+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Tomlin

Lee Tomlin

A comment posted by Ryder Bluebird in yesterday match thread caught my attention. RB said: "Before we all get on Tomlin's back, let's just remember how many games he's won for us. His credit score with Cardiff is heavily on the plus side. Not condoning a rash and stupid rush of blood to the head, but cut him some slack."

I think RB's view that Tomlin's credit score with Cardiff is heavily on the plus side would be echoed by many City fans, but is that really an accurate assessment of his time so far in South Wales? Is he heavily in credit with the club? I had a quick skim through his stats this morning and they paint an interesting picture. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions:

Tomlin signed for City in July 2017 for a fee reported to be around the £2.5 million mark. Since then, the first team has played a total of 149 competitive matches. Tomlin has started just 34 of those games and played the full ninety minutes on only 15 occasions. He has scored 11 goals.

Incredibly, Tomlin didn't play the full 90 minutes in a single league game under Neil Warnock's management. The only full games he played under the manager who signed him were EFL and FA cup ties against Portsmouth, Burton and Mansfield. Tomlin's first full league game for Cardiff was on 30/11/19 in a 1-0 victory at Nottingham Forest, two years and four months after he joined the club.

Since Neil Harris became City's manager in November 2019, the first team has played a total of 41 competitive matches. Tomlin has undoubtedly established himself an important figure for the Bluebirds under Harris's leadership, although he's actually started less than half of those 41 games (18) and has played the full 90 minutes in just 12 of them. However, Tomlin has scored 9 goals since the former Millwall boss arrived - a huge improvement on his stats under Warnock. He's also created a number of goals and his performances have generally been far more influential than they were while Warnock was his manager.

Re: Lee Tomlin

Heavily in credit since Harris came in.

Lets hope he shows that form when his suspension ends.

Tomlin gave an interview to the Mail last summer where he said he was finally in a good place mentally. Either his fitness and/or Warnock's vision of "super-Warnockball" meant he hardly featured until change of manager but the several months under Harris were good ones for him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    A comment posted by Ryder Bluebird in yesterday match thread caught my attention. RB said: "Before we all get on Tomlin's back, let's just remember how many games he's won for us. His credit score with Cardiff is heavily on the plus side. Not condoning a rash and stupid rush of blood to the head, but cut him some slack."

I think RB's view that Tomlin's credit score with Cardiff is heavily on the plus side would be echoed by many City fans, but is that really an accurate assessment of his time so far in South Wales? Is he heavily in credit with the club? I had a quick skim through his stats this morning and they paint an interesting picture. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions:

Tomlin signed for City in July 2017 for a fee reported to be around the £2.5 million mark. Since then, the first team has played a total of 149 competitive matches. Tomlin has started just 34 of those games and played the full ninety minutes on only 15 occasions. He has scored 11 goals.

Incredibly, Tomlin didn't play the full 90 minutes in a single league game under Neil Warnock's management. The only full games he played under the manager who signed him were EFL and FA cup ties against Portsmouth, Burton and Mansfield. Tomlin's first full league game for Cardiff was on 30/11/19 in a 1-0 victory at Nottingham Forest, two years and four months after he joined the club.

Since Neil Harris became City's manager in November 2019, the first team has played a total of 41 competitive matches. Tomlin has undoubtedly established himself an important figure for the Bluebirds under Harris's leadership, although he's actually started less than half of those 41 games (18) and has played the full 90 minutes in just 12 of them. However, Tomlin has scored 9 goals since the former Millwall boss arrived - a huge improvement on his stats under Warnock. He's also created a number of goals and his performances have generally been far more influential than they were while Warnock was his manager.
    After being pretty critical of him, Tomlin won me around last season, but I can't say I'm surprised by that stat about how many matches he has started under Neil Harris. For whatever reason, he is one of those players who really needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool so to speak and, as I mentioned in my blog piece on yesterday's game, he's had no pre season at all really due to the injury he picked up in the final minutes of last season. Granted, pre season has been severely curtailed this year, but I can think of a few City players who we didn't see the best of through a season because they had missed the preparatory work for it because of injury.

I wonder if the suspension will be a blessing in disguise for him as he won't be playing any competitive football in that time, so will be able to get three weeks training under his belt and gel with the new lads a bit more.

Yeah the international break and the 2 games can hopefully help build up his fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Yeah the international break and the 2 games can hopefully help build up his fitness.
    It's a one-match ban for a sending off due to a second yellow card, isn't it?

Tomlin is definitely in credit since Harris took over. Last season, he was the difference between us and mid-table mediocrity.

Before that, he was just another in the long list of players that Warnock signed and then almost immediately decided that he didn't fancy.

In Credit over the last 12 months definitely, but due to injuries hasn’t contributed anything at all this season

Yesterday’s sending off was stupid and not acceptable from an experienced professional

Hopefully, the 3 week lay off will help get him fully fit, because if we are to get in the top 6 again we need him fit and firing

He shouldn't be starting unless things change. He's not fit and he's not a team player. He doesn't play methodically. He did nothing positive yesterday and although a draw was probably a fair result, he took away any chance we had of winning when he reduced our side to 10 men. Yes, he is capable of some fantastically skillful play, but at the moment he is a luxury we can't afford.

Harris is caught between a rock and a hard place.
    He is trying to play a bit of football with a limited squad and Tomlin looks like the only player we have who can unlock an organised outfit.

Tomlin was hardly in the game yesterday. He is, as you say, unfit and his sending off showed his frustration.
    I hope he hasn't gone back to his bad boy days as it means that he is struggling.

Regarding the OP, Tomlin is in credit. Just.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

At the start of last season I reckon most City fans had expected Tomlin to leave. When it transpired he was staying, most were happy to give him a second chance, knowing he has ability.

I wonder about Warnock's judgement of not putting Tomlin in our Premier League squad. He could easily been in instead of Damour or Healy, even if just for small cameos.

It just highlights how desperate we are for a starter at 10, with Tomlin as the back up.
    Out of interest, how do posters feel about how he compares to players in teams from the Dave Jones/Malky era?
    I just can’t help feeling that good as he is in fits and starts, that our appreciation of him is slightly over egged because of a lack of creativity elsewhere in the team.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    It just highlights how desperate we are for a starter at 10, with Tomlin as the back up.
    Out of interest, how do posters feel about how he compares to players in teams from the Dave Jones/Malky era?
    I just can’t help feeling that good as he is in fits and starts, that our appreciation of him is slightly over egged because of a lack of creativity elsewhere in the team.
    With this in mind I wonder if he would consider bringing in Adoma and switching Ojo to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    With this in mind I wonder if he would consider bringing in Adoma and switching Ojo to 10.
    It’s an interesting thought (Oho at 10), but could he get Murphy on at right wing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    I remember Tomlin ripping us apart in his Peterborough days. He's an extremely talented player, no doubt about it

Fully fit he'd have walked into our side under Mackay imo

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    At the start of last season I reckon most City fans had expected Tomlin to leave. When it transpired he was staying, most were happy to give him a second chance, knowing he has ability.

I wonder about Warnock's judgement of not putting Tomlin in our Premier League squad. He could easily been in instead of Damour or Healy, even if just for small cameos.
    Warnock overlooked one of our best players in Reid for huge swathes of the season, he had no interest in creative players.

Had he shown the ambition he did at Old Trafford a bit more throughout the season, I think we'd have stayed up, but his refusal to allow creative players a bit more leeway was our undoing in the PL and its one of the reasons Tomlin never really got a run of games

Yes he's an obvious talent, but flawed. And now older and seemingly either injured io unfit most of the time. And he was given a new improved contract?! Having said that where would City have ended up last season without his goals and assists, top on both at the club. His first two years with us were wasted though.

Without him we have no creativity though so i wonder why all our other midfielders are the same type of player and that the club ha snot found a decent replacement for him. But good footballing midfielders are hard to find and expensive too.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember Tomlin ripping us apart in his Peterborough days. He's an extremely talented player, no doubt about it

Fully fit he'd have walked into our side under Mackay imo
    You reckon he was a Mackay type of player?

I reckon that the best way to judge a player is gut instinct, it's what you see and feel. Tomlin can make a pass that most players couldn't even dream about. He has vision and awareness beyond anything at the club and most others at this level. Would a club with real aspirations of gaining automatic promotion bring him in and start him regularly? I very much doubt it.

Did I hear right on Sky, I thought I heard them say, "It was his 10th sending off !!!!!!!

If we are level in a game, say after 60/70 minutes, he is definitely an ‘aw shite’ type of player inasmuch as the opposition players and fans are likely to say this when they see his number being flashed up on the fourth official’s board to come on. It’s a reflection on the personnel that we have at the club that this situation is increasingly our most potent tactic. We need a signing or two by tomorrow desperately.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    If we are level in a game, say after 60/70 minutes, he is definitely an ‘aw shite’ type of player inasmuch as the opposition players and fans are likely to say this when they see his number being flashed up on the fourth official’s board to come on. It’s a reflection on the personnel that we have at the club that this situation is increasingly our most potent tactic. We need a signing or two by tomorrow desperately.
    Spot on. We shouldn't end up in that position as often as we seem to. We need a couple of players with the ability to take control of a game, make a difference. Our midfield is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Did I hear right on Sky, I thought I heard them say, "It was his 10th sending off !!!!!!!
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was right.

As for whether Tomlin would get in Dave Jones' sides, to me it would be one out of him and Whitts, not both and, if it was Whitts at his best and Tomlin at his best, it would be Whitts every time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if that was right.

As for whether Tomlin would get in Dave Jones' sides, to me it would be one out of him and Whitts, not both and, if it was Whitts at his best and Tomlin at his best, it would be Whitts every time.
    Problem is Dave Jones played 442. So not an ideal set up for Tomlin.

I still think he improves the line up if at his best. Either central midfield or in one of the wide positions