10 when we need a back up 10 for Tomlin. A number 10, in a Tomlin sense and in a side trying to play more football he is most certainly not.

Thank you for the effort and the memories but it’s a deal that suits all parties.
    I agree, though the fact we relied on him so much as a striker wasn't embarrassing for him, but embarrassing that for all the forwards we brought in, our best option was Paterson. It's not an endorsement of Paterson but a criticism of the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I agree, though the fact we relied on him so much as a striker wasn't embarrassing for him, but embarrassing that for all the forwards we brought in, our best option was Paterson. It's not an endorsement of Paterson but a criticism of the rest.
    It’s a criticism of Colin more than anything but I do feel that being picked as the main striker went to Patersons head a bit too.

It’s a criticism of Colin more than anything but I do feel that being picked as the main striker went to Patersons head a bit too.
    It did. He thought he was a striker. He could finish, mind. I remember him scoring a belter of a volley at Derby. Last season wasn't his best and he was abysmal after lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It did. He thought he was a striker. He could finish, mind. I remember him scoring a belter of a volley at Derby. Last season wasn't his best and he was abysmal after lockdown.
    Most of his goals were scruffy. For every good finish there was 10 times when he would lose possession .

I remember him mouthing off after being substituted against Bristol after lockdown, despite having contributed little all game. Danny Ward came on and scored that brilliant winner, which made Paterson look a bit silly.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    I remember him mouthing off after being substituted against Bristol after lockdown, despite having contributed little all game. Danny Ward came on and scored that brilliant winner, which made Paterson look a bit silly.
    Yes, there were a few occasions he got the hump at being hooked even though he wasn’t playing well. That particular occasion when Tomlin and Ward linked up against the Wurzels made him look a bit silly, you’re right.

In terms of whether we'll miss him or not, it's a valid stat. For sure it mostly highlights how few goals we scored that year but if your side isn't scoring easily and you take out one of the players who can then you miss that player.

In terms of whether we'll miss him or not, it's a valid stat. For sure it mostly highlights how few goals we scored that year but if your side isn't scoring easily and you take out one of the players who can then you miss that player.
    The worry is that we've hardly started the season looking like a side that will score too many and one unpredictable source of the odd goal here and there has gone. We're going to be in transition this season, I think we need quite a few changes if we're going to compete, but I also would like some younger players given time.

Is it? Because last season despite having the 4th best goals scored record in the league, Paterson scored 5 (with zero assists, despite only ever playing in attacking roles) in total which puts him on par with Vaulks for goals scored. We won't miss him in the slightest, Moore has already got 2 in 3 and if Glatzel can produce a similar record to last year then Paterson's time as a striker will be a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Quality perhaps, but it would be very difficult to have more depth and bring through youngsters.
    When we've got senior players not getting in the team they're obviously going to get in ahead of a youngster if others are injured or lose form, so how would the youngsters ever get a game?

A young striker last season would have had Glatzel, Ward, Paterson and Vassell in front of them. A left winger Hoilett and Murphy. A left Back Bennett and Cunningham. A young goalkeeper Smithies and Etheridge. Similar stories all over the pitch.

Unless we make room for the younger players they are never going to play.
    And if they never play they are never going to become good enough.

I think it'll be a difficult season in the short term, but hopefully we can lay some good foundations.

But that side was 2 years ago, playing with different players, for a different manager and he only scored 5 anyway Its not like he banged in double figures for a struggling side

As Llandaf Blue has pointed out we scored plenty last season and he was only directly involved with 5 of them so where are is goals / assist going to be missed exactly?. Its not like weve sold Tomlin who chipped in with 20 goals / assists last season. Plus weve signed Moore who offers more than Paterson.

If we went into the new season having not signed Moore and not sold Paterson so he stays and competes with Glatzel for the strikers position people would have complained about that as they did for most of last season until Harris started getting a tune out of Glatzel. Seems Harris and the club cant win.

The way I see it is if the transfer was the other way round and we was signing Patterson from Sheffield Wednesday a make shift striker who is more of an utility player on 20k a week we would be up in arms and slating the club saying what are they doing? Showing a complete lack of ambition etc etc
    So £500k and a saving of £3 million in wages is a great bit of business for a player who isn't even starting and has no position of his own.

We're gearing up for life without the parachute money, and the belt is being well and truly tightened. I wouldn't be surprised if Covid is hitting Vincent Tan far worse than any of us. Shame really, as it's the same old story this season - spend £15m on three or four decent players, and promotion beckons.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We're gearing up for life without the parachute money, and the belt is being well and truly tightened. I wouldn't be surprised if Covid is hitting Vincent Tan far worse than any of us. Shame really, as it's the same old story this season - spend £15m on three or four decent players, and promotion beckons.
    Can’t blame him for tightening the belt tbh. Warnock wasted an absolute fortune bloating the squad with average players on long term contracts.