+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to move outside Cardiff - Areas to AVOID

Looking to move outside Cardiff - Areas to AVOID

Hi all, currently live in Canton, used to live in Llanishen but since lock down and the fact that my work has propably now changed for good I'm going to be working from home a lot more so need the space. Money obviously goes a lot further outside of Cardiff, some lumpy houses in Pontypridd but what areas should I definitely avoid?

Wouldn't want to go further than a 25 min drive to Cardiff.

Any help or advice welcomed. Cheers.

Re: Looking to move outside Cardiff - Areas to AVOID

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    Hi all, currently live in Canton, used to live in Llanishen but since lock down and the fact that my work has propably now changed for good I'm going to be working from home a lot more so need the space. Money obviously goes a lot further outside of Cardiff, some lumpy houses in Pontypridd but what areas should I definitely avoid?

Wouldn't want to go further than a 25 min drive to Cardiff.

Any help or advice welcomed. Cheers.
    Llantrisant area? Whenever i''ve worked there it's seemed quite civil, I find that the test is visiting the local corner shop and seeing how many people are buying alcohol before 8am, if it's only a couple then you've got a chance. Bargoed was particularly bad when I visited. The locals had a penchant for 3 litre bottles of zappo super strength cider. Good luck.

I’m originally from Llantrisant and it does get busy with all the retail parks in Talbot Green.
    It might be worth taking a look at nearby Pontyclun and Miskin, as they offer slightly better access to the M4.
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 04-10-20 at 12:51. Reason: Typo

Barry. Obviously.

Pencoed/Llanharan area is ok and good access to M4

I live in Miskin, definitely recommend it as a place to live.

Bridgend has literally everything you need , good basic shopping , train station , easy link to M4 , lots of lovely countryside , its got its rough bits but everywhere has , the bridgend valleys are quite isolated but I know people who have lived there for years and would never move

Llantrisant, Pontyclun , Talbot Green , lots of facilities , right on the M4 , train etc

Don't know enough about the valleys and towns to North of Cardiff like pontypridd , aberdare , merthyr, porth Treorchy, , Caerphilly etc but lots of good people up there and loads to do

Barry is a hidden Gem as far as I am concerned . It has its bad side , any coastal former sea port that has seen better days is going to have .

But I find its a town I can go to that is like a mini cardiff and has lots of facilities without having to go into the city

I only go into cardiff to watch city , go to rock concerts and fish . I cant stand trawling up and down places like St davids 2 or Queen Street

With barry its got the waterfront which has morrisons , Asda, argos etc , Holton Road has some good places to shop , broad street isn't my scene at night but high street has lots of independent retailers , park Street on the way to Porthkerry has a decent pub and chippy , a fishing tackle shop for the likes of me , a lovely park , rommily, Porthkerry Park for families

The west side of Barry, Porthkerry, knap , pontypridd Road, marine drive etc is more expensive but its nothing like the exclusive parts of cardiff

I know people who live on the east side such a Cadoxton and they love it

Train station into cardiff in minutes

Living by the sea , whats not to like

Of course there are people who are dodgy but thats part of life

I like bridgend for the same reason as Barry but would say out of the two Barry has more going for it

Every single suburbs price has gone through the roof

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Every single suburbs price has gone through the roof
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Where?
    Llantrisant
    Caerphilly
    Llantwit Fadre
    Prices have gone up I’d say 5-10% in the last 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Bridgend has literally everything you need , good basic shopping , train station , easy link to M4 , lots of lovely countryside , its got its rough bits but everywhere has , the bridgend valleys are quite isolated but I know people who have lived there for years and would never move

Llantrisant, Pontyclun , Talbot Green , lots of facilities , right on the M4 , train etc

Don't know enough about the valleys and towns to North of Cardiff like pontypridd , aberdare , merthyr, porth Treorchy, , Caerphilly etc but lots of good people up there and loads to do

Barry is a hidden Gem as far as I am concerned . It has its bad side , any coastal former sea port that has seen better days is going to have .

But I find its a town I can go to that is like a mini cardiff and has lots of facilities without having to go into the city

I only go into cardiff to watch city , go to rock concerts and fish . I cant stand trawling up and down places like St davids 2 or Queen Street

With barry its got the waterfront which has morrisons , Asda, argos etc , Holton Road has some good places to shop , broad street isn't my scene at night but high street has lots of independent retailers , park Street on the way to Porthkerry has a decent pub and chippy , a fishing tackle shop for the likes of me , a lovely park , rommily, Porthkerry Park for families

The west side of Barry, Porthkerry, knap , pontypridd Road, marine drive etc is more expensive but its nothing like the exclusive parts of cardiff

I like bridgend for the same reason as Barry but would say out of the two Barry has more going for it
    Barry for me, it's as rough as ****, although my kind of rough. Reminds me a bit of Cardiff, the people that is. I love the island and the surrounding area.

Cheers all.... My sister lives in Llantrisant so that may be an option and I was put off Barry because of the reputation but as you say there are rough bits everywhere.... Where I am in Canton can sometime be ropey (Lansdowne Road between the Lansdowne pub and Lansdowne primary).

I will miss this area though as I can walk from my front door to my seat in the stadium in 24 mins!

Is Ponty as rough as it once was?!

First Team

Llantwit Major.
    Possibly nearer 35 minutes drive but there is a direct train and prices are reasonable for the Vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Barry for me, it's as rough as ****, although my kind of rough. Reminds me a bit of Cardiff, the people that is. I love the island and the surrounding area.
    I am not into going out in pubs , the only time I go into a pub is before a city match or before a gig , I avoid the Saturday night crowd so barry bridgend or cardiff at night don't bother me because apart from gigs I don't bother . I have never had any hassle in barry but there are areas where you have to be careful and sadly sometimes people are the victims of crime but you would expect that in a town which is one of the biggest in Wales.

It is very much like cardiff on a small scale , the accent is very similar , it had a seaport past , if you want trouble you will find it but on the whole its great . Plenty of facilities , beaches , the knap pebbles , Porthkerry Park, friars point for walks and I have to say it the best kebab house outside of bridgend . And thats a serious issue .

Quote Originally Posted by mbatte View Post
    Cheers all.... My sister lives in Llantrisant so that may be an option and I was put off Barry because of the reputation but as you say there are rough bits everywhere.... Where I am in Canton can sometime be ropey (Lansdowne Road between the Lansdowne pub and Lansdowne primary).

I will miss this area though as I can walk from my front door to my seat in the stadium in 24 mins!

Is Ponty as rough as it once was?!
    I went to the Grangetown carnival a few years back , a great day with people from all backgrounds and cultures enjoying themselves

But my friend lives in another part of Grangetown and its not very nice around there at night .

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    Llantwit Major.
    Possibly nearer 35 minutes drive but there is a direct train and prices are reasonable for the Vale.
    Llantwit is a great town , train station , large independent supermarket so although it costs a few more quid you don't have to travel , a great community centre CF61 , a spar , co op , chippy , kebab House, Chinese, Indian, good school , a good mix of housing with low cost and council housing , lovely walks along the town and coast , old llantwit which is lovely , the beach in the summer , surfing , fishing , st Donats arts centre near by and loads and loads of cardiff city fans

A few rough around the edges characters but far better in my opinion than a lot of the vale which is very pretentious and like rural Sussex, Kent and the rest of the home counties

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Barry. Obviously.
    How very dare you.

Although the town centre is one of the worst in Wales, Bridgend is a good area. Coity, Coychurch, Pencoed, there is lots of new house building, and has everything. the new developments in Coity are 2 mins to the big outlet store McarthurGlen and odeon cinema. 2 mins away from M4 junction for easy access to Cardiff or Swansea. 5 mins away from my golf club in Coychurch. and 10 min drive to Ogmore by sea, and 15 mins from Porthcawl.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Sorry to report the fishing tackle shop closed a year or so ago.

Any lockdown areas , move to West Wales

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    Although the town centre is one of the worst in Wales, Bridgend is a good area. Coity, Coychurch, Pencoed, there is lots of new house building, and has everything. the new developments in Coity are 2 mins to the big outlet store McarthurGlen and odeon cinema. 2 mins away from M4 junction for easy access to Cardiff or Swansea. 5 mins away from my golf club in Coychurch. and 10 min drive to Ogmore by sea, and 15 mins from Porthcawl.
    Great river full of trout in bridgend , also river Ewenny near Pencoed

Bridgend has a big tescos, Halfords , curry's, homebase , Asdas , aldis , lidl , home bargains , a great hospital , bridgend industrial estate , b and q , some old school shops in the town centre , some areas that are a bit rough , like all big towns but loads of big new estates and traditional housing

Porthcawl has some good fishing , in the ponds and off the sea wall and is a nice place to take the family in the summer . I wouldnt advise going around there at night and like bridgend it has pockets of poverty, deprivation and drug abuse

But I think bridgend and its surrounding towns are on the whole good places

Quote Originally Posted by islandblue View Post
    Sorry to report the fishing tackle shop closed a year or so ago.
    Barry Angling Centre , Park Street ?

Good bloke old Gerald, a right old sea dog

You could buy anything in there . Ramblers would come in looking for army surplus winter walking gear and boots

Great place

Spent hours in there chatting to Gerald and jesus , his second in command

Real shame its gone

Trebanog. An undiscovered jewel in the lower Rhondda.

Penalty, Sully or Dinas Powys

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Penalty, Sully or Dinas Powys
    Do you mean Penarth?