+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Landon Donovan and San Diego Loyal

Landon Donovan and San Diego Loyal

I can already imagine how this thread will go but they walked off the pitch at HT because of the use of a homophobic slur, missing out on a chance of the playoffs in the process. Good on them, putting their money where their mouth is.

https://twitter.com/YahooSports/stat...907031552?s=20

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/...535287809?s=20

Re: Landon Donovan and San Diego Loyal

Btec Sludge

Did the referee indicate the slur was said in another language or were they indicating it was a slur not familiar with? "He said something in a language that I don't understand."

What is recorded, should be said that opposition team deny allegation of slur being used, and really not good enough is the opposition coach saying (along the lines of), "What of it? They're competing, don't make a scene. How long have you been playing football?"

There is no place for homophobia in our society.

He said that he called him bitch boy which apparently means gay. The ref said didn't hear it so can't act on it.

The other manager appears to be playing it down and looks bad on him.

I don't think the ref did anything wrong if doesn't understand the slur or didn't hear it.

Im not sure what the right thing to do it but can understand them walking off.

If the slur was heard then maybe the opposition manager should pull the guy out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    He said that he called him bitch boy which apparently means gay. The ref said didn't hear it so can't act on it.

The other manager appears to be playing it down and looks bad on him.

I don't think the ref did anything wrong if doesn't understand the slur or didn't hear it.

Im not sure what the right thing to do it but can understand them walking off.

If the slur was heard then maybe the opposition manager should pull the guy out of the game.
    I think it was batty boy, that makes more sense in context anyway

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I can already imagine how this thread will go but they walked off the pitch at HT because of the use of a homophobic slur, missing out on a chance of the playoffs in the process. Good on them, putting their money where their mouth is.

I follow Phoenix. I watched the game. I have no idea what actually transpired in terms of who said what.

Here's what actually happened though.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half Phoenix played the ball into SD penalty area and a Rising player went down theatrically. Ref declined to give a penalty. Ball was cleared. Moments later the ref stopped the game and gave the SD player involved in the penalty incident a red card. Complete confusion reigned. SD players surrounded the ref then Donovan came onto the pitch and remonstrated with the ref. The ref rescinded the red card - I have never seen that before. And why did the ref allow Donovan, the SD coach, onto the playing area with impunity? The half ended. Both teams trooped off. The two teams came on after the break. Ref gave Donovan a straight red (finally). Ref blew to start the second half with Phoenix in possession. SD just all took the knee, stood up and walked off. Game over. Phoenix awarded the points (I think) even though they were 3-1 down.

Rumours abound that Flemmings (arguably Phoenix' best player) uttered some homophobic trope in Jamaican patois. If he did, Phoenix should give them the points and discipline/get rid of him. If Schantz, the Phoenix coach, knew at the time he did it then he should go too.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    I follow Phoenix. I watched the game. I have no idea what actually transpired in terms of who said what.

Here's what actually happened though.

In stoppage time at the end of the first half Phoenix played the ball into SD penalty area and a Rising player went down theatrically. Ref declined to give a penalty. Ball was cleared. Moments later the ref stopped the game and gave the SD player involved in the penalty incident a red card. Complete confusion reigned. SD players surrounded the ref then Donovan came onto the pitch and remonstrated with the ref. The ref rescinded the red card - I have never seen that before. And why did the ref allow Donovan, the SD coach, onto the playing area with impunity? The half ended. Both teams trooped off. The two teams came on after the break. Ref gave Donovan a straight red (finally). Ref blew to start the second half with Phoenix in possession. SD just all took the knee, stood up and walked off. Game over. Phoenix awarded the points (I think) even though they were 3-1 down.

Rumours abound that Flemmings (arguably Phoenix' best player) uttered some homophobic trope in Jamaican patois. If he did, Phoenix should give them the points and discipline/get rid of him. If Schantz, the Phoenix coach, knew at the time he did it then he should go too.
    There is quite a clear video of what was said by Donovan

The phoenix player called the SD player, who is actually gay, a batty boi. Other player gets sent off, seemingly because he'd said gay- presumably in the context of "did you call me gay?" Or something. The ref didn't understand the slur which is fair enough. When he did he rescinded the red. Donovan said they'd walk if the other player wasn't sent off. Other coach asks Donovan how long he's played the game, the implication being that it's part of the game. Donovan emphatically rejects this as reasonable. Game over.

Basically, Donovan wins. The other coach makes clear he's a moron. Feel a bit sorry for the ref. But for Ali G I'd have no idea what it means either

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post

Good for them. Only way things will change.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    There is quite a clear video of what was said by Donovan

The phoenix player called the SD player, who is actually gay, a batty boi. Other player gets sent off, seemingly because he'd said gay- presumably in the context of "did you call me gay?" Or something. The ref didn't understand the slur which is fair enough. When he did he rescinded the red. Donovan said they'd walk if the other player wasn't sent off. Other coach asks Donovan how long he's played the game, the implication being that it's part of the game. Donovan emphatically rejects this as reasonable. Game over.

Basically, Donovan wins. The other coach makes clear he's a moron. Feel a bit sorry for the ref. But for Ali G I'd have no idea what it means either
    Flemmings has put out a statement. He says he never uttered a homophobic slur. Who knows what happened on the field. Seems to me Schantz has to go for his stance during the sideline rumpus. (Sorry for the Americanisms - I'll be calling it "soccer" next.)