+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best strikers in the last 20 years

Best strikers in the last 20 years

Chopra and Bothroyd all day. Earnie aswell but only from when we were lower leagues.
    those two had excitement and skill we hadn’t seen for a long time, and probably never will for a long time.

Re: Best strikers in the last 20 years

can't argue too much with that

bothroyd the best striker i,ve seen in a city shirt in the last 20 years no contest

was never a big earnie fan but when you look at his goal scoring feat it was pretty prolific .The only player to score a hat trick in all 4 divisions and on international duty too

yes they were fantastic to watch.
    interesting that both players didn't really do much of note anywhere else they played.
    worth noting as well that they played in front of a midfield who had some talented passers

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

bothroyd the best striker i,ve seen in a city shirt in the last 20 years no contest

was never a big earnie fan but when you look at his goal scoring feat it was pretty prolific .The only player to score a hat trick in all 4 divisions and on international duty too
    And in the League Cup and FA Cup.

earnie was the type of player who could score a hat trick and still manage to give the impression that he'd never played the game before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    earnie was the type of player who could score a hat trick and still manage to give the impression that he'd never played the game before.
    always used to get alot of stick on here and further afield when i always said earnie couldn't trap a bag of cement and to this day i stand by that statement but a great goal scorer

not sure he would be so prolific now in what i call the semi robotic football world we now live in

always used to get alot of stick on here and further afield when i always said earnie couldn't trap a bag of cement and to this day i stand by that statement but a great goal scorer

not sure he would be so prolific now in what i call the semi robotic football world we now live in
    Earnie had something that cannot be coached or taught......he had a poacher's instinct of being in the right place at the right time. On top of that his finishing at times was sublime, certainly the most natural goalscorer I've seen in a city shirt. He wasn't much of a player outside the box and yes his most prolific goalscoring seasons were in the lower leagues but boy what a finisher he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Earnie had something that cannot be coached or taught......he had a poacher's instinct of being in the right place at the right time. On top of that his finishing at times was sublime, certainly the most natural goalscorer I've seen in a city shirt. He wasn't much of a player outside the box and yes his most prolific goalscoring seasons were in the lower leagues but boy what a finisher he was.
    will never forget the hat trick he scored at loftus road against QPR on a night game all those years ago . 3 sublime finishes which sent us away fans into a frenzy great times i,m sure alot on here were at the game

I think Ross McCormack deserves a mention, he was better than Chopra during his second and third spells with us in my opinion, but both of those and Bothroyd would have struggled for goals if they had been playing for us in the last three or four seasons.

Bothroyd is the best striker ive seen in a City shirt.

Chopra 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think Ross McCormack deserves a mention, he was better than Chopra during his second and third spells with us in my opinion, but both of those and Bothroyd would have struggled for goals if they had been playing for us in the last three or four seasons.
    I was going to say Rossco, I absolutely loved him when he was here

Bothroyd was staggeringly talented. If he had got his head sorted out he wouldn’t have been playing in the Championship. Your comment about Bothroyd, Chopra and McCormack struggling to score if they played for us at the moment is very true.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I was going to say Rossco, I absolutely loved him when he was here
    Think i heard on the radio yesterday that he’s at Rochdale now.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Think i heard on the radio yesterday that he’s at Rochdale now.
    I thought he signed for Aldershot a couple of weeks ago?

I think he signed for Aldershot a couple of weeks ago?
    He did yeah. When he scored that goal against Burnley at Ninan Park and ran to the Bob Bank I thought we were going up for sure

EDIT: This must be the game I'm thinking of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ty/7997296.stm

I thought he signed for Aldershot a couple of weeks ago?
    You’re right. Just caught a quick comment, and for some reason thought it was Rochdale the host had mentioned.😄
    It would be interesting to start a thread about who former Cardiff City players ended up playing their very last professional game for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Bothroyd is the best striker ive seen in a City shirt.

Chopra 2nd.
    Have to agree with you. Bothroyd could be magical with the ball at his feet and he'd scare the hell out of defenders when running at them. He certainly wasn't a good header of a ball though but that was his only real weakness.

Both/Chops/Burkey up front was as good a City forward line as I'd seen since the Toshack era and it is hard to believe even now that we couldn't quite do enough to get us promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Have to agree with you. Bothroyd could be magical with the ball at his feet and he'd scare the hell out of defenders when running at them. He certainly wasn't a good header of a ball though but that was his only real weakness.

Both/Chops/Burkey up front was as good a City forward line as I'd seen since the Toshack era and it is hard to believe even now that we couldn't quite do enough to get us promoted.
    He was good in the air defending corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    He was good in the air defending corners.
    True, I'd forgotten about that !! Anything delivered at the near post he would head away.

Bothroyd was an outstanding striker when on top form

Earnie best finisher by a mile (although Chops was pretty useful as well)

Keiffer has the potential to be very, very good but we need to play a more attacking formation to get the best out of him

In my opinion Chopra was the best, his movement was superb. He scored more than Bothroyd and McCormack, but for goals scored it has to be Earnie, I think he is second highest league goalscorer with us? He has 86 League goals , and surprisingly Peter Whittingham has 85 according to Soccerbase, just ahead of Jimmy Gill on 82. Len Davies leads with 128. Clark and Toshack are in the high 70s.

Whitts scored more goals for us than all the strikers except Earnie, but he did play a lot more goals.

My old Ely neighbour Stan Richards had an unbelievable goals per game ratio record for us, Swansea Town and Barry Town. He allegedlly used to have 2 pints before each home game as well 😁 .
    I know we are talking the last 20 yrs, but he’s always worth a mention when City goal scorers are discussed

Earnie
    Chops
    Jay
    Thorny.

And hopefully Moore

McCormack was a better all round player than Chopra was, he could come and get the ball and pick a pass, a very good player with great feet and vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    McCormack was a better all round player than Chopra was, he could come and get the ball and pick a pass, a very good player with great feet and vision.
    Agreed. I never liked the way he was shoved out on the wing to bring Chopra back.