+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: This passing out from the back malarkey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: This passing out from the back malarkey

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    Do you watch football at all?
    Probably a lot more and for a lot longer than you matey.

Don't get me wrong. As a tactic and with the right players, it can be an effective way to retain possession as opposed to a hopeful punt upfield. However, there are times when to doggedly pursue this tactic is taking too much of a risk and will invariably mean that the ball is lost in a very dangerous area.

You also need to consider the state of the game. If you're winning by a single goal with 10 minutes to play, do you still advocate one-twos with your goalkeeper in and around the six yard box ? I think not and if you were down the City you like most of the fans would be screaming for the defender to clear it away from the danger area.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Probably a lot more and for a lot longer than you matey.

Don't get me wrong. As a tactic and with the right players, it can be an effective way to retain possession as opposed to a hopeful punt upfield. However, there are times when to doggedly pursue this tactic is taking too much of a risk and will invariably mean that the ball is lost in a very dangerous area.

You also need to consider the state of the game. If you're winning by a single goal with 10 minutes to play, do you still advocate one-twos with your goalkeeper in and around the six yard box ? I think not and if you were down the City you like most of the fans would be screaming for the defender to clear it away from the danger area.
    I seriously doubt that first sentence, if you can't think of any teams that do it well then you don't pay much attention to what you're watching. Spanish and Dutch teams have been doing it for over a decade now, I remember Napoli under Sarri being great at it too. Only since Pep's arrival in England have we seen more English teams move toward it

Off the top of my head, Man City, Brighton, Leeds, Arsenal (under Arteta) play out from the back and are comfortable doing it.

It isn't intended to retain possession, it's used to create a numerical advantage further up the pitch. If the opposition commit 3/4 attacking players to press and the side in possession are comfortable with the ball, they can play through the press and launch a quick attack.

Your last paragraph is daft, no team plays one-twos with their keeper in the final 10 minutes. Playing out is obviously situational and if I saw our players attempt it I would definitely encourage it, though I would be worried giving neither our defenders or midfielders are good enough on the ball to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    I seriously doubt that first sentence, if you can't think of any teams that do it well then you don't pay much attention to what you're watching. Spanish and Dutch teams have been doing it for over a decade now, I remember Napoli under Sarri being great at it too. Only since Pep's arrival in England have we seen more English teams move toward it

Off the top of my head, Man City, BRIGHTON , Leeds, Arsenal (under Arteta) play out from the back and are comfortable doing it.

It isn't intended to retain possession, it's used to create a numerical advantage further up the pitch. If the opposition commit 3/4 attacking players to press and the side in possession are comfortable with the ball, they can play through the press and launch a quick attack.

Your last paragraph is daft, no team plays one-twos with their keeper in the final 10 minutes. Playing out is obviously situational and if I saw our players attempt it I would definitely encourage it, though I would be worried giving neither our defenders or midfielders are good enough on the ball to make it work.

They pass it 3 times, then the broken nosed centre halfs, LUMP-IT