Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
I think Harris's hands have been tied somewhat. We're doing the exact same cost cutting exercise that Slade was brought in to do in preparation for the loss of parachute payments. Harris is trying to get us to play some football at least and that work is going to take some time. I don't think it's the way forward with this group of players, who, every time they play a longer, more direct game look more effective.

He got an average side into the playoffs last season from a position where few thought it was possible. True, Warnock reckoned that's where we would finish, but we certainly wouldn't have done so under him last season, while some of his transfers have tied our hands behind our back.

Having said that, there's something to be said about a manager who doesn't play to a team's strengths. If we want a better passing game we need players to do that job. Nothing will convince me that our midfield is remotely capable of being an effective, creative passing unit, especially without Tomlin. What's the answer? Go back to hoofball? Do we want some success even if we get fed up of the football or do we want to see some transition towards a more possession based game, even if we get fed up of the football?

If it was up to me I'd scrap the Warnockball project now, have a season of adjustment where we learn how to keep the ball. I don't mean tippy tappy, passing for the sake of passing, but time for our midfield to play football. It's been so long since that happened, to make that adjustment isn't going to happen overnight.

I'm not convinced about Harris but I'm more concerned about the lack of direction from above. If Harris can get all aspects of the club singing from the same hymn sheet then he'll have done well. There's no use having an under 23s side that can play football then try them out in a long ball side. The club needs a structure where all age groups are doing the same thing so they can make easier transitions. As an example, could you imagine having a top striker at under 23 level who is used to a side that plays a passing game, ball to feet, then gets picked for the first team and spends an hour trying to win flick ons? A co-ordinated effort I think it's called.
Good post (not dissimilar to mine in the match thread).
Just a shame it was posted in such a joke low value thread.