+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu Jab

Re: Flu Jab

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isnt the vaccine for over 65's different? I'm under 65 but in the vulnerable group and have a flu jab booked with my gp for 3 weeks time (as thats when theyll have stock). They're currently doing jabs for over 65's.
    Not sure about that. I do know that in the summer the local GPs and NHS leaflets locally (across England I think) were advertising flu jabs this autumn for 60s and over - partly in response to Covid and with the intention of reducing the impact of seasonal flu and a second wave of Covid hitting together. There have been press and word of mouth stories around for the past month that supplies are not adequate and that GPs and pharmacies (who can also give the jab) will have to ration. The rationing decision is to row back on the intended expansion to 60s and over, at least for now. It may be different in Wales, but for England that seems to be the story, backed by a host of national press reports last week.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You sometimes catch the flu after the jab.
    Weird I know, but apparently that’s the way it works
    You can't get a flu infection from a flu vaccine. You can get a different strain of flu after you've been vaccinated. But the vaccine will not harm you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I wouldn't worry about getting a flu jab this year anyway. Flu virus, like COVID, is spread by coughs/sneezes. Surely this has to be the safest winter ever with regards catching flu - when did we last all wear face masks, use hand sanitiser and wash our hands every time we went in/out of the house?
    Yes I though the same , thank god folk are now becoming aware of personal hygiene , ones fitness , diet , all of which goes someway to savings ones life and help the NHS , and of course if one washes their hands that save on those illness its a benefit to society as a whole , with sneezing and coughing over folk pre Covid , well what a thing not to do is it ,especially around the vulnerable in life .

I've been getting the jab for well over a decade, had a mild reaction first time, nothing since.
    Last year I got the "over 65" version for the first time - it's a bit more potent than they give to 'youngsters'

Had this year's 10 days ago.

Still, no reactions, and no flu.

I got mine about an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I got mine about an hour ago.
    Do you have to pay or is it part of a sort of health package?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Do you have to pay or is it part of a sort of health package?
    If you have health insurance, which I do, it's "free". Otherwise, it costs about $30. You can get them at a chemist/drugstore or at a pharmacy in a supermarket. And obviously at a doctor's office.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isnt the vaccine for over 65's different? I'm under 65 but in the vulnerable group and have a flu jab booked with my gp for 3 weeks time (as thats when theyll have stock). They're currently doing jabs for over 65's.
    The vaccine for older people is usually an 'adjuvanted' vaccine. It has an additional active ingredient and helps boost the immune system.

Australia, now in winter months, reports a very low incidence of flu this year. The probable reason is that the Covid prevention measures now in place ie hygiene, social distancing, masks etc also help contain the spread of flu

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    The vaccine for older people is usually an 'adjuvanted' vaccine. It has an additional active ingredient and helps boost the immune system.

Australia, now in winter months, reports a very low incidence of flu this year. The probable reason is that the Covid prevention measures now in place ie hygiene, social distancing, masks etc also help contain the spread of flu
    Interesting - that's exactly what I thought would happen.

I had a Flu jab in work today (NHS). The plan was to give jabs to anyone over 60, but as a previous poster said, there simply aren't enough available (which is pretty staggering in itself. I mean, why not, if that was the plan?).
    Anyway, I was filling in the form before having the jab, and down the bottom it said something like "Please note you must allow 14 days between your flu jab and your Coronovirus vaccination".
    So I asked the nurse about the Coronovirus vaccine, and she says - Yes, we have one, but it's in very limited supply at the moment. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I had a Flu jab in work today (NHS). The plan was to give jabs to anyone over 60, but as a previous poster said, there simply aren't enough available (which is pretty staggering in itself. I mean, why not, if that was the plan?).
    Anyway, I was filling in the form before having the jab, and down the bottom it said something like "Please note you must allow 14 days between your flu jab and your Coronovirus vaccination".
    So I asked the nurse about the Coronovirus vaccine, and she says - Yes, we have one, but it's in very limited supply at the moment. Who knew?
    A friend of mine told me more than a month ago that a nurse told him that there would be a vaccine in October for Covid. I thought he'd misheard or something, but maybe he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A friend of mine told me more than a month ago that a nurse told him that there would be a vaccine in October for Covid. I thought he'd misheard or something, but maybe he didn't.
    Obviously one available on Pennsylvania Avenue

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Interesting - that's exactly what I thought would happen.
    Reports are 21,000 cases this year, around 250,000 last year. They also had a very high uptake for vaccination, but hygiene measures and lockdown must have played a large part in stopping the spread of flu.

Having one for the first time at 9.20 this morning. Haven’t bothered before but thought I’d go for it this year with all that’s going on, more protection perhaps?? Anyone had any adverse after effects?
    Yes I found myself following The Jacks for 48 hour.

Obviously one available on Pennsylvania Avenue
    Perhaps your right ,imagine the outpouring 🤑

all done

Keep getting invites to have this.....in France...never had one in my life....will not change now...

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Keep getting invites to have this.....in France...never had one in my life....will not change now...
    Why?

I’ve had no adverse reaction after Saturday’s jab, I know others have had a bit of trouble but I’m all for it from now on after a few years
    of not bothering. Can’t really see any reason to not have it.

You only have to have proper flu (not man flu) once to realise the vaccination is a sensible precaution.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    You only have to have proper flu (not man flu) once to realise the vaccination is a sensible precaution.
    I second that, had flu once, dear God, anybody who says that they’ve gone to work, the shops, anywhere with a ‘touch of the flu’ is kidding themselves, they’ve had a cold, maybe a bad cold but nonetheless a cold. Influenza totally incapacitates you, you are basically f*cked. It’s the jab every year for me now.

I second that, had flu once, dear God, anybody who says that they’ve gone to work, the shops, anywhere with a ‘touch of the flu’ is kidding themselves, they’ve had a cold, maybe a bad cold but nonetheless a cold. Influenza totally incapacitates you, you are basically f*cked. It’s the jab every year for me now.
    I heard that if you think you have flu...
    and a twenty pound note blows and sticks to the outside of your window...
    And you're able to go and get it - you haven't got flu!

International

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I heard that if you think you have flu...
    and a twenty pound note blows and sticks to the outside of your window...
    And you're able to go and get it - you haven't got flu!
    I only had proper flu once, when I was 26, and I couldn't stand for 3 days. I had to crawl to the toilet and my wife help me onto it. And at the time I was very very fit, ate healthily, played lots of different sports and had a good work fitness ethic. The £20 note would have stayed there.
    It is certainly no joking matter, like common colds (Man flu as women call it).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54457069

Some GP surgeries and pharmacies are running short of flu jabs due to "supply issues" across Wales, the health minister has said.

I am due mine plus the pneumonia jab due to my age