+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Welsh Premier loses 4th Europe spot

Welsh Premier loses 4th Europe spot

Seems like the Welsh Prem are set to lose the 4th European spot from 22/23 as we dropped outside the top 50 countries for Uefa Coefficient points. Why are we so awful in Europe compared to some of these countries/leagues? Cyprus, N.I and even Luxembourg are all comfortably above us. I can imagine approx £200,000 is a lot of money to lose out on for teams like Barry, Bala or Cardiff Met.

As Scotland seem set to a guaranteed CL spot and an additional CL qualifying spot with their wins this week.

From last week

https://twitter.com/UEFACalculator/s...074688/photo/1

Re: Welsh Premier loses 4th Europe spot

Almost certainly because all the largest towns and cities in Wales play in the English pyramid.
    Take Cardiff, Swansea, Newport, Wrexham and Merthyr and their surrounding areas out of the Welsh population and you're left with bugger all.
    In terms of population, the parts of Wales not following the English pyramid is probably comfortably less than N.I or Cyprus, and possibly Luxembourg as well.

Struggles for a couple of reasons.

All the best Welsh teams are outside the league system. Also all those best teams are the biggest ares as well, I do wonder if there are some talented footballers who could probably do a job but can't be bothered travelling to train play every week.

Also the fact the English system has so many professional teams means any decent Welsh player can earn a decent living playing league 2 / national league.

Also there's far too many places in these competitions. European football needs a shake up
    If Wales get 4 surely England should have 40

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    Also there's far too many places in these competitions. European football needs a shake up
    If Wales get 4 surely England should have 40
    Bang on Maza europa league draw today sees 12 groups of 4 all having to bore the pants of us with home and away fixtures, I suppose 2 go through then home and away knockout for me it’s pretty shit
    Viewing, especially with no fans at the moment.

I keep waiting for people to get bored with all those teams, and all those games, mainly featuring the same old teams every season. But they don't! No-one watches until the big sides come into it, then we all roll up like sheep. The football is great to watch, but it's the same teams every time.
    (Give it five minutes, and someone will come along and make me look daft, with stats that prove the exact opposite actually happens).

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I keep waiting for people to get bored with all those teams, and all those games, mainly featuring the same old teams every season. But they don't! No-one watches until the big sides come into it, then we all roll up like sheep. The football is great to watch, but it's the same teams every time.
    (Give it five minutes, and someone will come along and make me look daft, with stats that prove the exact opposite actually happens).
    I think you are right. Scotland football receives the regular places but all get knocked out at the preliminary stages of any European competitions

The Welsh team would have to play 25 games to win the competition.

I'd have no issue with an actual European league.

Just make europa league a knockout 1 tie game