Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
Football is full of fads - and clubs who follow them. How many times do you see a PL side take a short corner, get closed down, pass back to another player, then back to a defender and even the keeper. Or take a free kick on the half way line and pass it back - and across - and back, and then ends up back with the keeper. Sides like Sheff. Utd and Leeds and many others have seen through 'the Emperors new Clothes' fashion of endless tapping the ball nowhere. It is[and was] as boring as sh*t as well, despite what the so-called pundits say..
It's a bit like the game rock, paper, scissors. No matter which one you choose, or from a football perspective which playing system you operate, there is always an option that ultimately can be used to nullify the opposition.

It may take time to work out the best way to counteract your opponent's style of play but with the right players who are fully drilled and confident it can be done.

Going back to my original thread, more and more teams are pressing in numbers and it is becoming increasingly difficult to successfully navigate a way out of defence and catch your opponents undermanned further up the pitch. We are not talking about magicians like Iniesta and Xavi, who looked like they had the ball glued their feet. We are talking about the likes of Maguire, Stones and their ilk who are I'll prepared to adopt this high risk strategy.

So many goals nowadays seem to be conceded this way in high profile matches, I wouldn't be surprised if teams start to re-evaluate its worth or at least use it more sparingly.