+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown/Mental Health

Lockdown/Mental Health

Anyone notice people really struggling? I’ve noticed, predominantly female but not exclusively, a real struggle with all this.

Personally haven’t bothered me in the slightest, my father exactly the same however loads of family members really not dealing well at all.

Anxiety and stress commonplace, for example my grandmother actively doesn’t want to go out or see anyone. Other family having breakdowns. God knows what’s happening with those with little family around.

This winter is going to be really tough

Re: Lockdown/Mental Health

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Anyone notice people really struggling? I’ve noticed, predominantly female but not exclusively, a real struggle with all this.

Personally haven’t bothered me in the slightest, my father exactly the same however loads of family members really not dealing well at all.

Anxiety and stress commonplace, for example my grandmother actively doesn’t want to go out or see anyone. Other family having breakdowns. God knows what’s happening with those with little family around.

This winter is going to be really tough
    Mental health can affect anyone and at the time of lockdown even more so . Previously people who were always on the ball can become stressed , anxious and depressed . For those with serious mental ill health the virus has been a nightmare .....no regular visits from psychiatric nurses , no appointments with psychiatrists , no support groups to go to , no mixing to deal with the sense of isolation .

If anyone is concerned about their or anothers mental health the first place of call should be the gp . They can offer counselling , although there is a long wait , anti depressants , general advice and , if needed a referral to the local mental health team for assessment . They may then get the help of a psychiatrist , nurse , support worker etc

If someone feels really unwell and needs to be seen now as they are trying or thinking of harming themselves they need to be seen by the emergency psychiatric liason team at accident and emergency . My nearest accident and emergency is bridgend Princess of Wales but there is one at the heath , Royal gwent , Prince Charles merthyr and there was one at the Royal Glamorgan llantristant but at present that is shut . Neath port Talbot does not have one as farcas I know .

In terms of other support there is the samaritans on 116123 , Call on 0800 132 737 , Calm on 0800 58 58 58

MIND have a national phoneline but I have found the local mind offices to be better , phoning people up for a regular chat

SWADS ........South Wales Anxiety Depression Support can be found online and are great

HAFAL offer a befriending service to anyone going through a tough time , branches throughout South Wales

PLATFORM , head office in bridgend offer training , skills and housing support

Four Winds in Cardiff have a listening and advice service

Bridgend have Mental Health Matters , a one stop advice service similar to MIND

All this can be found on the Internet

Stay safe

Great post, Sludge. I know a couple of people who are indeed very twitchy about the whole thing, to the extent that they will not go out of their homes. Yes, they are in the 'vulnerable' category (oldish, overweight) but still, life has to go on.

Your mental health matters. We believe that anyone who is experiencing mild to moderate mental health problems should be able to get the help and support they need, when they need it. That's why we're working with GPs, Local Health Boards, and the local Mind network to roll out Active Monitoring, our early intervention service, across Wales.

Coronavirus restrictions mean that instead of face-to-face meetings we can provide support over the phone and online. Emergency funding from WCVA and Welsh Government has allowed us to offer Active Monitoring across the whole of Wales until November 2020.

https://www.mind.org.uk/about-us/min...ve-monitoring/
    To add to list Sludge provided.

Yep usually strong mentally but it's really affected me. Moreso when I couldn't go to the gym. Take that away from me over the winter and I'll struggle again. More prepared this time though.

Sorry if this comes across as a little " braggy "

Ive really struggled in the last few weeks, We are just surviving in this current world, not living life at all, i have always been proud that ive always lived life to the maximum ( i am sure people will say " you are lucky then ", maybe i am, but its also been due to hard work )

Its funny people say " money doesnt buy you happiness " ive always said it helps, but currently, i am the richest ive ever been and cannot spend it on the things i want to do, so maybe they are right, I am not helped by work not being important to me as its just adding to the pile, a pile i just cannot spend, so its all a little pointless

Yesterday my mum told me my godfather went into the heath 2 weeks with a breathing issue, he died last with, he had Covid 19, so another downer

not sure i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though of course i know its coming soon

I honestly wouldnt like to be in this mood without my family, they are the light at the end of all of this i guess

I've definitely felt different. I've got 2 young kids and so they have been home constantly. One is now going to nursery.

Ive been working from home when used to working in an office with lots of people got on with.

I was suprised how much I have missed the interaction with people outside my family, including people in work. Im not someone who goes out with friends often will usually be a few times a year otherwise just a game of 5 a side or golf.
    I didn't realise how much release I got from work almost as my social life.

There's other pressures like being upstairs working when you can hear all hell going off. The weather has been a blessing but the more testing with the Welsh government so strict along with poorer weather isn't going to help.

I'd say as well that I've stuck to the rules more than 99% of people. That's why I think I've had enough of it as I don't feel enough has been done to consider how people are coping.

I'm certainly not having any dark thoughts but I would say it's impacted me as someone who has never had any experience with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    I've definitely felt different. I've got 2 young kids and so they have been home constantly. One is now going to nursery.

Ive been working from home when used to working in an office with lots of people got on with.

I was suprised how much I have missed the interaction with people outside my family, including people in work. Im not someone who goes out with friends often will usually be a few times a year otherwise just a game of 5 a side or golf.
    I didn't realise how much release I got from work almost as my social life.

There's other pressures like being upstairs working when you can hear all hell going off. The weather has been a blessing but the more testing with the Welsh government so strict along with poorer weather isn't going to help.

I'd say as well that I've stuck to the rules more than 99% of people. That's why I think I've had enough of it as I don't feel enough has been done to consider how people are coping.

I'm certainly not having any dark thoughts but I would say it's impacted me as someone who has never had any experience with stuff like this.
    Keep an eye on how you are feeling and ring up one of those phonetics for support if you need it

Calm 0800 58 58 58 is specifically for men , its open from 5pm till midnight , every day

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Sorry if this comes across as a little " braggy "

Ive really struggled in the last few weeks, We are just surviving in this current world, not living life at all, i have always been proud that ive always lived life to the maximum ( i am sure people will say " you are lucky then ", maybe i am, but its also been due to hard work )

Its funny people say " money doesnt buy you happiness " ive always said it helps, but currently, i am the richest ive ever been and cannot spend it on the things i want to do, so maybe they are right, I am not helped by work not being important to me as its just adding to the pile, a pile i just cannot spend, so its all a little pointless

Yesterday my mum told me my godfather went into the heath 2 weeks with a breathing issue, he died last with, he had Covid 19, so another downer

not sure i can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though of course i know its coming soon

I honestly wouldnt like to be in this mood without my family, they are the light at the end of all of this i guess
    0800 58 58 58 is a helpline for men , 5pm till midnight, 365 days a year , you might have to wait five minutes on hold but they are brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Yep usually strong mentally but it's really affected me. Moreso when I couldn't go to the gym. Take that away from me over the winter and I'll struggle again. More prepared this time though.
    dumbells at home , walk around the block

Please have a shower

This could and should be a thread that is both interesting and helpful. As someone who has been diagnosed with depression twice in the past and has been struggling recently, I would love to have shared some thoughts and observations. However, the usual suspect is going to hog the thread as he always does when the subject of mental health is touched upon, so it's a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    This could and should be a thread that is both interesting and helpful. As someone who has been diagnosed with depression twice in the past and has been struggling recently, I would love to have shared some thoughts and observations. However, the usual suspect is going to hog the thread as he always does when the subject of mental health is touched upon, so it's a waste of time.
    Share away Dave. Hope you're feeling better mate.

I wonder if men in particular are ill-equipped for something like this. I don't call people for a chat or to "connect"; there has to be a reason to do so. I'm 50 and still have friends who won't just meet for a pint and a chinwag but have to go for a proper session, as if to create something to talk about next time. We're conditioned to discuss achievements, work and practical issues.

I work from home, am single and live alone, so the lockdown hasn't made a big difference in practical terms but it was tough when I couldn't visit family. And, if I'm honest, it brought home how empty my life is. I'm okay though, and can get in touch with someone if I get really low.

There's been a lot of talk about not returning to the old negative norms with regard to economics and the environment and but there's a chance there need to be changes just in the everyday (certainly for me). Personally, there's more to be realised, and if that's pertinent to anyone else then I hope it comes good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    I wonder if men in particular are ill-equipped for something like this. I don't call people for a chat or to "connect"; there has to be a reason to do so. I'm 50 and still have friends who won't just meet for a pint and a chinwag but have to go for a proper session, as if to create something to talk about next time. We're conditioned to discuss achievements, work and practical issues.

I work from home, am single and live alone, so the lockdown hasn't made a big difference in practical terms but it was tough when I couldn't visit family. And, if I'm honest, it brought home how empty my life is. I'm okay though, and can get in touch with someone if I get really low.

There's been a lot of talk about not returning to the old negative norms with regard to economics and the environment and but there's a chance there need to be changes just in the everyday (certainly for me). Personally, there's more to be realised, and if that's pertinent to anyone else then I hope it comes good for you.
    Mortimer and Whitehouse's "Gone Fishing" on the BBC discussed this in it's final episode of series 3. Fantastic series for any man and everyone else too.

I find getting out walking really helps. Fresh air countryside, stop for a pint, keeps the weight off too 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Its been emotional View Post
    I find getting out walking really helps. Fresh air countryside, stop for a pint, keeps the weight off too 👍
    Yeah I agree, not been doing much walking recently so will get around Roath Park later. ✌️

This is a good subject to talk about. I suppose it depends on a lot of individual things. For me, it's the uncertainty. I see myself as quite spontaneous yet i do like an element of certainty in my life, things to look forward to that make life that little bit easier. I keep myself busy, whether working, running, doing stuff on the house etc. It's when i'm not mentally occupied that the anxiety can kick in a little. It's not just missing out on things though. Seeing youngsters having to adjust massively and the elderly and vulnerable having to take into account this situation at this stage in their life is totally shit. It's not pleasant to see collective behaviour, enjoyment etc, stifled so drastically.

Get cracking Mate!

I am really sorry to hear you have been struggling , I hope you are able to use some of the phonelines I have listed which through , like yourself , personal experience .....have been beneficial to me in the past . I know the way secondary mental health services work through personal experience and from the fact I used to work in the area of homelessness and many people with mental health problems are homeless .

You are welcome to ring me anytime you need support and advice

Take care of yourself and don't battle on in silence

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post

mental health problems in men of 45 and over are a serious matter that do not get the attention they should

The CALM charity are very good , they have a phone line and a website

I cant believe it is 12 years ago you said hello to me at Wembley

I felt I was in the company of jesus

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Mortimer and Whitehouse's "Gone Fishing" on the BBC discussed this in it's final episode of series 3. Fantastic series for any man and everyone else too.
    fantastic as you said mortimer is a real good guy

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    Yeah I agree, not been doing much walking recently so will get around Roath Park later. ✌️
    watch out for the terrapins

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    This is a good subject to talk about. I suppose it depends on a lot of individual things. For me, it's the uncertainty. I see myself as quite spontaneous yet i do like an element of certainty in my life, things to look forward to that make life that little bit easier. I keep myself busy, whether working, running, doing stuff on the house etc. It's when i'm not mentally occupied that the anxiety can kick in a little. It's not just missing out on things though. Seeing youngsters having to adjust massively and the elderly and vulnerable having to take into account this situation at this stage in their life is totally shit. It's not pleasant to see collective behaviour, enjoyment etc, stifled so drastically.
    keeping the mind active as a distraction is as you say so important , I have been sorting out my cd collection , getting my vinyl ready to sell , giving old clothes to the homeless , walking .....because I am a useless runner and look like an idiot in clowns shoes ......tidying my fishing tackle ready for the winter , phoning friends , taking unused books to the ty hafan charity shop .

But for others , especially the very vulnerable that isn't possible

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I am really sorry to hear you have been struggling , I hope you are able to use some of the phonelines I have listed which through , like yourself , personal experience .....have been beneficial to me in the past . I know the way secondary mental health services work through personal experience and from the fact I used to work in the area of homelessness and many people with mental health problems are homeless .

You are welcome to ring me anytime you need support and advice

Take care of yourself and don't battle on in silence

Best wishes
    This place can help as well. Let's face it, most of us when face to face with another bloke wouldn't dare open up on how we're feeling, it's usually ' I'm fine' then back to the usual jokey stuff. On hear it's anonymous, plenty of us middle aged who haven't got a clue how to express ourselves and put our thoughts to the back of our mind with sometimes awful consequences.

A little bit of support and solidarity on hear can make a difference, it can show that we're not alone, what worries us is quite common and that there are loads of blokes out there feeling the same way at different times in their lives.

Everyone's circumstances are different, what isn't different is that suffering with mental health can be a very lonely place where there is no pleasure, difficult for people on their own and the same for those who have dependents around them who look to that person to be strong and reliable. It ain't easy folks.

So if you've got something to get rid of then do it, bin it off like a piece of crap, if that place is here amongst similar people then ****ing crack on. Don't keep it to yourself, share the load brothers!

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    mental health problems in men of 45 and over are a serious matter that do not get the attention they should

The CALM charity are very good , they have a phone line and a website

I cant believe it is 12 years ago you said hello to me at Wembley

I felt I was in the company of jesus
    Gabriel or Jones? Nice of you to remember. It was a momentous occasion, as was the cup final.

Kind of you to list the various helplines. Hope you're keeping well.