+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Bob Wilson

Our Bob Wilson

Sad news that our former goalkeeper Bob Wilson has died aged 77. he will be remembered for a last minute blunder against SV Hamburg in the semi final of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1968. He was second choice 'keeper at the time and City had signed Fred Davies a few months before, but he was ineligible for the games v Hamburg. apparently he had a superb game in the first leg.

We signed him from Villa for £2000 in 1964 and he played over 100 games for us, before being displaced by Davies. I think the Hamburg game was his last for us, he had a one game loan spell with Bristol City before moving to Exeter and playing over 200 games for them.

Always sad to see the loss of a former Bluebird, and so soon after Fred Davies passed away too.

Re: Our Bob Wilson

RIP Bluebird Bob.

That's a shock.
    RIP

I for one never blamed Bob for what happened at the Hamburg game. He got down well to save the shot but in so doing he imparted so much backspin on the ball that although it went forward from his outstretched hand, it viciously span back towards the goal and into the net.

RIP Bob

RIP Bluebird.
    Spedger

We’d have never got so far in the ECWC that season if not for Bob, and to go from Combination games to Euro ties was some jump, RIP Bob.

RIP The Real Bob Wilson

The end of 2020 cannot come soon enough.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Rest in peace bluebird

RIP: Bob.
    May his memory be a blessing.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The end of 2020 cannot come soon enough.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Nice piece that Bob

Although I was a bit too young to remember the real Bob Wilson playing in goal for us, he certainly left his mark in our great club's history.
    I'm not sure how the supporters in general thought about Schoular's stance after that fateful game but after reading recently the excellent "From Tashkent with love" I felt really sorry for the man.
    Who'd be a keeper eh?

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Sad news that our former goalkeeper Bob Wilson has died aged 77. he will be remembered for a last minute blunder against SV Hamburg in the semi final of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1968. He was second choice 'keeper at the time and City had signed Fred Davies a few months before, but he was ineligible for the games v Hamburg. apparently he had a superb game in the first leg.

We signed him from Villa for £2000 in 1964 and he played over 100 games for us, before being displaced by Davies. I think the Hamburg game was his last for us, he had a one game loan spell with Bristol City before moving to Exeter and playing over 200 games for them.

Always sad to see the loss of a former Bluebird, and so soon after Fred Davies passed away too.
    R.I.P Bob. He was a little bit before my time as a City supporter. I remember that game v Hamburg as an 8 year old, although I didn't go. Was staying in my great aunts house on Ninian Park Road, towards Kitchener Road school. I could hear the roar of the crowd and the singing from the Grange End load and clear from an upstairs bedroom where I was supposed to be sleeping. Hearing that noise for 90 minutes plus, I just couldn't wait to get to my first game.

Never heard (or not really) a crowd go so silent, so quickly, as that night against Hamburg.

It was eerie !!!

Bob was a great keeper, RIP bluebird

RIP Bluebird