+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

Re: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

Just finished reading it and thoroughly enjoyed every page.

The John Toshack chapter opened some old wounds because I'd been nagging my parents to be able to go and watch City play for years. I was only 9 at the time and my mother was against it. Toshack was a player I only read and heard about and never saw play until 1979 for Wales.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my first match was Real Madrid. I got my uncle to take me and the rest, as they say, is history.

You mention an account in the Sunday New Of The World running a piece about the Toshack sale before the Monday papers covered it in full. Do you happen to know who the writer was? The main football journalist at the time was likely to have been Frank Butler but as it was a Cardiff City story it could have been my other uncle Lloyd Lewis who used to cover City in the late 1950's and early 1960's for the NOTW. Just thought I'd ask.

I will leave a review on Amazon this week and am looking forward to your next book!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Just finished reading it and thoroughly enjoyed every page.

The John Toshack chapter opened some old wounds because I'd been nagging my parents to be able to go and watch City play for years. I was only 9 at the time and my mother was against it. Toshack was a player I only read and heard about and never saw play until 1979 for Wales.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my first match was Real Madrid. I got my uncle to take me and the rest, as they say, is history.

You mention an account in the Sunday New Of The World running a piece about the Toshack sale before the Monday papers covered it in full. Do you happen to know who the writer was? The main football journalist at the time was likely to have been Frank Butler but as it was a Cardiff City story it could have been my other uncle Lloyd Lewis who used to cover City in the late 1950's and early 1960's for the NOTW. Just thought I'd ask.

I will leave a review on Amazon this week and am looking forward to your next book!
    Thanks very much and all reviews (good or bad) are appreciated.

I was around seven and a half when my father took me to my first match, but within a further eighteen months or so, my parents were prepared to let my go to games with my schoolmates who were all around the same age as me - I did know a few from school though who weren't allowed to go to games for a good few years after I started.

I may be wrong about the News of the World regarding the Toshack transfer. I can definitely remember that the story broke on the Sunday and that no one in our house knew about it until the following day - we had the Sunday Mirror and Sunday Express delivered when I was a kid, so it didn't appear in either of them.

I said the News of the World because I thought it was probably the most likely of the papers around then to have the story, but there were others like the People, the Mail etc. which could have been the ones to break it.

The last third or so of the book was written while we were in lockdown and it was a great way to pass the time, so, if it works out that we do have to stay in for sustained periods again, I may think about doing something else - God knows what it would be about mind!

I had thought about doing something similar to mark the fiftieth anniversary of our 75/76 promotion season, but that would, obviously, be a few years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I was around seven and a half when my father took me to my first match, but within a further eighteen months or so, my parents were prepared to let my go to games with my schoolmates who were all around the same age as me - I did know a few from school though who weren't allowed to go to games for a good few years after I started.

I may be wrong about the News of the World regarding the Toshack transfer. I can definitely remember that the story broke on the Sunday and that no one in our house knew about it until the following day - we had the Sunday Mirror and Sunday Express delivered when I was a kid, so it didn't appear in either of them.

I said the News of the World because I thought it was probably the most likely of the papers around then to have the story, but there were others like the People, the Mail etc. which could have been the ones to break it.

The last third or so of the book was written while we were in lockdown and it was a great way to pass the time, so, if it works out that we do have to stay in for sustained periods again, I may think about doing something else - God knows what it would be about mind!

I had thought about doing something similar to mark the fiftieth anniversary of our 75/76 promotion season, but that would, obviously, be a few years down the line.
    Your'e welcome and you should definitely write the 75/76 book.

Just the fact that your house had two Sunday papers delivered is a sign of past times. We always had the Sunday Pictorial (The ‘Pic’ which became the Sunday Mirror) and The People. I wouldn’t have thought that many households have two Sundays delivered nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Just the fact that your house had two Sunday papers delivered is a sign of past times. We always had the Sunday Pictorial (The ‘Pic’ which became the Sunday Mirror) and The People. I wouldn’t have thought that many households have two Sundays delivered nowadays.
    Would it still have been the Pictorial when Toshack was sold? I think it changed title back in the sixties didn't it? I'm not sure there'd be too many families who have one paper delivered on a Sunday now, I was still getting two Sunday papers (The Observer and Wales on Sunday) until quite recently, but I'd often get the latter in a Brains pub in town late on a Saturday night before catching the last bus home.

Would it still have been the Pictorial when Toshack was sold? I think it changed title back in the sixties didn't it? I'm not sure there'd be too many families who have one paper delivered on a Sunday now, I was still getting two Sunday papers (The Observer and Wales on Sunday) until quite recently, but I'd often get the latter in a Brains pub in town late on a Saturday night before catching the last bus home.
    I think The Pic changed to the Mirror around early/mid 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Corinthian Park was the Corries ground on Llandaff Rd, Coronation Park was the City’s ground on Sloper Rd, old double decker bus for changing rooms at one time Grange Albion’s ground now.
    That's correct. City's Welsh League team also used Corinthian Park and I remember going there to watch them play Haverfordwest because Mel Charles, Ivor Allchurch and Derek Tapscott were all playing for the visitors long after they'd left City.