+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lockdown/Mental Health

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Lockdown/Mental Health

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Thats so sad, suicide is the leading cause of death for males under 45 , more than cancer , road accidents etc

Yet the funding put into mental health for men is next to nothing

Poor lad
    His best mate also committed suicide in the summer. It’s a worrying trend amongst younger people it seems, and I do think social media plays it’s part.

Social media is relentless and obviously the main influencer in today's society. The younger generation are obviously more embroiled with whatever is on it and it exerts more pressure on individuals.

I know older lads who have lost their box due to stuff on facebook, someone who is vulnerable can be easily influenced in doing harm to themselves particularly if they're unwell.

The positive I suppose is that access to relevant services is easily available.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    His best mate also committed suicide in the summer. It’s a worrying trend amongst younger people it seems, and I do think social media plays it’s part.
    Undoubtedly. There's no escape, even if it's not bullying or negative news, people are surrounded by other people displaying (often) false depictions of their lives which can lead to people unfavourably comparing themselves to their peers when it's not a true comparison.

Glad it wasn't around when I was a teenager tbh

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Undoubtedly. There's no escape, even if it's not bullying or negative news, people are surrounded by other people displaying (often) false depictions of their lives which can lead to people unfavourably comparing themselves to their peers when it's not a true comparison.

Glad it wasn't around when I was a teenager tbh
    100%

This pursuit of perfection is extremely worrying. Social media has taken the old phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" to crazy levels.

100%

This pursuit of perfection is extremely worrying. Social media has taken the old phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" to crazy levels.
    ditto

100%

Yeah and to top it off the Jones’ they are aiming to keep up with are mainly faking it on social media, trying to make themselves look minted or having the best time ever, it’s by and large total BS. I’ve known idiots like it, driving around in a Porsche boxter they don’t own, in clothes they bought on the credit card they can’t pay off, anything to present an image of wealth. Unfortunately the young and impressionable fall for it.