+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: New Cardiff City book should be on sale within three days!

Just ordered the paperback. Will read it next week. Looking forward to it and all the very best wishes. It was my very first Cardiff City match. I still have the programme.

Brilliant, brought back so many memories. A few recollections. I was for some reason just as pissed off with us selling Peter Rodrigues a few years earlier and certainly Ramsey for a measly £5M later on. Tosh was at Radnor Road with me, same team, I was in goal. Lots of after school kickabouts on top-level of nearby Thompsons Park where you could incidentally look down on the Llandaf Road ground which was home of Cardiff Corries then (didn't know it was called Coronation Park though?).
    All those goals from crosses! I can remember every week Ronnie Bird, Nigel Rees and Peter King galloping to the goalline (pity our wingers dont do that more now) and Tosh, Clark and Warboys heading them in. Uncanny similar experience at St Andrews when my lift broke down and I hitched the last 30 miles to arrive at half-time (got in free!) into a very hostile atmosphere which I can remember to this day,..... and the Watford game. I would disagree and say that we would have won 99 times out of a 100! From the far end of the Bob Bank all I saw of the "goal" was Watford players appearing out of a duststorm which engulfed the whole penalty area, and running back to the halfway line.
    Trained it to Sheffield where indeed the Blades blew us away with fast attacking football and some excellent goals. To add to the surprise, the Bramall Lane ground only had 3 sides as one long side was open to a cricket field!
    Thanks again Paul. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ksbenchpwllheli View Post
    Brilliant, brought back so many memories. A few recollections. I was for some reason just as pissed off with us selling Peter Rodrigues a few years earlier and certainly Ramsey for a measly £5M later on. Tosh was at Radnor Road with me, same team, I was in goal. Lots of after school kickabouts on top-level of nearby Thompsons Park where you could incidentally look down on the Llandaf Road ground which was home of Cardiff Corries then (didn't know it was called Coronation Park though?).
    All those goals from crosses! I can remember every week Ronnie Bird, Nigel Rees and Peter King galloping to the goalline (pity our wingers dont do that more now) and Tosh, Clark and Warboys heading them in. Uncanny similar experience at St Andrews when my lift broke down and I hitched the last 30 miles to arrive at half-time (got in free!) into a very hostile atmosphere which I can remember to this day,..... and the Watford game. I would disagree and say that we would have won 99 times out of a 100! From the far end of the Bob Bank all I saw of the "goal" was Watford players appearing out of a duststorm which engulfed the whole penalty area, and running back to the halfway line.
    Trained it to Sheffield where indeed the Blades blew us away with fast attacking football and some excellent goals. To add to the surprise, the Bramall Lane ground only had 3 sides as one long side was open to a cricket field!
    Thanks again Paul. Great stuff.
    Thanks very much, glad it brought back so many memories.

Talking of Peter Rodrigues, he replied to my blog piece on Bob Wilson and I wrote back to him saying that he was probably my first City hero after I watched him score against Rotherham after being pushed up front in pre substitute days as nuisance value when he got injured.

You've got me thinking about Coronation Park/Corinthian Park now, I think you may well be right.

I remember John Toshack coming up to Fairwater to watch his younger brother play against Cantonian on a day when City had a home game and everyone spent more time watching him than the game.

I mention in the book that Charlie Woods who scored the winning goal in the game down here saying that Watford would go to Sheffield United on the last day of the season and do us a favour by winning there, but I didn't believe him for a second - they were a poor side whose goalkeeper (a Welshman!) just happened to play a blinder.

It's funny, before I wrote the book I knew of very few people who were at the Sheffield United game, but since it came out you're the fourth person to tell me they were there - they all say much the same as you about us being blown away.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks very much, glad it brought back so many memories.

Talking of Peter Rodrigues, he replied to my blog piece on Bob Wilson and I wrote back to him saying that he was probably my first City hero after I watched him score against Rotherham after being pushed up front in pre substitute days as nuisance value when he got injured.

You've got me thinking about Coronation Park/Corinthian Park now, I think you may well be right.

I remember John Toshack coming up to Fairwater to watch his younger brother play against Cantonian on a day when City had a home game and everyone spent more time watching him than the game.

I mention in the book that Charlie Woods who scored the winning goal in the game down here saying that Watford would go to Sheffield United on the last day of the season and do us a favour by winning there, but I didn't believe him for a second - they were a poor side whose goalkeeper (a Welshman!) just happened to play a blinder.

It's funny, before I wrote the book I knew of very few people who were at the Sheffield United game, but since it came out you're the fourth person to tell me they were there - they all say much the same as you about us being blown away.
    Corinthian Park was the Corries ground on Llandaff Rd, Coronation Park was the City’s ground on Sloper Rd, old double decker bus for changing rooms at one time Grange Albion’s ground now.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Corinthian Park was the Corries ground on Llandaff Rd, Coronation Park was the City’s ground on Sloper Rd, old double decker bus for changing rooms at one time Grange Albion’s ground now.
    That's correct. City's Welsh League team also used Corinthian Park and I remember going there to watch them play Haverfordwest because Mel Charles, Ivor Allchurch and Derek Tapscott were all playing for the visitors long after they'd left City.